Synthesis Essay Practice
After reading and taking notes on the assigned synthesis prompt, please respond
thoughtfully to the following questions.
1. What position on the prompt would you take (defend, challenge or qualify)?
2. Write your position as a thesis statement. Thesis statement should have a
“because” clause that gives one over-arching reason that supports your
3. For each of the six sources, do the following:
A. Identify its main argument in your own words.
B. Say whether you would use it in your essay and explain why or why
C. For each source that you would use (minimum three), identify one or
two key points that each present and indicate whether you would
directly quote, paraphrase or summarize it.
4. What ideas and examples would you include from your own studies and
5. How would you organize your paper? What will your supporting
claims/reasons be? Write as complete sentences.
6. Identify the qualities of the high-scoring paper, according to the analysts.
Explain what distinguishes it from the medium-scoring essay.