Docstoc

Coe.uncc.edu - WordPress for the College of Engineering Faculty

Document Sample
Coe.uncc.edu - WordPress for the College of Engineering Faculty Powered By Docstoc
					From: Stein, Jack
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2011 8:30 AM
To: Johnson, Bob; Smelser, Ron
Cc: Castaneda, Armando; Desgraves, Sean; Dyer, Rodney; Edgecombe, Jason; Rhodes, Terry; Whisler, Dave; Verner, Andrew; Hatley, Nathaniel;
Gortney, William; Hayes, Raven; Edwards, Travis; 'Andrew Stein'; Plover, Mark; Speice, Bradlee; Poindexter, Andrew; Barton, Crystal; Colson,
Daniel; Wighton, Shane; Labko, Eugene; Weber, David
Subject: Mosaic and PCS status for week ending August 8,2011 – August 14,2011

Mosaic and PCS status for week ending August 8,2011 – August 14,2011

Mosaic and PCS usage status for week ending August 8,2011 – August 14,2011 (5 minute increment; max usage/total number of seats in lab):
                Duke                   Woodward                 Cameron             Smith
                242 (14/53)            208 (7/12)               213 (3/20)          260 (20/33)
                323 (7/25)             237 (1/17: Linux)        109 (6/38)          249 (19/44)
                                            (2/17: Windows)
                                       243 (0/17) -closed       113 (12/19)         229 (0/30) closed
                                                                                    225 (16/43) closed

                 a.   Preparations under way to have all Mosaic labs in tip top shape for the fall semester.
                                                         rd
                 b.   Student work areas usage in Smith 3 floor corridor and nook areas as well as the Duke 242 lab showing moderate usage for the summer
                      session.
                 c. Mosaic labs usage is very low, as expected for the summer usage pattern; Woodward 243, Cameron 109, Smith 225, Smith 229 and
                      Smith 260 are closed for the summer and open up only on special request from a faculty or staff member.
                 d. Mosaic Anywhere servers usage has leveled off to a peak of 38 out of 85 servers in use on 8/8/11 at about 12:31 pm.
                 e. Linux X-server usage on the compute server has decreased; Linux X-Server usage on the general purpose Linux servers has decreased
                       (see graph below).
                 f. COEConnect usage for July has declined slightly –suspect that this due to summer schedules for faculty and staff (see graph below).
                 g. Total Work Orders volume in PCS has increased in July. The graphs also show the split between WO for students and faculty/staff.
                       Faculty/staff WO volume has increased (see graph below)
                 h. Customer tickets volume for July 2011 has increased (see graph below for end of July data)
   Migration efforts from Unix to Linux on our infrastructure:
        File Servers:
        a. Here is an update on data migration:

                 Remaining data moves:
          ·         fs-ece1       Printing & Data (migration in progress)
          ·         fs-me1        Printing

          ·         fs-me5         Disk Farm To Be Determined

     Solaris Servers
         ·      fs-sm3              Printing

          ·         fs-arc2       Printing

     c.       Linux AFS Fileservers in production

                ·       fs-sm6
                ·       fs-sm8
                ·       fs-ece5
                ·       fs-ece6
                ·       fs-me6
                ·       fs-me7

d.    Web Server migrate off Unix:
       1.     Transition to Linux web services complete. Unix web server is shut down.
       2.     Reduced the number of Web Server in our pool from 5 to 2.

·     Printing migrated off Unix:
         1.    Plan to have this done in the summer of 2011.

·     Back End file servers support (VLDB, Kerberos) migrated off Unix:
         1. Plan to have all VLDB services running off Linux by August 18 (we have one running in Duke)
         2. Plan to have the KDC services running off Linux this by Sept 1,2011.
·     Oracle servers migrated off Unix:
         1.    Plan to have this done in Spring 2012
·     MySQL Serves migrated off Unix
         1.    Plan to have this done in Dec of 2011
·     Tape data Backup server migrated off Unix:
         1.    Plan to have this done in Dec of 2011
Windows:
    Mosaic Software Update for Windows XP: After discussion with Dr. Gary Wilson and the software vendor, XPROPOS 2.0 had to be re-released.
      Tested Microsoft Expression Web 4 as the replacement for the Sharepoint Designer 2007.
       Microsoft Security patches
       Solidworks 2011-2012
       Microsoft Expression Web 4 This will replace the Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007
       XPROPS 2.0

      Here is the Windows planned release forecast:

                       Application                     AppID            Sysremove            Scheduled Release
       EES License Update                                                                           Before 9/1/2011
       SPSS v. 19                                                                                          09/05/11
       GeoMagic 12                               gstudio12        gstudio11                                09/16/11
       Hyperworks 9.1/11.0                       hyperworks91     hyperworks9                              09/16/11
       Algor                                                                                               09/16/11
       MathCad 15                                mcad15           mcad14                                   09/16/11
       Visual Modflow Pro                                                                                  09/16/11
       VirtualBox 4.0.8                          vbox408                                                   10/14/11
       VirtualBox Guest Additions                                                                          10/14/11
       VirtualBox Extensions                                                                               10/14/11
       Firefox 5.0.1                             firefox501       firefox3615                              10/14/11
       Thunderbird 5.0                           tbird50          tbird20                                  10/14/11
       Office plug-in for Moodle                                                                           10/14/11
       Google Cloud Connect                                                                                10/14/11
       Emergency Notifications RSS Feed                                                                    10/14/11
       Xprops                                                                                                    ???

           Highway capacity (HCS Plus) –Working with vendor to get better way to manage deployment. They have offered a solution I have proposed
            this Civil to get them to buy in to this (added expense of $1000).
            I am working with for Jeff Raquet to get info on ProE and Solidworks products that provide Data Management when teams are working on
             projects (DMS) . Have also started a conversation with Steve Patterson. He is suggesting using Alfresco. Working with Solidworks re-seller
             vendor (Trimech) and Steve Patterson to get a proposal in place for DMS
            Cadence license renewal started


Migration to Windows 7
         Efforts continue with our Windows 7/Mosaic II strategy. We are making good progress. A Google doc with a draft blue print has been
            started. Building of Windows 7 SP1 ( 64 bit ) is working. Next is to automate the install of AFS and the authentication (we have it working
            manually) . The update process to install Microsoft patches to the OS and to install products is also under review. Under review is dealing
            with Mosaic Anywhere access, identifying the list of product installs and how to deal with aps that still need to be on XP.
         Crystal is being brought up to speed on the project with Rodney mentoring her and Nathan working on scripts.
         The current projections is to have a limited deployment of windows 7 in Smith in summer 2012 with full deployment by summer of 2013.
         4 systems have been set up for support of Windows 7 - to handle Windows AD servers and a Build server
         Plan to set up a Windows 7 test lab in Smith 102a with desk top systems ranging from Optiplex 745—980 and iMac units.

Hardware/servers/desktops:
    We received from HP the HP 6000 AIO. We have tested this with Windows XP . HP sent us a 9300 model AIO but it is not the one we
      configured. HP is sent us another one that matches our specs. It came in on July 28. In the meantime, Nathan benchmarked the HP9300,
      HP6000, iMac and Dell Optiplex 980 with Windows XP installed. We have a Linux build for the 9300. We bench marked this unit with Linux.
        Keep in mind that all these systems claim no support for Windows XP, just Windows Vista and Windows 7. The HP 9300 benchmarks have been
      compiled and they are great. We will finish up the Linux build on it and roll it out to Smith 102c on Wed Aug 17 for Tony Brizendine to look it
      over.

Other Initiatives:
PCS:
      Registration for the fall 2011 CSW has 156 students registered so far. Mosaic accounts are now getting activated for all new students.
      Reviewed FTP document from PCS and gave feedback to Bryron Ho
      Reviewed the Remote Access document from PCS and gave feedback to Bryron Ho
      Assessment of LCD panels from a Thomas Koch contact. Not clear how we would use these.
      Working with Sean and ITS to let us upload users to have access to MSDN AA
      We received the HP Touchpad for evaluation. Uses WebOS. This is competitor to the iPad and Android based tablets. Documentation has been
         compiled and is posted to the PCS web site. Asking HP for an additional 30 day loan extension.
      Discussions with HP on laptops offering – allowing customers to customize the offering and to also offer a high end engineering workstation.
      Sean is working with ECE (Jim Conrad and Eddie Hill) to refresh the image of 23 systems in their lab. Phase I completed. Sean to complete phase
         II in August.
       Andrew Poindexter demo’ed the HP WebJetAdmin software to monitor our printers and plotters. In use in the Mosaic Help desk from a laptop.
        Needs installed on Mosaic Windows in the Help Desk.
       Working with HP on how we can have PCS be a central warranty center for UNCC purchased HP laptops. Met with Kevin Oakley and his
        manager, Bryan Martin from HP. Action items to follow up were identified.
       We received 4 HP laptops as temp loaners to display. These are the ones we are recommending to our students. The 3 we are getting as a donation
        will be coming after they are built. We got 2 and expect the last one before end of August 2011. Returned 2 laptops to HP. Final laptop from HP
        is in and we shipped back all the demo units they loaned us. The 3 laptops are being donated to us. Ben Mohler has been contacted
       Support for the Levine Scholars Program for fall 2011 is in place. We have a combination of Dell and Macbook (about 17) laptops that have been
         configured and set up. 50 students are in this program at this point. Pickup of the laptops will begin in mid-August 2011.

Facilities:
     Working with ITS to make sure the EPIC wireless and wired networking plans are nailed down. A list of action items were defined with due dates
         by end of June. Working with John Saccomanno. Received the network topology for EPIC from John Saccomanno of ITS. Identified what
         rooms/areas will need to be beefed up with Access Points for sufficient Wi-Fi strength.
     A meeting was held with Dan, Terry Rhodes and EPIC project manager for planning of the EPIC layout of Terry’s office and storage room. A draft
         document itemizing the strategy for the server room deployment in EPIC is being compiled.
     Wi-Fi for Smith Mosaic labs was done by Sean to make sure we have good coverage for the upcoming CSW.
     Degradation of the Wi-Fi strength in Smith and Duke has been confirmed by ITS. There is a software fix to the WAP that was applied and now
         we are doing an assessment of the impact. We are still working with ITS about the Smith and Duke Wi-Fi audit we did after the software update.
         The audit is still showing weak signal areas.
     We went with Dan Rowe, Colby Hietbrink, Sean, Terry R, Eric R, Dave Young on a walk thru the EPIC building to review and address computing
         needs. A summary of the tour was compiled. We reviewed the lab locations and computer seats in each floor:
         1.     No computer labs or classroom with computer on the ground floor.
                              st
         2.     Room 1140 1 floor 44 seat teaching classroom with computers;
                               st
         3.     Room 1223 1 floor 12 seat work space with computers.
                               nd
         4.     Room 2218 2 floor 48 seat computer lab – no teaching lab
                              rd
         5.     room 3236 3 floor 42 seat computer lab – no teaching lab.
     Worked with Colby Hietbrink (student hired by Dean to look after COE interests in the EPIC building). We have some more work to do to address
         LCD displays interface mechanism, location of power and networking; location of card access system.
     Armando is working with Colby on the various issues with the EPIC labs. A draft document itemizing the strategy for the lab deployment in EPIC
         is being compiled.
     Smith 253 electrical panel work is under discussion with facilities and ITS. We reviewed electrical panel location in Smith 253 server room. A plan
         has been put together by John Blas and Terry Rhodes.
     The Dlink web cams we have been using are end of life. We are assessing replacement web cams from Dlink. Met with Armando and Sean and
         the Dlink web cam rep to see what we will use going forward for the web cam. Sean compiled a list of action items for follow up.
Admin:
        Attended Linux meeting
        Attended Staff meeting
        Help Desk Support meeting to review projects, initiatives and start of new academic year.
        Working with Armando to announce all the new things in Mosaic and PCS for the faculty/staff; for the students.
        Working with Armando to orchestrate the lab openings for the fall semester.
        Met with Armando and Will in separate meeting to discuss improving the Help Desk operation, coaching the TA staff.
        Reviewed Mosaic TA Competency Assessment from Armando for Isaac. Another review will be done with the same TA staff in 30 days to see if
         they have improved on their weak areas.
        Reviewed PCS TA Competency Assessment from Sean (For Andrew Poindexter, Isaac). Another review will be done with the same TA staff in
         30 days to see if they have improved on their weak areas.
        Working with HR to try to get my arms around the new web based HRMS – not going well so far.
        Reviewing candidates for the CTO position. Attended the CTO search committee meeting to determine who we want to phone screen.
        Will be attending the HP Higher Education Conference in Houston, TX Sept 19-21.
        Worked with Rachel Louden of ITS on generic accounts in Mosaic
        The Lenel door access system software is being switched. Raised concerns about impact. Armando is monitoring this project as it may have an
         impact on our abilities to handle end user issues. Armando received a quick overview of the new software.
        The restricted data policy is now official and I will be scheduled for a training session so I understand what my role is for the college.
        Working with Classroom Support (Lee Perkins) to see if we can make the podium based Mosaic workstation lock out users from changing the
         audio controls.
        Working with Classroom support on possible new version (4.0) of PanOpto software.
        Following up on AIM Action Items:
              a.    Provide a Linux Skills Workshop to faculty in the college for 45 minutes (will schedule for June, July, Aug, Sep)
              b.    Look at what it would take to have Pay for Print in the College to replace our current printing model. Working with Rick Torres from
                  Auxiliary Services on Pay for print testing. Reviewed with other campus departments (CCI, CoEd, CoAS). Mixed results from other
                  departments. Pay for Print is stalled. Will present proposal at CAC in June 2011.
              c.    Invite to CAC Jeff Rabon from Computer Science to discuss experience with support and service offering from ITS
              d.    Extend the replacement period for desktop systems in labs, in offices to 4 years instead of 3 years.
              e.    Offer 2 models of desktops: Administrative system (lower cost by $200 from using standard graphics); Engineering system (current
                  high end model).
              f.    Meet with residents of Smith, Duke and review how high a priority is pervasive wireless access.
              g.    Review with project manager for EPIC the plans that were proposed with Tom Lamb for pervasive wireless access. working with ITS -
                  done
        Windows application called Mosaic Health Check has been defined that will be available to all Mosaic users on their Linux and Windows desktop.
         Shane has written the software. Looking for an August release.
        Pinged HP again on the Proposal for our VM efforts; Also pinged Dell to see if they would be interested.
        Pinged HP again about the bridge monitoring that Shenen is doing and their Cents product. I am trying to get HP interested in working with
         Shenen.
        Tested the Bridge Locator Android App for Andrew Stein and reported issues that have been addressed.

    Will be meeting with the following new faculty members:
   ET:
        a.  Dr. Parminder Juneja
        b.  Dr. Wesley Williams          (May 16,2011 - done)
        c.   Dr. Rodney Handy          (in Dec 2011 or Jan 2012)
   ECE:
        d.  Zia Salami               (in August 2011)
        e.  Jianwei Wang
   OSDS
        ·   Robert Latta                (May 18,2011- done)
   EPIC:
           New director Johan Enslin – Mosaic PC; printer; laptop; iPad; Armando is handling this on my behalf

   ME:
             Tony Schmitz - Mosaic PC; printer; laptop; iPad; Armando is handling this on my behalf

   OSDS: new hires (2) in progress

        Mosaic and PCS Welcome Package – Armando has completed this and is producing 20 of these in a binder with mouse pads that I will use for the
         new faculty/staff orientation in August 2011.
        Need to attend departmental faculty meetings once a semester to get more feedback from them on technical strategy.
        Completed the read of the following books which will be integral to the Mosaic and PCS Help Desk as well as to the staff:
             o Delivering Knock Your Socks Odd Service
             o Coaching Knock Your Socks Odd Service



Web:
            Working with Dave Whisler and Mike Hermann on the transition of the Student organizations to using WordPress.
           Efforts by Dave Whsiler, Dave Weber and Mike on the Mobile Joomla feature to let any mobile device view our web sites in an easy to read
            format.
           Audit reports from the WAC for the College of Engineering webs sites is just about completed. The list below shows what has been audited
            and that we have addressed all the issues that we received.

            The following sites have been reviewed by the Software Solution Lab (SSL):
                cpm.uncc.edu
                eao.uncc.edu
                epic.uncc.edu
                ines.uncc.edu
                motorsports.uncc.edu
                seem.uncc.edu/clles
                smart.uncc.edu
                wise.uncc.edu
                coe.uncc.edu/flc
                coe..uncc.edu/maps
                coe.uncc.edu/pcs
                ece.uncc.edu
                coe.uncc.edu
                   coe.uncc.edu/mosaic
                   srdesign.unc.edu
                 ideas.uncc.edu
                 ncrst.uncc.edu
                 seem.uncc.edu
                 coe.uncc.edu/leadership
                coe.uncc.edu/faculty_staff/SPART
                 cee.uncc.edu
                 et.uncc.edu

                 The following still need to be addressed:
                   mees.uncc.edu

   Ticket System enhancements: Released to Mosaic on July 12. Additional enhancements were released on July 24. Working with Jason to deal with
    how we will handle email when moving to Exchange 2010. We found the solution is to upgrade to PHP 5.3 and that is what we are doing on one web
    server.
   Started the transition of the Ticket system to Shane since Andrew will be unavailable after August 15. Shane has been working with Andrew Stein to
    transition the support of this important product to be handled internally in Mosaic.
   Printer/Plotter Management Web App: in production use by Will Gortney and the Mosaic Help Desk.
   Raven has completed the inventory of Mosaic network printers and plotters - tracking this in a Google doc. This will be used in the printer
    management web application.
   Device Data Base will be updated by Armando to accurately reflect Mosaic printers on the network that we support; All other printers will be reviewed
    before removed. Dave Whisler to make changes to Device Data Base to capture more info on printers.
   Researching use of SNMP for probing the Mosaic network printers. For release 2.
   Shane is re-building the existing WO and Shop inventory apps (Access and Oracle based) to be web based an use MySQL.
   Senior Design Admin web app: Testing the Senior Design Admin web app from Mark. Met with Bill Heybruck and Mark Plover to review the Senior
    Design Administration web application. Released to Bill Heybruck July 11. Meeting with Bill and Mark on July 18. Testing has started. New features
    requested and some bugs have been found. Mark has completed these on July 29. Tested the Senior Project Management web app when Bill Heybruck
    reported problems. Logged these in Google Doc. Mark will need to fix these when he comes back.
   COEConnect II: working with Crystal on the web app to manage the application. Plan to release to the college August 15. Working with Andrew
    Poindexter on the web app for COEConnect II. Will transition this effort from Crystal to Shane.
   ACL/Group Manager version 1.0004 from Travis. A comprehensive test plan is in Google doc. Project on hold due to other priorities.
   Coordinating the work efforts of Andrew Stein for Shenen Chen on NCRST and ISRV research project. A Bridgeview Android based application is
    being developed.
   Dave is working with faculty who have a personal web site and assisting them with conversion to Wordpress.
   Dave has been working with many of the Student Organization (web maintainers and faculty sponsor0 to migrate them to using Wordpress. See
    http://coe.uncc.edu/orgs/ for all the sites that are now in play.


 Linux:
 Linux project that are underway:

        o   Printer support for Windows and Linux. Printing off Linux is working from Windows. I am testing it. Only need to have accounting working.
        o   VLDB on Linux – first one done on August 4; the others will be done in August 2011. We found a problem with the Linux VLDB and had to
            get YFS to build us new one with certain configurations we neglected to capture that existed in our Unix VLDB. Rolled it out on and it fixed
            the issue (allowing nested AFS groups). If it runs with no issues we will roll out the other 2 Linux VLDB servers this week.
        o   Kerberos KDC on Linux – for later in August
        o   MySQL on Linux
        o   Move volumes to Duke from Smith so when we have a power outage our web access is not affected
        o   NX USB Drives - sharing of USB devices when using X-Server; likely to be solved via running a VM version of Linux Workstation under
            Windows.
        o   Working on preparation for Linux skill workshop for faculty/staff
         Applications released on Linux:

                                                                               aborted because of
                                                                               encumbered codes. Wait
                    K3B
                                                                               for upgrade of KDE4 or
                                                                               OS
                    gnu octave                                                               8/10/2011     octave342
                    gnuplot                                                                  8/10/2011     gnuplot443



Applications planned for Mosaic Linux:


                                                               Last updated    August 10, 2011
      Application + version                         Status                        AppID          Waiting on whom?       Sponsor   Scheduled Release


Mosaic health checker             waiting on Linux rewrite                                       Shane                            September 15, 2011
vlc
                                  I think it needs the qt4 plugin. trying to                     Daniel
                                  find where to get that                                                                             August 10, 2011
ikiwiki                                                                                          Eugene                              August 10, 2011
                                  talk to Travis. windows VBox scheduled
VirtualBox                                                                                       Windows                             August 20, 2011
                                  for Oct 14



Cadence Custom IC bundle          ready . waiting on digital IC                                  Eugene                 Weldon       August 20, 2011
Cadence Digital IC bundle       Eugene is working on it with Bradlee                         Eugene                  Weldon                    August 20, 2011


                                Working on wrapper - waiting for
Abaqus 6.10 EF1                                                            abaqus610-EF1     Eugene                  Cherukuri                 August 30, 2011
                                volume
Synplicity 2011




     Infrastructure:
        a.    Will need to set up a schedule to backup of all Active Directory, license, probe, and build servers.
        b.    Will need to schedule an upgrade to our AD servers and other Microsoft Server to Windows Server 2008 64 bit
        c.    Need to determine why the afs folder appears mysteriously in directories.
        d.    Need to remove applications and volumes.
        e.    Need to plan for upgrade to MySQL
        f.    Need to plan for upgrade to Joomla

     Applications:
     Sent out the status of tokens and funding for end of June 2011 and also status as of July 20.
     RAM structural Steel a new version from Bentley that needs to be rolled out.
     Moving to support only Cadence Encounter 10.0 on Linux
     Many renewals are in the queue:
                a. Oracle Kerberos support – expires 5/27/11; $1600; Submitted request to vendor for renewal. Working with Robin Weaver to sort this out.
                b. EXA Powerviz – expired 4/31/11 – contacted Mesbah Uddin. He is trying to get this in place at no cost.
                c. CFD ACE (expired 1/15/11) - Mesbah Uddin OK’ed to remove it from the Linux menu. EOL process started.
                d. HCSPlus – annual support expires 6/2/11; working with Univ. of Florida for renewal of support. Lori Brown in Civil has completed the
                    renewal. Proposed to Civil Eng the migration of the Highway Capacity software to be floating licensed based.
                e. Mathtype; Ordered new version since this will be compatible with Office 2010. Installed
                f. Adobe Acrobat Pro; Ordered new version since this will be compatible with Office 2010. Installed
                g. FBMultipier expires 8/26/11
                h. Hyperworks expires 8/31/11 – Howie fang is handling the funding. PO was submitted. We will need to upgrade to new version due to
                    way licensing is being done.
                i. Solaris Maintenance expires 8/31/11
                 j. Cadence, SPC, Pspice expires 8/31/11; received renewal; Tom Weldon will be handling the sponsorship. Worked on the renewal of the
                    Cadence license renewal.
                 k. EES expires 9/1/11 - we have the new license file; Andrew Verner needs to install this.
                 l. SPSS V 19 on Mosaic Virtual XP for Patty
                 m. Updates to AppDB for all new software, upgrades.
                 n. Installed license for new Intel Fortran compiler and C++ for 64 bit Linux – 2 seats. Need to remove older 2 seat 32 bit Fortran
                 o. Linux Red Hat Support renewal


    Other:
             o   We are assessing how we handle remote access for Windows and Linux users. Proposal to modify Device DB and other back end processing.
             o   We will be evaluating a bug tracking system (web based). Bugzilla and JIRA are 2 of the products.

    Customer Support:
          1. Worked with Shenen Chen, Terry, Jason, Chuck Price, Rodney and Jeff Altman in support of an NSF project proposal that Shenen is
              compiling for capture of streaming data from bridge sensors, traffic reports, videos, and annual state data on bridges. The volume of data is in
              the petabyte (1000 terabytes) range. Worked with Chuck Price of URC to compile a document for what it will take to support this project
              (servers, racks, storage). HP dropped in and discussed their proposed quote for the SAN that they are recommending for this project.
          2. Dr. Wang had email problems that Armando resolved
          3. Dr. Soliman is having issues with email being rejected by General Motors. Working to resolve this.
          4. Several users reported problems with their inability to Save a document in Word 2010. We are trying to determine the root cause of this.
          5. Robin Moose continues to have issues with Banner and Eprint from the Opti 980 – had to roll back the 780 to her office
          6. We got a demo of Teamviewer app to let us manage remote access from Mosaic to any pc. This is a great tool and productivity is increased
              from our support team. We have already started to use it in specific cases. Same tool is used by ITS. We will get this in July 2011.
          7. We are monitoring the COEConnect daily job and why there are duplicate entries in a file.
          8. Working with others to address why some USB mass storage devices are not visible on a Mosaic Windows system. We thought it was the
              BIOS but that didn't pan out.
          9. Work continues to address the ProE/Geomagic issues from Jeff Raquet
          10. The June 30 switch of NinerMail to Live@edu has been delayed.
          11. We are awaiting the installation of 3 ADA desks (1 in Smith 260, 2 in CARC 109 )
          12. Working with CFAC and department chairs to solicit feedback on how CTL can be more helpful, integral to the college academic mission.
          13. Other customer issues were addressed.


Help Desk Support Management:
    Discussions about not replacing the plotter in Smith 249 but moving the one from Smith 260 to 249. We will let it stay until our supplies run down and
       will move the one from 260 to 249 on Aug 15,2011
       Smith 249 (office for Armando, systems where the laptop work areas is locate, laptop work area outside of Smith 249) and 3rd floor renovation is
        planned.


MISCL:
    Need to test Cell Server DB outage and impact on Windows client (Terry and Rodney). Need most current version of AFS client [Need the most current
      version of AFS client on Windows]
    Large file copy in AFS needs tested (Rodney) [Need the most current version of AFS client on Windows on our AFS servers]
    Upgrade to latest OpenAFS client 1.5.7xxx.[ In Process]
    Rollout fix for OpenAFS client performance issue. [On Hold]
    Need to figure out why AFS folders magically show up on our system.
    AFS testing with Outlook and OST files - installed latest client build [Need new client and testing]
    Rodney is scheduled to work with ITS to make sure our Mosaic component for logging into Netware is covered. An email conversation with ITS has
      started. This project is delayed due to resources issues at ITS.
    Lab views charts on our web - need to see if we show the LWS and MWS usage
    Looking into adding more power strips in labs (where feasible) so students can take out their laptops and work right on the table where the workstation
      is located.
    Work on the Business Continuity Plan document continues but slowly.
    probe of cx-xxx needs support (Rodney, Dave)
    Digital Signage - add labmap and virtual tour to the slide show (Jack);
    Dept of Insurance Equipment coverage needs to be addressed on our vehicles. (Terry, Armando)
    Need to get added feature to Nagios – who to call for resolving problems
    Handling of special rooms in Device DB (Help Desk, Lecture Capture)
    Web Analytics

Linux Compute server usage (LXS-ME1):
Linux X-Server usage LXS-SM1; LXS-SM2; LXS-SM3; LXS-SM4; LXS-ME2; LXS-ME3 (without the Compute Server):
COEConnect usage statistics (combines COEConnect and COEConnect II):
Customer Support data ticket statistics:
Personal Computer Support Work Orders Statistics:
Jason Edgecombe:
Comp time: 6 hours

Vacation: Aug. 17, 2011

Done:
           Answered a user’s question about /tmp space.
           Restored the ASCE web volume from the BACKUP folder for Dave
           Installed git for Shane on his replaced workstation
           Reviewed the progress of telehealth & reassigned it to me.
           Discussed HIPAA issues for telehealth with Matthew Lang and Dr. Hargrove.
           Worked with YFS to get a fix for the VLDB server to address the lack of nested groups support. Tested the installation procedure and deployed it.


Projects:

Migrating our infrastructure from Solaris to Linux:
    File Servers:
             1. All AFS volumes migrated.
             2. Update File servers to RHEL 5.7 with latest patches
    Web Server migration off Solaris: (Solaris server is off. Monitoring and fixing Linux issues)
             1. End goal: 2 Linux web servers, load balanced; 2 Linux test servers.
             2. Update Web servers to RHEL5.7 with latest patches.
             3. Monitoring the web servers, review logs for any odd errors that can be indicative of an issue – ongoing
             4. Investigate load spikes that might be related to livehelp. Livehelp causes a high CPU load because of mod_security. I have to isolate the rule
                  or rules that cause the high load.
             5. Investigate how to use the PHP APC module without segfaults.
    Printing migrated off Unix:
             1. Plan to have this done by end of summer.
             2. (Eugene) Set up a Linux print server test by August 10
    Back End file servers support (VLDB, Kerberos) migrated off Unix:
             1. Plan to have this done in the summer.
    Oracle servers migrated off Unix:
             1. Plan to have this done in Spring 2012
          MySQL Serves migrated off Unix
               1. Plan to have this done in Fall of 2011 (before Christmas)
          Provide training and documentation for the college on Linux. – ongoing
          Bradlee: set up and document the telehealth servers for Dr. Hargrove
          PHP5.3 waiting on fixes for apps. Deployed on test machines.

Waiting:


Plans for the coming week:
     Finish telehealth & telehealth-test for Dr. Hargrove
     Create a Linux Kerberos server build
     Train Eugene

Plans for August:
     Deploy the VLDB servers to Linux ( 95% likely before Aug 19 )
     Create a Kerberos server build on Linux (75% likely before August 30)
     Set up a test print server without accounting (Eugene)

Plans for September:
     Deploy Linux Kerberos servers
     Upgrade sqlplus (oracle driver) on Linux (Eugene)
     Port solaris printer accounting to Linux (Eugene)
     Prepare for upgrade of servers to RHEL 5.7
     Create a mysql server build on Linux

Low priority:
    Look into bigfix alternatives (puppet?)




Dave Whisler:

Mosaic
         Resolved Mosaic user account issues, disk quota, etc.
         Reviewed the results from the bad acl web-scanner script
         Reviewed the results from the web-scanner file change script
          Attended Mosaic staff meeting
          Granted David Weber Joomla access to Joomla sites so he could make updates.
          Loaded a bunch of new photos into the COE site for Mike H.
          Fixed an article for Gina in ECE website
          Added all Levine Scholars into the Mosaic user DB as special case accounts and re-ran the daily process to create their accounts.

Student Orgs
         Added a menu link to our Student org guidelines to this site.
         ITE - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. Sent out email to review, so I can shutdown old site.
         NSPE - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. Sent out email to review, so I can shutdown old site.
         NSPE - shutdown old site, deleted old content, put redirector in place.
         TAUBETAPI - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. Sent out email to review, so I can shutdown old site.
         TAUBETAPI - shutdown old site, deleted old content, put redirector in place.
         Met with student in robotics club. Created his WP account on site, gave overview of WordPress.
         Robotics - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. shutdown old site, deleted old content, put redirector in place.
         ASEM - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. shutdown old site, deleted old content, put redirector in place.
        NAYGN - migrated all content from old site to new WP site. shutdown old site, deleted old content, put redirector in place.
         Sent out email to Dr. Soliman requesting info about use of saesb and fsaesb Mosaic user accounts.
         Will create all remaining COE student org’s on this new WordPress network
         Will continue migrating content from the old student org sites to the WP network.

WordPress
        Migrated David Binkley’s personal site to WordPress (COEFS)
       Waiting for David B. to review his new site, then he will be able to delete content from his old site.
       Migrated Srvinas P’s personal site to WordPress (COEFS)
       Waiting for Srvinas to review his new site, then he will be able to delete content from his old site.
       Migrated coe.uncc.edu/AP020 site over to Srvinas P’s new WordPress site on COEFS. Zipped up AP020 and deleted the site.
       Created a WP site for Shen-en Chen.
        Looking at web-form plugins for WordPress
        Looking at the new 2011 Theme in Wordpress – working with David Weber to get it customized for UNCC look-n-feel
        Looking at best way to wrap external webpages (html, php, etc..) to appear in a WordPress site

Joomla
          Installed Mobile Joomla on Leadership Academy website. Configured it. Experimenting.
         Getting David Weber to tweak the template for it so it has UNCC look-n-feel
         Working with David Weber on Mobile Joomla.

ET
          Need Tony to make a decision about NCJETS – leave as is or convert it over to Joomla?
          NZEBOT – site was created back in May 2011. Content in the site, but not yet displaying to public. Louremy says she is waiting on Tony B.
          We need ET to either start populating the site with content or we will need to take it down until they are ready.

Joomla
          Research to mobilize all of our Joomla-based websites
          Found a proven Joomla extension that handles the majority of mobile devices automatically
          Will be testing it with various mobile devices.
         Need to look at new features/benefits of Joomla version 1.7 and researching the migration path to it
         Need to check all of our Joomla extensions to see which ones are already compliant with Joomla 1.7

MySQL
          Need to look at the new features/benefits of MySQL version 5.5 and researching the migration path to it

Terry Rhodes:
•       mws858 installed local printer after machine was rebuilt by Travis
•       mws858 dual monitors showing different resolution. Had to download
         and install the latest ATI video driver to resolve the issue
•       mws125 is Smith 303 still awaiting network switch replacement.
         Installed temporary network cable so that podium could get the monthly
         updates on the weekend
•       Replaced defective motherboard in mws365 in Duke 370
•       Install computer upgrade in Smith 325 podium
•       Installed special podium software on Smith 325 podium
•       Investigated Smith 103 podium down. Room is still being used for
         storage and we are unable to get to the podium
•       mws550 in Duke 259 had video issues. Problem was isolated to KVM switch
         inside the podium. Problem was referred to CSS which replaced the KVM switch
•       mws541 in Smith 105 show gray screen. Repaired registry entries
•       Completed installation of 8 Mosaic computer system into CARC 163 for senior design II lab
•       Configured network printer for CARC 163 and gave info to Rodney to do the XP printer installation
•       Moved Mosaic PC from Smith 274 to Smith 245 for Oksana Kyper
•       Moved local printer from Smith 274 to Smith 245 for Oksana Kyper
•        mws915 in Smith 225 iMac had defective hard drive
•        mws915 in Smith 225 reinstalled Mosaic XP on machine and reinstalled into Lab
•        Installed 2nd display in Smith 212 for Cynthia Gregory, temp BSS for Bill Heybruck
•        Met with Eugene to review printing quota scripts and processes under Solaris
•        Started working on cleaning up equipment from summer to be sent to surplus
•        Replaced Mosaic PC in CARC 235 for Shane Wighton
•        Participated in meeting and discussion of possible Petabyte Storage Project for
         the College of Engineering
•        Removed 3 Mosaic PC's from Smith 260 and CARC 109 Labs to allow for the installation
         of ADA tables
•        Building volumes and mounts in AFS as requested
•        Replicated volumes as requested by Mosaic Staff
•        Working to perform normal job duties
•        Performed weekly AFS backups to tape
•        Working to reorganize storage rooms

Vacation: Sept 6 - 9
         Oct 10 - 14
         Oct 25 & 31
         Nov 21 - 23
         Dec 19 - 23


Rodney Dyer:
week ending 8/14/11:

* Petabyte project meeting with Dr. Chen.

* An extra bug that Nathan found in the 64 bit Mosaic tool "nlftee.exe"
  was fixed.

* More work with Nathan on Windows 7. AFS problem debugging and more
  discussions about the new architecture.

* Worked on getting Crystal some VMs to use for Win7 application
  installs. This required work with Nathan and Jason to reconfigure
  the Plutonium.
* Help for Chrystal to try and get the iMac XP bootcamp bluetooth
  drivers to work.

* Download, package, and test Microsoft XP and Office security patches.
 Training with Chrystal on how this is done so that she can cover for
  me if necessary.

* Modifications for changes in printer configs during the update.

* Prep, test, and schedule the Mosaic XP Maintenance update for Aug.
  Some training overview with Crystal and Andrew.

* Helped diagnose a problem with AFS caused by the new VLDB server.

* Helped Travis look into a problem with Hyperworks.

* Looked at a printer testing issue for Eugene.

* Tried to diagnose a Microsoft Word "file save" issue with Armando.

* Discussions about storage of Mosaic passwords. Possible program
  from Jason called "KeePass" password safe. No clear decisions, need
  to test idea.

* Status report, and Tuesday staff meeting.


Armando Castaneda:
    Close Mosaic tickets
    Meet with PCS to discuss workload/issues
    Reviewed Mason Nater’s Competency evaluation
    Reviewed Isaac Irvin’s Competency evaluation
    Currently working on the design of EPIC room 1140
    Printed 3 copies of the “Welcome to COE …” for Jack
   Removed HP Software update form Bruce Gehrig’s machine
   Updated MOTD
   Responded to Mr. Robert Fulk’s question regarding the purchase of a laptop for his son this fall
   Opened work request # 2012007533 to have bulbs replaced in Cameron 113
   Followed up with facilities concerning the pressure cleaning of the area between prospector and the engineering building (work request #
    2012003811)
   Sent TA’s an email reminding them to check the MLC emails first to prevent duplicate questions to the user
   Sent Lee Ann spread sheet containing TA’s that are returning for work in the fall
   Reviewed phone data for labs provided by Debbie Rice and returned with a few questions
   Followed up with Aaron Forsyth concerning the replacement of the ADA tables in Smith 260 and Cameron 109
   Staff meeting
   Started writing a draft for our fall students about updates and upgrades during the summer
   Installed color printer for Bill Heybruck
   Started writing a draft for our fall faculty/staff about updates and upgrades during the summer
   Reviewed and closed open ITS tickets
   Met with D-Link representative Joe Trammell, Jack and Sean to discuss new camera and software options
   Updated Linux MOTD
   Sent email to Christine Kicinski, Jay Dominick and Jack concerning the increase in door access tickets we have prior to the start of the semester. I am
    asking how to better understand the errors that the new software shows when a user is denied access to a room.
   Met with Tony Schmitz to go over the Mosaic computing environment
   Assisted Shen-Guo Wang with his Outlook
   Sent email to all users identified by Jason as having questionable security on their AFS folders
   Bi-weekly TA project meeting
   Printed weekly class schedule for Mosaic labs
   Printed weekly phone list for Helpdesk
   Reserved Smith 225 for Karina Franco
   Resolved Gary Wilson’s scanner and laptop issue
   Inspected Duke labs
   Met with dnaFusion (door access software) techs to discuss recent issues. Work is being done on the database to stabilize it
       Drafted MOTD for fall semester
       Submitted work request for stain in Cameron 113 (2012008037)


Sean Desgraves:

Weekly report for the week of: 8/8/11
    Went to Mosaic Staff Meeting
    Went to Mosaic and PCS Project Meeting
    Monitoring and working on Mosaic and PCS tickets and Work Orders
    Monitoring cameras, Live Help and Nagios
    Processing print quota and color printing requests as they come in
    Made some additional updates to the Full PCS Manual – printed and delivered it to Jack for review
    Training for Bryron for duties in PCS continues
    Coordinated with Isaac to complete a wireless survey of Duke
    Met with D-Link sales associate (Joe Trammel) and received a demo unit of the DCS-5605 on Wednesday – Jack and Armando attended
    Sent request to Terry to have the new demo camera from D-Link campus registered for Smith 225
    Installed and set the new demo camera (DCS-5605 – located in Smith 225) on all the recording workstations to record with the new camera
    Completed review of Andrew’s PCS Competency Assessment – provided returned comments
    Worked on the Competency Assessments for Isaac and Austin over the weekend
    Delivered the final HP to Receiving and Stores for pickup by UPS
    Made a request last week to Mike Carr for Jack and Armando to be able update the MSDNAA listing – still waiting for response
    Worked with Bryron on producing a document for Wolfram’s new Computable Document Format (CDF)
    Completed the final phase of the imaging process for ECE on Aug 8 th and 9th; imaged 9 PCs in Woodward 203 – sent a follow up of the completed
        project to Ian Ferguson, Jim Conrad and Eddie Hill
    Provided Austin with the PCS Competency Assessment – Austin completed this as submitted it for review; completed my review of it on the weekend
    Followed up with Crystal to make sure she was able to access the MSDNAA website – she informed me that she was successful in accessing the service
    Worked with Isaac on checking and updating the PCS website – the list of issues were sent to Jack for adjustments; found one document that needed to
        be updated – did this and uploaded the updated document to the PCS website (AutoCAD 2011 for Mac)
    Worked with Dave to add the Levine Scholars to the Accounts DB
    Responded to a camera setup issue for the new Motor Sports building
    Provided Armando with PCS accomplishments for this summer
       Working with Tammy Disabatino for a laptop used for setting electronic locks in Cameron – PCS Work Order was created; working with Dan to get the
        LockLink software
       Assisted Joanna Henderson (incoming student) with information about setting up a MacBook Pro with Windows 7 using BootCamp
       Provide Meg Harkins with instructions for downloading Microsoft Office 2010 through the Home Use Program
       Assisted Jeff Raquet with setting up the HP Touchpad we loaned to him with the new email settings for Exchange 2010
       Provided Ben Mohler with the list of HP laptops donated to the PCS office via email
       Assisted Luna with setting her iPhone with the new email settings for Exchange 2010
       PCS created Work Orders for each of the Levine laptops in preparation for them to be picked up next week
       Followed up with Barry Sherlock for a laptop question
       Worked with PCS to build a new PCS digital display PC
       Reviewed all slides and proposed changes that were reviewed and okayed by Jack; the changes were completed by PCS and applied to the new digital
        display PC


Andrew Verner:

-Finished packaging Microsoft Expression 4 for August 12 update.
-Started work on packaging Firefox 5 and Thunderbird 5.
-Investigated and resolved issue with COE Connect daily update script not updating daily.
-Picked back up UNCC Alert system, attempting to get the programs to work with PIER RSS feeds.


Travis Edwards

       Daily meetings with Andrew Verner to make sure we stay on schedule.
       Investigation of Ticket #9168. Had the TA’s check her Firefox settings. After setting them back to default, ticket was resolved.
       Wrote install script for the Service Pack 2 of Expression Web 4.
       Repackaging of Hyperworks 9.1. I spoke with customer support several times, and they claimed the issue was a result of a Microsoft patch was
        installed. After Rodney’s suggestion, I tested their theory out by rebuilding a box without the patch and question, and still received this error. After
        communicating this with customer support, they escalated it to the development team, but have not heard a response from them. I am investigating
        installing Hyperworks 11 to see if we have the same issue.
       Helped Armando with the applications we have installed and removed over the summer on Mosaic XP.
       Modified Mosaic XP Software Projection list.
       Worked with Rodney to modify update script to allow us to reinstall Xprops.
       Tested August’s update on VM’s and test physical machines.
       Spoke with XProps customer support and Xprops 2.0 compatibility with MathCAD 15 and Excel 2010. Xprops 2.0 is compatible with MathCAD 15, they
        just have not updated their website. It is also compatible with Excel 2010, but you have to do some extra work to make it visible. I wrote a plug-in
        script to do this on log-in for the users.
       Prepped the Mosaic XP update Friday morning with Rodney, Andrew, and Crystal. Andrew and Crystal were brought in to see how the update process
        operates.
       Performed the Mosaic XP update Friday afternoon – Saturday morning.
       Fixed machines that had errors during the update Saturday morning.


Eugene Labko

# Completed tasks

 * Benchmarked HP TS9300.
 * Worked on installation of Cadence components. Bradlee helped with Cadence installation.

# Projects
## Migrating print servers from Solaris to Linux

 * Build for CUPS server is ready. CUPS client is not completed yet.
 * Worked on print quota scripts. These scripts retrieve and update print quota information in userdb.

# Upcoming week
## Applications

 * Cadence components testing.
 * Oracle SQL Plus client upgrade.

## Projects

 * Complete CUPS client build.


Crystal Barton:
Weekly Report - August 7-13, 2011


I worked on better understanding what needs to be done with Windows 7. We setup a VM from me to use in order to start working on app installs. This took
more time than anticipated as we needed to search through all the VMs in order to determine which VM I could use. Then we ran into several issues getting
Windows 7 installed. I continued going through the old update script so that I may better understand what happens in the update and, in the future, help rewrite
the script in PowerShell. I also spent time with Rodney learning how to do Windows XP patching. Along with Andrew, Travis, and Rodney, we all tested this
month’s updates.



Nathan Hatley:
     Jeff Altman has requested that I post my documentation of getting Windows 7 roaming user profiles and folder redirection working with AFS on the
        OpenAFS wiki, as well as in the OpenAFS mailing list. This is fairly important as currently no other universities are known to be using OpenAFS with
        Windows 7 roaming profiles. [current status: documentation is in text files and needs to be elaborated on]
     Made some more modifications to the postsetup script that runs before the update starts.
     The OpenAFS SMB client deadlocks very frequently on Windows 7; we are switching back to IFS due to this issue. It looks like Jeff fixed several issues
        with IFS since the last time I attempted to use it.
            o Completed the modifications to the build for the IFS switch
            o Working on modifying the usrlogon script for use with IFS
     Assisted Rodney with the configuration of the Windows 7 VMs on vms-sm8
     Corrected an issue with the OpenAFS logon provider configuration
     Modified Rodney’s build server replication scripts for use on the new build server.
     Implemented a temporary method for automatic installation of the VMware vmtools for the ESXi VMs. Will be modified later once Dave’s changes to
        DevDB are complete.
     Looked into an issue with extremely low thoroughput on vms-sm8 to the iSCSI chassis (12MB/s max). Possible reconfiguration may help the issue.


Mark Plover:

Out on leave

Bradlee Speice

There's not particularly much to report as I've been out sick for the past week, but:
Virtual Workstation: It's looking like we might need to have a physical user logged in to install the VMware tools. Slightly frustrating, and I'm investigating ways
to see if I can do an auto-login, but it's not looking good. That being said, this is the last issue before we attempt to roll this out. So if it's decided that we'll just
have someone log in to install the tools, then I can focus on getting this to the Windows guys and deployed on Windows.
VMware VMA / ESXi: I'm going to begin learning how the VMA works, and how to administer all of the VMware ESXi applications via command line, scripts,
etc. This will allow us to use widescale automation. I'm not sure what specifically will be happening with the automation yet, but being able to use the technology
is the first step.
Nagios: Working on installing and testing Nagios as a 64-bit application, as opposed to 32-bit. Currently I'm having a few issues with the configurations not
working correctly, but I should have these resolved soon, and be able to use a spare computer to test and make sure that Nagios is rock-solid stable before we
deploy.

Looking forward to the last week of work before school!


Andrew Stein
Bridge Locator (current version 1.3) download from http://bit.ly/unccncrst

What I fixed / added

    1.   At Dr. Chen's request, the application has a "Bridges near you" feature which reads the GPS (or 3g network) location of the users and locates bridges
         near the user within a defined radius (1mi, 2mi, etc)
    2.   Bridge list greatly improved - columns are Bridge ID, Driving Distance / Time away, Favorited, and Has Inspection Data.
    3.   When anything is loading, you'll get a progress dialog - for example when the map of the bridge is loading. I did the best job I could and it can't get
         better than it is right now.
    4.   Added "Favorites" function. The favorites list is accessed by clicking the "Menu" button on your Android device (see http://cache6.groovypost.com/wp-
         content/uploads/2010/09/image_417.png to understand where this button is). Bridges are added to the list by searching for bridges near you and clicking
         the appropriate cell under the "Favorited" column in the bridge list.
    5.   Clicking on "Navigate with Google Maps" in the Directions tab will generate a dialog box prompting the user to enable their GPS if the GPS is not
         enabled or there is no GPS on the device.
    6.   Bridge list is sorted by shortest to longest distance away now

Bridge Locator misc.

    1.   I stumbled across another framework for mobile web development. Called WebMynd. http://www.webmynd.com/ "Get an HTML5 Mobile app but with
         native functionality. This app will work seamlessly across iPhone, iPad and Android devices". I am going to be having a phone conference with
         someone from the company on Wednesday to evaluate whether this would work for our needs (instead of or in addition to Basic4Android). The
         advantages as I see them are: this would be cross-platform across multiple mobile devices [iOS Android], we'd still have most of the same functionality
         in terms of interfacing with the device (GPS location, notifications etc), and the coding language is HTML5 - web code which I am more familiar with.
         The College of Engineering might want to evaluate this product. More on this on Wednesday.


Bridge Locator future items

    1.   "Upload photo of bridge to gallery" - allow people to take pictures of a bridge they are near, upload them to the irsv server. There could be a new tab in
         the app called "picture gallery" which would show all the collected pictures for that bridge ID. Need to invent some way to moderate (approve) the
         pictures so people aren't uploading anything bad
    2.   Hotlink to get driving directions from current location to the bridge - using Google Maps
    3.   "Auto update" feature to periodically grab your location and display an updated list of bridges near you
    4.   Settings menu that lets you configure various settings and get to the Favorites function.
    5.   Submit to the Android market


Misc

    1.   Going to Nashville Tennessee from Wednesday to Sunday-ish to help my brother move into his dorm at Vanderbilt University. I'll bright my laptop and
         should be online frequently.
    2.   School starts for me on Wednesday of next week - the 24th. My availability will be more limited at this time. (In addition to working on stuff for my
         other contracting position)



Daniel Colson:

Finished the script to clear old process logs and added it and a corresponding cron entry to fs-sm6.

Finished up and got Gnuplot/Octave released.

Added info to the wiki.

Researched SNMP security. Trying to make SNMPv3 work on the power strip.

Working on PDU control script. Adding requested functions...
Researching VMware CLI commands.

Researched some cfengine error messages.

Working on fixing the wrapper on Abaqus 6.10 EF1, and the qt plugin requirement on VLC.

Temperature monitoring scripts are almost finished. Need to tweak them a bit to match Terry's requests.

Shane Wighton:
Last week I worked on getting familiar with the phpSupport web application by fixing bugs. I fixed bugs 16, 18, 62, 44, 45, 93, 94, 146, 147, 152, 157, 158, 162,
163, 165, 166, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 174.

I also worked on getting the Mosaic Health Inspector ready for production, I re-wrote a large part of the code to remove its windows dependencies. For any non-
rectifiable platform dependent features, the application now determines what platform it is executing on, executing different code depending on the platform.


David Weber:
       The items I worked on this past week included the following:

        Monday (8/8/2011)

        On Monday I fixed the remainder of the first batch of audit items that were forwarded to me. One of the pages, the SEEM website, turned out to have
        been designed. This caused the large number of 404 errors, since the users were trying to access links that no longer existed. This has been rectified and
        passed on. Shane and I also worked on a little Java program that allows for quick image resizing for items in the audit list.

        Tuesday (8/9/2011)

        On Tuesday I fixed 4 more audit items that were not in the original batch. I went through all of the lists to make sure everything had been addressed. I
        passed these on to Mike and Cindy. I also worked on some Joomla items, including the mobile templates.

        Wednesday (8/10/2011)

        On Wednesday, I started on and got most of the Android template finished for the Mobile Joomla sites. Dave upgraded the Mobile Joomla plugin to a
        new version, which actually broke my old iPhone template. I had to recreate it.

        Thursday (8/11/2011)
        On Thursday, I migrated the mobile Joomla templates to the Leadership webpage. Most of the changes transferred nicely. However, I have discovered a
        few bugs with the way lists display in the template. These will be addressed ASAP. I also wrote a guide for making basic mobile template modifications
        to give the UNCC look and feel. I passed this on to Dave for his future reference. Dave also wants me to help him with transferring COE faculty
        webpages to Wordpress, as well as advising faculty that haven’t switched to do so.

        Friday (8/12/2011)

        Friday was a short day, but I started to work on the bugs in the mobile template. They are being stubborn, but it looks like I’m going to be making some
        CSS overhauls to fix the bigger issues. I’ll have these fixed ASAP.

        Further Notes

        This upcoming week, I plan on mainly helping Dave with the WordPress migrations. I look forward to it.



Jack M. Stein
Assistant Dean and Director of Engineering Computing

William States Lee College of Engineering
University of North Carolina at Charlotte

235 Cameron Research Center
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28223
jmstein@uncc.edu
704-687-6625
412-848-6534 (cell)
704-687-2352 (fax)

   Facebook

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:2/13/2013
language:Unknown
pages:34