THE 21 IRREFUTABLE LAWS OF LEADERSHIP
Dr. John C. Maxwell
Edited by: Levi Krein
Associate Professor CIS
University of Mary
The Law of _____
Leadership Develops Daily, Not in a Day
“Like the horizons for breadth and ocean for depth, the understanding of a good leader is
broad and deep.” Proverbs 25:3
What does this proverb mean?
If you are going to be a leader, ________
Are leaders born? ________
We ________the Event and ________the ________
The Event The Process
Encourages ________ Encourages ________
Is a ________issue Is a ________issue
Is ________ Is ________
Champions are always made out of the process.
Why does it take so long to become a leader?
Because leadership is many faceted; to become a
leader you need to acquire many skills.
To become a leader you need to:
1. Learn leadership ________
2. Gain ________ (wisdom)
3. Grow in ________as a leader
4. Develop ________
5. Develop leadership ________
6. Develop a leadership ________
7. ________as a leader
8. Develop a leadership ________
These eight skills will be studied in the 21 Laws of Leadership.
The secret of our success is found in our ________agenda.
How you conduct yourself during your regular daily routine will indicate your leadership
skills. Success in leadership can not be abruptly turned on; it does not happen at a
particular time (event). Learning leadership is a daily process of growth!
Failure, like success is a daily thing. You don’t all of a sudden fail or succeed. You work
on or develop your success attitude.
What can be discovered in your daily agenda? What can be learned by observing
1. Learn your ________ (What is important to you?)
2. Your ________ (What is it that you live for?)
3. Your ________ (How able you are?)
4. ________ (Do people like you?)
5. ________ (About self, God and others?)
6. How ________you are?
7. Your ________qualities (How much emotional stamina do you have; observe our
8. Your level of ________ (Do you influence others?)
9. Your personal ________ (What your dreams & goals are?)
Champions don’t become champions in the ring – they are merely recognized there!
You must decide to become a leader. It will take a long time to become a good leader.
You become a leader one day at a time. Don’t wait for an event; remember it is a
process. Start learning and practicing leadership skills!
Questions to ask myself about becoming a leader:
1. Do I have a ________to grow as a leader?
2. Do I have a leadership growth plan for ________?
3. Am I developing a leadership ________in my organization?
________the act of developing by education and training
4. What are the ________of a leadership culture?
________ are an outward sign; proof of a fact.
On your Week 3 HANDOUTS page I have included an essay about Teddy Roosevelt.
This essay compliments our study of Law 3 – Process. Read the essay after you have
viewed the leadership video and filled in the blanks above.
1. Research and find out why the stuffed animal is called a “Teddy Bear?”
Your response here please
Your project manager seems to be enthusiastic about the leadership video series. He/she
asked you “Tell me the one thing I need to know about Law 3 (process) that will turn me
into a good leader for my project team.”
2. List the most important lessons learned in the Law 3 video. Your first listed item
should be, in your opinion, the most important lesson learned.
Lesson learned 1
Lesson learned 2
Lesson learned 3
You may add to the list
Superbowl football champions don’t become champions when they are given the
Superbowl ring – they are simply recognized at that time!
3. How would this statement apply to a project manager?
Respond here please
4. How does the Teddy Roosevelt essay support Law 3?
Respond here please
Use this document when you participate in the Week 3 Discussion Forum.
E-mail this document to your instructor: SUBJECT: 454 Law 3