ABCs of Maine
1. Choose one (1) topic that pertains to Maine for each letter of the alphabet.
Examples: A is for Augusta
B is for blueberries
C is for Cadillac Mountain
2. Make one (1) page for each letter of the alphabet. Set up each page as follows:
A is for Augusta Title of each page
may be done on
The opposite page No hand drawn pictures,
No more than eight (8)
may display pictures from
Include a paragraph of at Paragraphs on
each topic must
least five sentences about
(Don’t forget to indent!)
3. Assemble all of the pages into a booklet. The paragraphs telling about and explaining
each topic must be written in cursive by hand (you may use pencil, colored pencil, or pen). An
example of how pages may be composed: use construction paper for each page with attached
pictures and file cards containing the written paragraph. Other kinds of lined paper also work
well for displaying written work.
Three ring binders, scrapbooks, or albums may be used. Feel free to be creative. Remember,
paragraphs on each topic must be handwritten.
4. The booklet should consist of:
A. Front cover, decorated with:
a. Title: ABCs of Maine
b. Your name and grade in the lower right-hand corner
c. Pictures, if desired.
B. A Table of Contents page in the following format (you may do this page on
A is for Augusta……….. page 1
B is for blueberries…….. page 2
C. Twenty-seven (27) pages
a. Table of Contents page. This is your first page and is not numbered.
b. One page for each letter of the alphabet numbered 1 - 26.
D. Back Cover
5. Please use a variety of topics. For example, a project which uses only lighthouses for
each letter is not acceptable.
6. Please be attentive to spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. You will
be given a language arts grade for this project.
7. This is an important assignment. It will count as two (2) test grades in Maine Studies in
the fourth quarter.
8. Points will be deducted for inattention to directions.
9. HAVE FUN! YOU WILL LEARN A LOT ABOUT THE GREAT STATE OF MAINE!
Resource magazines are available in the classroom. Booklets created by former students will be
on display in the classroom.
Parent guidance is necessary and appreciated. Please encourage your child to do this project as
independently as possible.
Due Date: Friday, May 14, 2010
Students must submit their projects on or before this due date to receive full credit.
If a student is absent from school on the due date (Friday, May 14, 2010), the
project is still due on this day. Please return these instructions with a parent
signature, confirming that a parent has read them. These instructions will then be
returned to you.
Parent signature: _______________________________________________
C:\School\ABC's of Maine Instructions.doc