US1CP Chapter 4 Sections 3 and 4 quest review sheet
Changes in government that Jefferson wanted to make when he become president
- define laissez-faire
- make government more democratic
- cut the federal budget
- lower taxes
- What were the only sources of revenue (money) for the US?
- Who was Jefferson’s secretary of treasury?
- Alien and Sedition Acts - What did Jefferson do to them?
Jefferson’s conflict with the judicial branch
- Why did Adams appoint the “midnight judges”?
- define impeachment
- Marbury v. Madison (1803)
- John Marshall
- define judicial review
- define precedent
- Did Marbury get his job as a justice of the peace?
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- slave revolt in Caribbean
- Why was the main reason the French were willing to sell it for so cheaply to the US?
- new western boundary for the US?
- Lewis and Clark expedition
- What were their objectives?
- Where did they begin their journey?
- Why was Sacajawea so valuable to them?
- Zebulon Pike and Pike’s Peak
- Why did they fight?
- Why was Burr later charged with treason?
- Why were they fighting?
- define tribute
- define blockade
- Lt. Stephen Decatur
- outcome of war?
American neutrality in Napoleonic Wars threatened
- In what ways were the French and British interfering in US trade with Europe?
- define impressment
- Chesapeake-Leopold Affair
- Problems with the Embargo Act?
- What was the Non-Intercourse Act?
War of 1812
- Who was Chief Tecumseh?
- President James Madison
- What area did the US want to conquer in the war?
- What were privateers?
- Francis Scott Key
- Burning of Washington, D.C.
- Battle of New Orleans
- Andrew Jackson and nickname
- Why was this battle “needless but great”?
- Treaty of Ghent
- What were the terms of the treaty?