Tellico Community Players
March 13, 2012
The meeting was called to order by President Len Willis at 1:30 p.m. at the TCP Playhouse.
Members in attendance were: Ku Adams, Doug Banister, Neil Bennett, Gerry Bensen, Inge Boyce, Nick
Brancik, Karen Couden, Bill Hartman, Carol Lessnau, Val MacDonald, Michaela Martin, Debbie
Mayberry, Helen Nicholson, Pam Russell, Doris Ryan, Judy Schenk, Amy Jo Smith, Ted Taylor, Jim
Thompson, Bob Wiggins, Len Willis and Larry Zinn. Board members absent: Jim Davis, Marie Fertitta,
Secretary’s Report: Neil Bennett made a motion that the minutes from the February 14, 2012
membership meeting be accepted as sent to the membership by Carol via email. Motion was seconded by
Doug Banister. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report (Judy Schenk): Judy forwarded the following information to Carol after the
meeting so it could be included in these minutes:
Beginning Balance: $14,087.88
* This does not include Certificate of Deposit or Building Fund
President’s Report (Len Willis):
Len informed everyone that he received an email from Bill Joachem about the passing of his wife, Henny,
last night. She will be greatly missed by all of us. Discussion was held as to how TCP can express
sympathy to Bill and his family. It was decided to wait until an obituary is published to determine if a
donation should be made to a named organization. Len indicated that a funeral service will be held on
Friday, March 16, at 11:00 a.m. at the Tellico Village Community Church.
Len thanked everyone who participated in Arsenic & Old Lace for the team effort, from setting up to
breaking down, and was glad to see the dedication put forth by everyone.
Play Locations Update-- (1) Loudon High School--Len visited the school and met with the head
custodian, Jerry Trout, regarding availability of June 27-30 (Three One-Act Plays) & October 17-20 (A
Nice Family Gathering) play dates. Jerry confirmed that those dates are available. (2) Grand Vista
Conference Center (GV)—Len met with the administrator and learned that the TRDA now controls
the facility, and it is also available on the above-mentioned dates—however we would not be able to
rehearse until Monday, June 25. Len received a proposal for using the GV; and after talking with Ron
Hammondtree, it appears that, as a non-profit organization, we need only pay for facility expenses used
TCP Minutes 3-13-12 Page 1 of 3
such as electricity, etc. Len has not reviewed the proposal entirely but it looks like we only need to
pay $300 per production. The TRDA wants the facility to be available for community activities in
Loudon and Monroe counties. This leaves us with options as to using either of the two venues. Len
interjected that we averaged 90 people per show for A&OL at the high school, and we averaged 115
per night at GV for other productions. We need to charge $5 more per ticket if we want to include
appetizers. We have used Marty at Kahite in the past and she is willing to work with us again. Ron
with TRDA is actively pursuing obtaining a liquor license. Debbie asked as to whether or not we need
liability insurance, especially if serving wine/beer. Some discussion followed with Larry adding that
non-profit organizations can usually get one-night insurance at a nominal cost. Len said he will ask
Jim Davis to check into insurance requirements.
Directors’ Workshop—Len has talked with Larry about planning a directors’ workshop, which they’re
hoping to hold in mid-April. They would also like to have Joan Dorsey, Debbie, Helen and Doris
involved in conducting the workshop as well. There are many facets of directing that can be covered
such as characterization, blocking, etc., but that would take a great deal of time. Since our next
production is in June, Len would like to have the content simplified and contain overall material that
might be of benefit to the three directors (Pam Russell, Jim Thompson, and Michaela Martin) of the
Three One-Act Plays. Len noted that a director’s position here with TCP is much more involved
because it encompasses many phases of the play, unlike a theater group that may have dedicated box
office personnel, administrative assistance, etc.
Prime Time Players—Debbie reported that it has been a great month for the PTP! During their “tour”
of the following schools: Steekee Elementary, Episcopalian School of Knoxville, Loudon Middle
School, Lenoir City Elementary School, and Eaton Elementary—the 8-member group performed
before approximately 2,000 students. The overall theme of the presentations was “American Heroes.”
There should be an article on PTP in the Village Connection soon. They are starting to work on a
spring show, possibly for adult audiences or high school. Doris added that the group was very well
received by the students. TCP has purchased stools and additional sound equipment, which is
available to the PTP as well.
Business Director’s Report (Jim Davis): Ways & Means Committee—In Jim’s absence, Neil Bennett
reported that the Riverwalk restaurant in Loudon will put “table tents” on their dining tables to advertise
our plays. Riverwalk was also a sponsor for Arsenic & Old Lace. Len noted that we are not really selling
many tickets to the general population of Loudon County. Most of our ticket sales come from groups
within Tellico Village. Discussion was held as to whether or not we should join the Loudon County
Chamber of Commerce in order to have a more visable presence in the community. A motion was made
by Ku Adams, seconded by Helen Nicholson, that we join the Chamber and that Pam Russell represent us
at its meetings. Motion Carried. Pam has also volunteered to contact other Loudon County groups.
Artistic Director’s Report (Helen Nicholson): Helen reported that the selection committee is close to
deciding on the three one-act plays to be performed in June. Helen wondered if June 13-16 could be
considered as a date if venues are not available for adequate rehearsal time. Len will stop by the GV and
see if those dates are open. As reported previously, the three directors will be Pam Russell, Jim
Thompson, and Michaela Martin.
Stage/Set Coordinator Report (Ali Davis): In Ali’s absence, Len mentioned that several people
commented to him on how nice the set looked for A&OL. Bill Hartman reported that everything was
cleaned up and put back in order after the play ended.
Public Relations/Advertising Report (Pam Russell): Pam submitted an income statement for Arsenic
& Old Lace whereby we currently show a profit of $4,132.20 but we still have approximately $600 in
TCP Minutes 3-13-12 Page 2 of 3
expenses to pay. Renee Anderson asked that Len remind everyone, once again, to please submit to her
any updates they may have – i.e., photos, comments, etc., so they can be posted on website and Facebook.
Patrons/Membership Update (Val MacDonald): Val did not have anything new to report.
Regarding the amount of $3,821.26 in a Building Fund at BB&T earmarked for support of a Tellico
Village performance facility—the Lions Club and the Tellico Concert Committee will have their $250
donations returned if desired. Len will be sending them letters.
Debbie noted that she had always sent out survey letters to the membership after a performance asking
for input regarding pluses/minuses of previous play. Len said he will need to do that, but he has to get
an updated email address list.
TCP Shirts: Pam Russell will submit three proposed logos from which we will chose one at the next
membership meeting. Carol will pursue finding a good quality shirt that can be embroidered with
“Tellico Community Players” and the new logo. Members will purchase the shirts on an individual
basis—price not to exceed $40 each.
Nick Brancik asked how we can improve upon a rehearsal venue. Helen suggested we have actual
props to work with at rehearsals instead of using boxes for tables, etc. Doris said she thinks the venue
is adequate. Nick would like to have the entire venue cleaned up, especially the costume area. Len
will contact Sherry Popovich to see if she can go through and organize costumes. Discussion
Nick also asked about the possibility of TCP hosting a charity variety-type show for publicity
purposes. We have a significant amount of money available in our account, which we could use for a
production of this type. Doris suggested we donate one-night’s performance revenues of our 2013
musical to a charity. Discussion followed.
Doug made a motion that we adjourn, and Neil seconded the motion. Meeting adjourned at 2:40 p.m.
Next membership meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 10th..
Respectfully submitted by Carol Lessnau.
TCP Minutes 3-13-12 Page 3 of 3