Alexandria Area YMCA
TITLE: Personal Trainer
SUPERVISOR: Health Enhancement Director
DATE: February 16, 2010
Under the direction of the Heath Enhancement Director, all personal trainers will conduct
personal training sessions to the standards of the certification held as well as the YMCA’s mission
and philosophy. This job description includes, b is not limited to: safely designing and
implementing appropriate individual fitness programs for clients. In addition personal trainers will
educate, stimulate, motivate, and promote adherence to a healthy lifestyle.
Personal trainers must be energetic, dedicated and motivated individuals who enjoy working with
clients one-on-one and in small groups, designing and implementing individual workout plans. All
Personal Trainers must demonstrate and enforce the core values (Caring Honesty, Respect and
Responsibility) to staff, lay leaders, YMCA members, program participants and the general public.
• Current ACSM, ACE, NSCA, AFAA, NASM, NETA (accredited organizations) certification
in personal training.
• Current CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications
• Experience in fitness testing, exercise program design, and teaching appropriate fitness
programs to members of varying ages and fitness levels
• Minimum of 2 years in health and fitness field
• Two-year exercise science education, or related field, or minimum of 1 year experience
• Accumulated continuing education credits to maintain certification(s)
• Full working knowledge of the facility’s safety and emergency procedures.
• Ability to recognize participants who are in distress.
• Demonstrate sound judgment in handling issues with staff and members.
• Administer national YMCA fitness assessments, or its equivalent.
• Interpret assessment results to clients and, based on evaluation and client's goals, design
and implement a fitness program.
• Spend a minimum of 10-20 hours per month engaged in health and wellness instruction
and/or member service.
• Attend staff meetings as directed.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend New Employee Orientation within the first 60 days of employment and attend
additional department meetings as scheduled.
• Follow the Alexandria YMCA standards of Grooming and Dress.
• Know, understand and follow all room guidelines, policies and chain of command of the
• Be responsible for completing and turning in accident/incident reports immediately after
• Notify the Health Enhancement Director, building supervisor or other staff member
whenever a potentially serious problem with equipment or facility.
• Be Responsible for finding own qualified substitute for absence, or cancelling training
session a minimum of 24 hours prior to scheduled appointment.
• Physically able to demonstrate proper exercise form and avoid contraindicated exercises.
• Visually able to observe clients to assure correct training methods, techniques, and
• Able to read exercise and testing equipment accurately, including but not limited to, blood
pressure, heart rate/pulse.
• Complete all required employment records, including time cards, in an honest and timely
• Refrain from using cell phone while working in all capacities, i.e.: texting, talking or
surfing the internet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to
finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is
required to reach with hands or arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk;
climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather
The noise level is the work environment is usually moderate.
I have read the Alexandria YMCA Personal Trainer Job Description and I fully understand and know
what my responsibilities are in order to do my job effectively.
Employee Signature Date
Supervisor Signature Date