MINUTES OF PARENT COUNCIL MEETING. 9th September 2009
Present: M. Fagan, K. Sillars, S. English, C. McIvor, E. Cusick, J. Ziervogel, K.
Dargie, B.Ul-Hassan, M. Montgomery Masters, H. Connelly, J. Dominy. J.Gillon
Apologies: E. Laird, S. McFadyen, J. Cunningham, S. Board, S. Running, H Hepburn, S
Update ref School Open night on 23rd Sept.
Update on PTA courses attended/available
Updates on outstanding actions from previous minutes
Updates from all Sub Committees
Parent question regarding School Dinner.
Agenda Item Action By Date
UPDATE ON SCHOOL OPEN NIGHT
Joan advised on format of evening. Teachers will be in main hall
with Parents free to ask questions around Curriculum, Books being
used ect. Children writing invitations to Parents advising of date. PC
will provide tea room with cakes and use the opportunity to chat with
Parents on PC work.
Volunteers as follows: Kay, Michelle, Shirley, Stephen, Jan, Katie.
Susan and Clare have volunteered to bake for event.
Suggestion made to demonstrate Smart board at the event in advance
of next fundraising sponsor event which will be specifically for funds
towards Smart board.
UPDATE ON COURSES
K. Farrow has sent communication looking for volunteers to attend
meeting regarding set up of a National Parent Forum. 1
representative will attend from each local authority. Should anybody
wish to nominate themselves for consideration, send nomination form
direct to K Farrow.
Action: Jan to send K Farrow email to Parent Council. JG 13/09
Jan advised she had attended Curriculum for Excellence conference
at Hampden on Sat 13th June. Main purpose of event to discuss and
exchange views on learning with other parents and discuss how
parents can help their school take forward the Curriculum for
Excellence. Various speakers and workshops were available.
Workshops attended: Sports Coaching in Schools and Helping your
child with Numeracy. Jan advised potential for PC to put out some
form of communication around hints and tips with Numeracy.
Action: Jan to provide notes to Curriculum team. JG End
OUTSTANDING ACTIONS FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
PARENT TRANSLATORS – Still to be recruited from parent C/F DTBC
Forums. Carry Forward for Comms team
ARTWORK – Ex Parent to be contacted regarding return of framed C/F DTBC
artwork- Carry forward for Comms team
COMMUNICATION REGARDING PC SUCCESS: Has been JG 21/09
given to P1 Parents. Similar document to be sent to remainder of
School. Jan to get out in schoolbags prior to open night.
Kathy Wilkes has sent in details around Mural design this has been
sent out to houses in McCulloch Street as well as Parents. Mural will
be started this weekend weather permitting.
Pip has sent on necessary paperwork to Climate Challenge Fund.
Bike Rack will take 2 days to install, looking to have completed in
October Holiday, it will be sited where bench planters currently are as
best position for access as well as prevailing wind. Big thank you to
Pip and Diane for hard work involved.
Gardens were well cared for over the summer and Glendale bloomed!
Planters thrived. Infant side doors and window sills were scrapped
and repainted. Possibility of doing other doors but need more paint.
Action: Joan to advise if can be funded from School budget. JD Before
When meadow plants die, they will be replaced with Bear story chair meeting
via Kelvin Clydeside Greenspace -Michelle has liased with KCG and
decision made on 3 bears design. Looking to have a school
competition with kids to design favourite story character, winning
designs will be carved in the seat of story chair. Logs and Decking
will need to be varnished at later date.
Michelle liasing with Aine Harrington, GCC Education PR person
who is interested in the whole story of parents and school working on
grounds, gardens and mural. Aiming for published piece when Mural
Need weeding helpers for among trees and then reseeding of
meadow. Joan suggested recruiting parents at open night.
Dates discussed for further weeding and painting. No date
Katie advised potential GCC project involving Heritage and trees,
which may be something Glendale can get involved in. She will
advise further if appropriate.
Filming has finished for homework video, still to be scripted and
subtitles put on.
Action: Joan, Kay and Louise will liase and try to move forward KS, JD Update
before next meeting. by next
Team had met and set out project plans.
Sponsored event will take place in October. Sponsored sheets will
be detailed advising monies raised will be used towards a new smart
board. Two volunteers to help on day with events.
Action: Sheets to be printed and sent out WK commencing 29th Comm.
Photos – Could be done at the Winter Fayre. School to decide on date
Action: Jan to have full details on offering by next meeting. JG For
Bag packing – Susan Board has rewritten to Morrisons regarding bag meeting
Ceilidh - Jan had details from local contact with plan for family -
event to be held in local Church hall. Indicative Profit £200ish with Team For
attendance from 40 families. Cost ect to be discussed further at next next
School Cook Book – Cook books with various world dishes. Recipes
to be provided from Parents. To be ready in time for school, winter
fayre. Joan suggested not doing a calendar this year if we are going to
do a cookbook.
Action: Kay will take forward and coordinate collation of
recipes. Michelle to get some printing costs to allow us to decide KS, For
on best way to put together. MMM next
Date of party 28th October. Joanne Cunningham going to co-
Not met as yet.
M. Masters spoke about getting an e-mail address specifically for the
PC use. Jan advised Shawlands did have a central email address.
ACTION: Jan to contact Shawlands PC to request further detail
on set up. Elaine will contact GCC to enquiry JG, EC. Next
Jan advised on meeting attended with Council around PC letter query
around lack of space at Glendale. Maureen McKenna looking at
options and will rearrange a further meeting date to discuss further.
PARENT QUERY - SCHOOL DINNERS
Query raised by Parent regarding quantity and quality of food.
Request for samples to be made available. Suggestion that food
samples could be made available at Meet the Teacher night.
Action: Joan will speak to E. Laird about possible date. JD 23/09
Balance in June £2921.48. Cheque written for £1000.00 to school
towards new smart board, plus £30.00 for clerk’s fees. Money
promised for Dance Mat event and Samba drumming workshop. EC Next
Action: Elaine to provide details on dates for events to allow Meeting
transfer of money.
AOB - LUNCH
Jan advised that Jackie Kaliski P1 parent will be organising a lunch
for all P1 parents as a way of getting to know each other. Parents will
bring along food, Jan advised hire of community hall £20 per hour.
Date to be confirmed sometime in early October. No objections to
using PC funds for hire of venue.
It was noted that members list had not be changed since set up of PC
and that some members had not attended any meetings. Shirley
advised she had contacted by phone and email all members who had
not attended for over one year to enquiry if still wished a place on
PC. Further written communication to be sent before next meeting.
Action: Shirley to sent written communication to anyone who SE Before
has not attended (or sent apologies) for one year period. next
General discussion on how new members and volunteers can be
engaged going forward.
Meeting ended 8pm
Date of next 2 meetings – Wed 11/11/09 and Wed 13/1/10.