Name _________________________________________ Core __________________ Date ________________________
Unit 7 Age of Exploration Study Guide
1. Early sailors were limited by what they could see. If they traveled out into the open ocean away from land they would
get lost. They used landmarks along the coast to help them navigate. Thus, they were forced to stay near the coastlines.
2. The final invention that allowed sailors to travel further from home was that of the triangle-shaped sail. This new type
of sail allowed ships to harness the power of the wind to travel in any direction.
3. Between 1100 A.D. and 1400 A.D. new technologies emerged which helped sailors sail farther.
4. Columbus was a colonizer, and navigator who made four voyages across the Atlantic Ocean, leading to widespread
awareness of the Americas.
5. Columbus called the inhabitants of the places he visited “Indians,” never admitting that he had found a continent
6. Magellan attempted to become the first person to circumnavigate the world.
7. In 1521 while in the Philippines, Magellan was killed while trying to circumnavigate the world.
8. Magellan’s crew still completed the voyage around the world.
Identify and explain the significance of the following terms:
Compass - __________________________________________________________________________________________
Navigate - __________________________________________________________________________________________
Caravel - ___________________________________________________________________________________________
Christopher Columbus - ______________________________________________________________________________
Convert - ___________________________________________________________________________________________
Ferdinand Magellan- ________________________________________________________________________________
1. Why did Christopher Columbus want to sail the Atlantic Ocean? ____________________________________________
2. How did Europeans respond to news of Columbus’s first voyage? ___________________________________________
3. Do you think Columbus’s voyages were a success or a failure? Explain your answer. ____________________________
4. Where is the passage way known as the Strait of Magellan? ________________________________________________
5. On a separate sheet of paper imagine that you are one of the survivors of Magellan’s voyage. Write five questions that
you will ask about the importance of their journey. Then write answers that you imagine the crew would give, using
information found in the PowerPoint. Attach your answers to this study guide.