Identify Dependent Variables and Independent Variables and Directions of Hypothesis.
1. As maternal education increases, daughters' educational attainment increases.
2. Industrialization reduces wage inequality.
3. Occupational sex segregation (the extent to which occupations are 'male' or 'female')
contributes to the sex gap in earnings.
4. Father's occupational class increases son's educational attainment.
5. As educational attainment increases, occupational status increases.
6. Increased enforcement of equal employment law reduces racial disparity in earnings.
7. Greater access to public education leads to lower wage inequality.
8. Status inequality between men and women varies with a society's type of economy.
1. A society's suicide rate will increase with the level of alienation felt by its members.
2. Children who watch actors being rewarded for violent behavior on television will be more
likely to act aggressively towards their fellow playmates.
3. Nations which have been involved in one or more wars within the last five years are more
likely to experience increases in their national homicide rates.
4. Individuals who experience lower levels of attachment to their families will be more likely to
participate in deviant behavior.
5. Males will receive more severe sentences than females, even when they have committed the
6. If we only consider thefts involving more than $1000, there is an inverse relationship between
the amount stolen and the length of the prison sentence given to the thief. This means that as the
value of the stolen property goes up, the length of the prison sentence will go in which direction?
7. Cultures in which members changed their physical appearance prior to warfare were more apt
to demonstrate extreme forms of violence, such as torture, mutilation and execution.
8. Children whose fathers have less rewarding jobs demonstrate higher rates of involvement in
delinquent activities. If father's job rewards is our independent variable, and children's
involvement in delinquent activities is our dependent variable, what type of relationship is stated
9. African-Americans living in the south who are convicted of murdering a white victim will be
more likely to receive the death penalty than whites who are convicted of murdering an African-
10. When drug laws become more severe, we will see little change in the percentage of people
who use or sell drugs.