Job Title: Assistant Director - Oxfordshire
Accountable To: Director of Development
The Assistant Director will provide effective leadership and efficient
operational management of the Society's service activities in Oxfordshire.
Overall, this post will ensure that all aspects of service delivery are
managed in an efficient and effective manner in accordance with relevant
legislation, organisational systems and procedures and that staff meet the
needs of service users in line with the principles of Person Centred Care
and appropriate quality standards.
1. To be responsible for contract performance for services falling
within your remit.
2. To ensure that all services operate within the policies, systems and
procedures of the Camden Society.
3. To be responsible for the day-to-day staffing resources of the
Services falling under your remit, ensuring that staff objectives are
regularly set, with performance appraised at regular intervals.
4. To be responsible for ensuring that appropriate staffing levels are
operating in the services and that annual leave commitments and
other absences are managed effectively.
5. To initiate and manage in accordance with legislation and good
practice all the processes associated with:
Job description -1- May 2012
6. To oversee the Policy and Procedure for the management of Service
Users Person Centred Care Plans and check that there is a regular
review of this as and when necessary.
7. To be responsible through delegated authority to other Managers,
for the effective management and safe keeping of client and
company resources including property and equipment, bank and
cheque books, petty cash system etc
8. To ensure that all managers and staff maintain complete and
comprehensive service documentation and records.
9. To ensure that all managers and staff consistently apply the
operational and management systems of the Camden Society
10. To ensure that staff budgets and shift patterns are managed
efficiently and cost effectively, within regulatory guidelines.
11. To ensure that all services comply with Health & Safety regulations
and good practice as laid down by the Camden Society and to
ensure that required risk assessments are in place and reviewed at
1. To participate in the development of the day opportunities, social
enterprises and employment arms of the Camden Society and
promote a positive image of the organisation to service users, staff,
relatives and carers as well as to other external bodies and
2. To develop and maintain links and good relations with other
professionals and external agencies in particular with:
CQC (lead and Regional Inspectors)
PCT’s and other commissioning bodies.
Families & carers
and with other appropriate agencies whose aims and objectives
compliment the services of the organisation, or whose services and
facilities improve the outcomes for Service Users.
3. To ensure that training is delivered which meets statutory or policy
requirements and good practice.
4. To initiate and develop new ideas and innovative methods of
working and to strive for continual improvement regarding the
Job description -2- May 2012
quality of service and the involvement of service users and other
stakeholders as much as possible.
5. To deputise for other colleagues as and when required but at all
times show willing to become involved in all daily activities and
support the plans for the organisation.
6. Consult promptly and report to the Senior Management Team,
regarding any problems or difficulties which may prevent the
efficient delivery of high quality services.
7. Keep up to date with service developments and trends in relation to
The care of people with learning disabilities and/or Service Users
who access our services by participating and leading in discussions,
training sessions and workshops when required to do so.
1. To ensure that corporate goals and values are effectively
communicated and adhered to.
2. To establish a system of effective communication across the
Oxfordshire services which includes regular staff meetings,
involving staff at all levels and ensuring that comprehensive
minutes are kept and actions implemented.
3. To design a set of Performance Indicators with the director of
development and to be responsible for the co-ordination,
supervision and monitoring of staff’s work and practices within the
services through effective leadership, management and support of
the Senior Management Team.
4. To participate in the production of an annual budget and operating
plan for agreement by the Trustees and to ensure that staff at all
levels have the opportunity to contribute to the business and
budget planning process.
5. To be responsible for the efficient management of all operational
and development budgets.
6. To manage and overview all HR related issues at services level,
working in conjunction with the HR Manager and Officers as
7. To ensure that all staff understand and comply with the agreed
policies and procedures of the Camden Society and to update and
introduce new policies and procedures as appropriate, seeking
Trustee agreement where necessary.
Job description -3- May 2012
1. To establish and operate robust recording and reporting
mechanisms that are in accordance with relevant legislation,
contractual requirements and good practice.
2. To work to achieve and retain the organisation’s accreditation at IIP
and other levels (for example: IAG, Hospitality Assured, PQASSO,
3. To design and implement systems to manage areas of work
associated with procurement of all resources across the
organisation, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation as
4. To negotiate robust contracts with purchasers and to work with the
Finance Director to develop income and manage expenditure levels,
whilst ensuring that high standards of quality service are
5. To lead as the responsible post holder in relation to matters arising
from compliance with the Registration and Inspection requirements
of Domiciliary Care and Supporting People laid down by the relevant
Regulatory Body. This includes staffing levels, arrangements for
medication and administrative practices, environmental health,
employment, fire prevention, health and safety procedures etc.
6. To ensure that an effective system of risk management is
maintained for all the services that fall under your remit, reporting
to SMT on the outcomes at regular intervals.
7. To draft and present a comprehensive management report to the
Director of Development on a quarterly basis.
1. To perform other duties, as reasonably specified by the Director of
Development or a member of the Senior Management Team from
time to time.
2. To seek and procure professional advice, within budgetary
constraints, as appropriate and where necessary to ensure the
delivery of high quality services across the organisation.
3. To coordinate and participate in an on-call and duty rota system to
provide managerial support.
Job description -4- May 2012