GOALS AND OBJECTIVES FOR
To further develop clinical skills, ability to analyse patients’ problems and formulate a
management/treatment plan through an exposure to a wide variety of patients with
CanMEDS 2000 ROLE/SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
Medical Expert/Clinical Decision Maker
1. Based on clinical data, an appropriate diagnostic impression be formulated with
a differential diagnosis in patients with common neurological diseases.
2. Be aware of and be able to recognize common radiological features of inpatient
neurological diseases such as cerebrovascular hemorrhage, CNS tumor,
multiple sclerosis, cerebral infarctions.
3. Be capable of performing a lumbar puncture utilizing proper sterile techniques
and interpret common CSF abnormalities.
4. Be aware of the indications and contra-indications of the following investigations:
EEG, EMG/NC STUDIES, CT scanning of head and spine, MRI scanning of
head and spine, cerebral angiography.
1. When presented with a patient with a neurological problem, the resident should
be able to:
a) perform a thorough history with emphasis on the detailed history of the
present problem, including a collateral history where necessary.
b) perform a general physical examination as well as a detailed examination
of the neurological system.
c) detect and discuss the significance of the more common physical
abnormalities related to the individual portion of the nervous system.
2. Appreciate the importance of effective and clear communication with patients
and involved family members.
Educational Goals and Objectives …/ 2
1. Recognize and integrate into case management the roles of other health care
providers including neurosurgeons, speech therapists, occupational therapists,
physiotherapists, rehabilitation physicians, dieticians, psychiatrists and social
2. Foster respect for and appreciation of the importance of communication with
allied health care workers and referring physicians in the care of patients.
1. Based on the differential diagnosis, a logical, cost effective investigation plan be
proposed that would help in establishing a diagnosis.
2. Understand the indications as well as the limitations/complications of various
radiological and non-radiological investigations of the nervous system.
1. Recognize the role played by physicians in the health care system.
2. Appreciate patient autonomy and the religious, ethnic and psychosocial factors
which influence the doctor-patient relationship and to take such factors into
account when pursuing problems and understanding patient decisions.
1. Use patient encounters as a stimulus to further reading and review of the current
2. Further develop and enhance skills in critical appraisal and the practice of
3. Understand the importance of patient education in the management of many
common medical/neurological conditions.
1. To demonstrate effective ethical medical care in a professional manner.
2. To demonstrate appropriate professional behavior and interpersonal skills.