Law 12 Ms. Ripley
Questions to be answered.
"Veiled Threat” by Sally Armstrong (1997)
Veiled Threat begins on September 27, 1996, the day the Taliban seized power and put women under
house arrest. The personal revelations of Afghan women are woven throughout the narrative of Veiled
Threat. They vividly illustrate the harsh realities of the lives of women and girls, as well as the cloak-and-
dagger covert action the women were taking to subvert the hateful edicts of the Taliban.
1. What experience is Fatana (a female Afghan psychiatrist) describing in the first two paragraphs
of the story?
2. The Taliban leader, Omar suggested the reason for this decree is because?
3. On September 27, 1996 what happened to
a) the leaders of Afghanistan?
b) the women of Kabul?
4. Who are the Taliban, and what is their membership like?
5. What happens to women who commit the following crimes:
a) lead a women's revolt in Heart
Law 12 Ms. Ripley
b) show ankles or hand in public, or allow children to play with toys
c) are outside without a male member of her immediate family
6. Who should stop this medieval era of human rights?
7. Explain the Taliban manifesto.
8. Name who ruled/is ruling Afghanistan during each of the time frames: -previous to 1972, 1972-
1978, August 1978- February 1989, and 2003 to present:
9. The United States funded the Mujahideen for what purpose?
10. List an event from Dr. Sima Sama's life that you disturbing. Why?
11. Obviously the extremists do not follow the Islamic religion? What are they really doing in the disguise
12. The international community for years allowed the events that we have read to exist. 9-11 changed
the viewpoint of especially the United States. Canada is in Afghanistan and has lost close to one
hundred men. Has what you read influenced you in your final question to answer? Should Canada and
the international community be in Afghanistan?
Canada and the world have a strategic interest in a secure, self-sufficient, and stable Afghanistan. This is
the stance of the government today. If you are interested I have included a web site you may find