Chemistry Chapter 4 Questions
1. What did John Newland notice when he arranged the 1st sixteen elements in
order? What order did he arrange them in?
2. How did Dmitri Mendeleev order the elements? What were two interesting
things about the table he created?
3. Forty years later Henry Moseley created an arrangement for the elements
that got rid of the discrepancies that were in Mendeleev’s table. How did
Moseley arrange the elements to get rid of the discrepancies?
4. Define what a period is on the periodic table.
5. Define what a group is on the periodic table.
6. What Groups are the metals found in?
7. Where are the transition metals found?
8. What Groups are the nonmetals found in?
9. Which Groups are the main-group elements?
10. Name the four special names for the main-group elements.
11. On the attached periodic table, please label the following: Alkali metals,
alkaline-earth metals, transition metals, halogens, and the noble gases. Also
highlight the period numbers in yellow and the group numbers in orange or pink.