WEST FORSYTH – ANNOUNCEMENTS
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Today is Day 91
Announcements are posted daily on the West Forsyth website:
To receive the daily announcements via email please send your email address to
1. West Fest Talent Show will be held on Feb. 21 and 22. Auditions will be held afterschool on Feb. 4
and 5. Any school appropriate act is welcome to audition. You must have your talent ready as if it
were a performance, including your accompaniment. See call board in the PAC hallway for sign up
times at the end of January.
Bands - you will audition by giving a DVD/Video of your live performance to Mrs. Hubbard by Feb.
4th. You will not be auditioning live the days of auditions due to time conflicts.
2. Rising Freshmen in the Class of 2017 and those who will be new to West Forsyth are invited to
attend and learn about the offerings West has in academics, athletics and extracurricular activities.
Please come and Explore the Possibilities at West on Wednesday, January 30 at 6:30 pm in the
Performing Arts Center Auditorium!
3. SAVE THE DATE-Parents and Students of the Class of 2017 on Monday, February 11 at 6:30 pm plan
to attend a meeting in the PAC to learn about graduation requirements and registration information.
4. The Career Center will be hosting an Open House on January 24 from 6:30-8:30 for interested
students/parents to tour the facility and talk to teachers about courses.
5. Auditions for the spring musical, Oklahoma, will be Jan. 28-Feb. 1 in the PAC. Please see the PAC
call board for all music, monologues and general times and information.
6. "PLAY FOR RYAN" West Forsyth will play Basketball at Mt Tabor Friday 1/25. The game is
being called "Play For Ryan" You need to purchase your Specially designed pink t-shirt that says "Play
For Ryan. All proceeds from the game will go to help Ryan Wood's family. When you wear the shirt to
the Girls game at Mt Tabor you will get in free. You must be there before half time of the girls game.
The Shirts are available in the main office. Get yours while supplies last. Please help this very worthy
7. *ATTENTION STUDENTS: Every Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday we will have transportation for ANY
student that needs tutoring after school. The activity bus will leave from the parking lot the yellow
buses leave from and it will leave promptly at 5pm. Lieutenant Colonel Brown will be the driver so
please students if you need to stay for tutoring there is transportation provided on every Monday,
Tuesday, and Thursday that we are in school.
1. SENIORS- There are 102 seniors who have not checked the spelling of their name for graduation.
These students are nearly all who have English at the Career Center or have English 2
semester. PLEASE come to the guidance office to check your name on the list ASAP!
2. Seniors-Vienna Civic Club is offering a scholarship of $100 to $500 based on merit need without
regard to sex,race,or national orgin. Please come by the guidance office for an application. All
applications must be submitted by January 31 .
1. Please take note of the new procedures for The Aubrey Lee Brooks Scholarship- The Brooks
Scholarship no longer requires the PROFILE form; financial need will be assessed based on the
student’s 2013-14 FAFSA (www.FAFSA.gov). The 2013-14 FAFSA cannot be accessed until January
1 , 2013 and it must be submitted by the January 31 deadline. Most students will need to use
estimated financial information in order to submit the FAFSA by the deadline. The Brooks
Foundation will work with the universities to verify the reported financial information later in the
term. Students must apply through the CFNC.org website and must have (or must set up) a free MY
CFNC account to complete the application.
2. The AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY FRESHMAN SCHOLARSHIP is for students intending to pursue a
degree in nuclear engineering. If you are interested and would like more information please go to
www.ans.org/honors/scholarships . The deadline for applications is February 1.
3. Camp Med 2013 Summer Program: Current freshmen, sophomores and juniors may apply for the
program to educate and prepare students for careers in the health professions. Students must have a
minimum of a 2.5 grade point average and submit a transcript and letter of recommendation. The
dates of the program are June 24-28. Applications are available in guidance and must be received by
Camp Med no later than April 30. For more information, please contact Shirley Dockery at 716-3178
or email@example.com .
5. The SportQuest Playing With Purpose Scholarship Program is a national program that honors
th th th
and encourages high school student athletes in 10 ,11 and 12 grades who excel athletically,
academically and have committed their life to following Christ. Through scholarships, college
exposure, community and national recognition, and more, we want to see them succeed and make a
difference in this world. The application deadline is February 1, 2013 . For more detailed
information, please visit www.playingwithpurpose.org.
1. West 4 Paws will meet Thursday Jan 24 in room 407 from 3:50-4:45 to discuss and plan the February
Pet Food Drive. See Miss Gould's web page for details.
2. JCC - our next meeting will be Monday, January 28 after school in room 206 from 3:50 - 4:30. We
are breaking into small groups so please plan to attend. See Mrs. Harvey if you have questions.
3. *Latino Achievers: We have a meeting on Wednesday, January 30 at 3:40 in room 1020. If you have
any questions stop by room 2207 and talk to Mrs. Bello.
4. *Attention FCCLA members, we will have a brief meeting Thursday, January 24th, at 3:45 p.m. in
room 106. Please plan to come.
5. *Titan Achiever's meeting on Thursday, January 31, 2013 in Mr. Oakley's classroom at 3:45pm and
will last until 4:15pm. I will need all members and students who want to be a part of the group to
meet Mr. White in Mr. Oakley's classroom.
1. Boys who are interested in playing tennis this spring need to sign up with Coach Casey in
the Simpson Gym by February 1.
2. *There will be no girls soccer open field this Thursday. We will start back up on Tuesday and Thursday
3. *There will be a meeting today for anyone interested in trying out for the boys golf team this spring in
room 406 right after school. See Coach Pennington for details.
Friends of Rachel’s Club Quote of the Day
“A BMW can’t take you as far as a diploma.” -Joyce A Myers