CBL Teaching Case
Pertinent History on patients presenting with joint pain
Differential Diagnoses of Inflammatory Arthritis
Serological Investigations in patients with inflammatory arthritis
o Diagnostic and prognostic profile in rheumatic diseases
Diagnostic criteria of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Therapeutic options of patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis, including initial treatment and DMARDs
Monitoring and toxicities of common drugs used in RA
o Approach to the Examination on the hands for RA
o Differences in the joint involvement in different disease processes
(RA, Psoriatic, OA etc.)
Consent for treatment
o Biologic therapy (etanercept)
Counseling regarding pregnancy with chronic disease requiring medications
Breaking Bad news
o Discussing diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Discussion of recent clinical trials in RA and DMARDs
Discussion of challenges facing patients attempting to gain access to new therapies for treatment of
1. Zendman et al. Use and Significance of anti-CCP autoantibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Rheumatology 2006. 45(1):20-5.
2. O’Dell et al. Therapeutic Strategies for Rheumatoid Arthritis. NEJM 2004; 350: 2594-602.
3. Scott et al. TNF Inhibition for Rheumatoid Arthritis. NEJM 2006; 355: 704-12.
4. Mottonen el al. Combination DMARD therapy including corticosteroids in Early Rheumatoid
Arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 1999 Nov-Dec; 17(6 Suppl 18) S59-65.
5. Golding et al. Rheumatoid Arthritis and Reproduction. Rheum Dis Clin North America May
2007; 33(2) 319-43.