SK Y2 Unit 1 pg. 5
Focus: Reading/ Listening
Topic: Birthday Presents
Standard: 2.2 By the end of the 6-year primary schooling, pupils will be able to
demonstrate understanding of a variety of linear and non-linear texts in
the form of print and non-print materials using a range of strategies to
2.2.4 Able to read and understand a paragraph of 5-8 simple sentences.
By the end of the lesson pupils will be able to
1. Answer 3 questions correctly based on the text read. (AB 5)
2. Produce a pop up birthday card.
Time: 60 min
Teaching Aids: Laptop, LCD, manila card, picture of cake and present, scissors and
Lesson Link: http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/craft-downloads/birthdays
Prepare By: Connie Henry Anchangan
1. Teacher brings into class a gift-wrapped box filled with
10 or 15 small items like toy cars, dolls, coloured pencils,
2. Teacher asks the pupils to guess what is in the box.
Once the pupils have guessed take each item out and teach
any words the pupils don’t know.
3. Play Kim’s game: Teacher puts everything back in the
box and asks pupils to write down (or draw if they can’t
remember the spelling) as many of the items as they can.
4. Teacher asks the pupils when they give presents and to
5. Teacher asks the pupils to read the text on page 5
6. Teacher asks questions based on the text.
Who does Agus want to buy present for?
Where is he going to buy the present?
Why does Agus want to give Pat as a present?
What present do you think Agus choose for Pat?
The United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).
7. Teacher plays a video from website
8. Teacher and pupils talk about the instructions for making
the pop up birthday card.
9. Pupils make the pop up birthday card with teacher’s
Page 2 of 2