A Pathfinder for The War in
Afghanistan (also known as Af-Pak
Conflict or Operation Enduring Freedom)
If you would like to learn more about The War
in Afghanistan, follow the links on this
pathfinder. It will help you find information in
the school library, on the Internet, and in the
community about The War in Afghanistan
Please remember that there was a previous war between
Afghanistan and the former Soviet Union called the
Soviet-Afghan or Afghan-Soviet War
Click on the sections below to guide you to different areas of the pathfinder
Websites LAPL Databases CSUN Oviatt Library
Google E-Books CIA Factbook War Report U.S. Department of U.S. Department of
(Afghan War ) (Afghanistan) (Afghan) Defense Stater
All of these websites allow users to search for information using keywords or phrases. Just
type your subject words into any search screen in the website.
1. Center for Defense Information: Information updates from 2001-2008 on conflict in
Afghanistan. - http://www.cdi.org/program/issue/index.cfm?ProgramID=39&issueid=48.
2. CNN - War in Afghanistan - Ongoing news, analysis and commentary including policy and
politics, elections, the Taliban and al Qaeda, frontlines, homefront and inside Afghanistan.
With maps, key players, photos and video. USA. -
3. Conflict in Afghanistan, an encyclopedia: This volume provides nearly 400 entries that cover
the history of conflict in Afghanistan from 1747 through the Taliban and Operation Enduring
Freedom. Other notable features include a lengthy historical narrative introduction, several
useful maps, numerous pictures, an extensive chronology, abbreviations and acronyms, an
extensive topical bibliography, websites. Requires login and password. http://ebooks.abc-
4. Foreign Policy - The AfPak Channel - News and analysis by Middle East experts about the
war for South Asia, particularly in Afghanistan and Pakistan, covering terrorism, foreign
policy, corruption, finance and military issues. Includes Daily Brief, blog, background
material and reading list. - http://www.foreignpolicy.com/afpak.
5. Global Research. Ca: Canadian website publishing “news articles, commentary, background
research and analysis on a broad range of issues, focussing on social, economic, strategic and
6. Guardian.co.uk - Afghanistan - Ongoing coverage: news, comment and analysis, audio,
video, online debates with experts, interactives, backgrounders and talk boards. Extensive web
- resources. UK. - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/afghanistan.
7. International Crisis Group: includes a political and socio-economic history of Afghanistan -
8. Operation Enduring Freedom from Global Security.org: Information on conflict, links to
governmental websites, including international and military sites, associated with Afghan
Conflict - http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/enduring-freedom.htm.
9. Operation Enduring Freedom Tactics, Techniques and Procedures Handbook provided by
the Secretary of the United States Army (chapter 3 link applies to Afghanistan) -
10. Operation Enduring Freedom: A Retrospective: an article by Stephan Zunes for Foreign
Policy in Focus - http://www.fpif.org/articles/operation_enduring_freedom_a_retrospective.
11. PBS NewsHour - Afghanistan and the War on Terror - Ongoing coverage of the political
issues and historic events that have shaped Afghanistan since the rise of the Taliban. USA. -
12. Taliban Conflict from BBC News: Ongoing coverage focusing on the Taliban groups of
Pakistan and Afghanistan. Includes history, maps, videos and interactives. UK. -
13. The Af-Pak Channel from Foreign Policy magazine; articles on current conflicts and events
in both Afghanistan and Pakistan.
14. United States Central Command: Information center for US relations with countries in the
Middle East. Use search engine to look for new stories related to Afghanistan. Includes video
and related maps. - http://www.centcom.mil/en/topics/significant-operations/operation-
15. War in Afghanistan from The History Guy: includes causes of the conflict, current statistics
and status of the conflict at this time - http://www.historyguy.com/war_in_afghanistan.html.
16. Washington Post - The AfPak War - News, analysis and commentary on the war in
Afghanistan and Pakistan with photos and multimedia. USA. -
17. Yahoo Directory for Operation Enduring Freedom: Small list of articles related to terrorism
and articles regarding Operation Enduring Freedom. -
Return to Menu
Databases for Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL)
These are the databases that may be most helpful to you in doing this particular project. Click
on the title of the database to open then type in LAPL library card number and
password. Password is the last four digits of your home phone.
1. ProQuest Newsstand: Full text of over 300 U.S. and International news sources, including the
Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Daily News, Orange County Register, Chicago Tribune,
New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor, USA
Today, Boston Globe, Atlanta Journal/Constitution, and the Times of London.
2. Research Library (Proquest): General interest magazines on a broad range of subjects from
arts, business, children, health, humanities, international, law, military, psychology, social
sciences, women's interests and more.
3. General OneFile (Gale) :News and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business,
computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health, hobbies,
humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology with
many full-text articles.
4. History Resource Center: World (Gale) A comprehensive collection of full-text periodicals,
reference works, and primary source documents that give extensive coverage of the 20th
century world. Additional historical resources are being added continually to expand the time
frame from antiquity to the present.
5. History Resource Center: U.S. (Gale): Covers all areas of U.S. history from pre-colonial
times to the present day through primary documents, original reference sources and
Return to Menu
CSUN Oviatt Library Catalogue and Databases
Please Remember: Oviatt database resources must be used inside the CSUN Oviatt Library.
The Oviatt Library Hours are M-F 7:45 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., SAT 12:00-5:00 p.m. and SUN 12:00-
Oviatt Library Catalog link: http://suncat.csun.edu/.
Tips for searching in online library catalogue:
1. Save the book records you want using the cart
2. Always email the book results to yourself using full display
3. Use the library tutorials programs to help you find information. They will show you how to
search databases and the library catalogue: GOTO:
The best thing is to go to the Oviatt database index which is organized by subject area. Choose the
subject area in which you are interested GOTO http://library.csun.edu/xerxes/
Newsbank Special Reports: Includes content from sources throughout the world to provide a global
perspective, current and background information, statistics, maps, images, websites, and suggested
search terms. New information is added daily to featured and current reports.
ProQuest Newspapers: Full text access to over 600 US and international newspapers, hundreds of
other news wires and news sources. Dates vary. (also available through LAPL)
Social Sciences Full Text (Wilson): Articles from 300 journals in the social sciences; indexing 1983-
, abstracts 1984-, select full text 1994-.
Social SciSearch: Cited reference database for social sciences, 1972-
Opposing Viewpoints Reference Center: Features viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text
magazine, academic journal and newspaper articles, primary source documents, statistics, images and
podcasts, and links to Websites. Updated daily. (also available through LAPL).
Return to Menu