Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Department of Human Resources - Download Now DOC


									Department of Human Resources

Human Resources Web Address:

June 2008

Independence Day Holiday
The Independence Day holiday will be celebrated on Friday, July 4. Since classes are not in session on July 4, most offices will close on Thursday, July 3 at 4:00 p.m., and will reopen at 7:30 a.m. on Monday, July 7. Employees required to work during the holiday will earn hour-for-hour compensatory time for hours worked.

Deferred Compensation Plan Meetings
Representatives from Great-West, the Commonwealth of Virginia Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan, will be hosting regional meetings. Each meeting will include plan features and benefits, account management and distribution options. Participants and non-participants are invited to attend. Pre-registration is not required. Call Human Resources at 831-5008 for additional details. July 9 – VDOT Salem District 731 Harrison Ave Salem, VA 9:00 am, 10:30 am & 12:00 pm Additional information regarding other locations and times is available online at:

Making Health Plan Changes Outside Of Open Enrollment
The Internal Revenue Service restricts changes which can be made to health care coverage and membership. You are eligible to make changes within 31 days of any of the following events:       marriage, divorce, or death of a spouse; retirement; birth, adoption or formal pre-adoptive agreement of a child; Medicaid termination; loss of dependent status due to age, marriage or income; change or loss of spouse's health benefits.

VRS Retirement Education Seminars and Group Counseling Sessions
The Virginia Retirement system offers education and counseling opportunities to help you plan your retirement. The sessions are conducted throughout the state at various locations. You may review the schedule of dates, locations and registration information at: edule.asp Please contact Human Resources at 831-5008 if you have any questions.

To fully discuss all requirements, please stop by or call Human Resources at 831-5008.

Telephone Directory
Telephone directory verification forms have been sent to your departments. In order for the 2008/09 RU Telephone Directory to be as complete as possible it is essential that departments return verification forms to Human Resources, Box 6889, no later than June 20. This year all personal information will be suppressed in the directory. Call Lisa Lorton at 8316521 with questions.

New Personnel Action Forms
Are you using the correct forms when requesting personnel actions? A newly revised PR4, Separation/Transfer Notice is available on the Human Resources website and is effective immediately. In order to prevent unnecessary delays in processing personnel transactions, please ensure you are using the most current forms. Please check the HR website at before completing forms to verify you are using the correct version.

Savings Bond Rate Information
Information on rates and purchasing savings bonds online is available at

Health Insurance Benefits - Wellness Services
Current health insurance benefits through Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield provide coverage for Wellness Services for all enrolled participants. This benefit allows covered individuals to have routine wellness checkups annually and provides payment for many preventative care procedures. Currently there is no deductible, co-payment, or co-insurance charge for wellness or preventative care services. When you go to your physician for a routine wellness visit be sure to let the doctor’s office know that you have wellness coverage through your insurance plan and that you are not required to pay a co-payment for these services. Otherwise, you may be paying unnecessary co-payments. Please refer to your COVA Care Member Handbook for further information regarding Wellness Services.

Employees Ordered To Active Military Duty
If you have received verbal or written notification of being ordered to active military duty, please contact Human Resources at 831-5008 to schedule an appointment to discuss your reemployment rights and the status of benefits during your absence.

Congratulations to Annette Tokarczyk and Sharon Gunter. Their names were drawn for the $50 nonrefundable gift certificates for their participation in CommonHealth programs and activities. The money will be added to their RU Express accounts. The next CommonHealth program is scheduled for September 2008. More information on the fall programs will be available in August. Have a safe and healthy summer!

When Your Dependent Turns 23 or Becomes Self-Supporting
If you have a dependent child that turns 23 during 2008, he or she must be removed from your health insurance coverage effective December 31, 2008. Claims will not be paid for medical services received after that date. Dependents that become ineligible in 2008 are eligible to apply for extended coverage. It is your responsibility to complete a new health insurance enrollment form to formally drop your ineligible dependent(s). Eligible biological or adopted children may be covered to the end of the year in which they turn age 23, regardless of student status, if the child lives at home, is not married and is not self-supporting. The determination of whether a child is self-supporting is based upon the answer to two questions:   Does the child receive over one-half of his or her support from the employee? Does the child live at home?

Direct Deposit Policy Change Effective August 1, 2008
Any employee hired or rehired on or after August 1, 2008 will be required to receive their net pay by electronic deposit. This direct deposit will be to the employee’s bank of choice or any debit/pay card including the Commonwealth’s EPPICARD. This policy includes faculty, classified, wage, graduate assistants, work study, resident directors and any other employee hired that will be receiving more than one pay check. For more information on this new policy or the EPPICARD contact Cindy Eller at extension 7610, or email at

There are limited circumstances which would allow eligibility for the program even if the child does not live at home. Examples include:   the child lives with the other parent if the employee is divorced; the child lives away from home while attending college or boarding school.

Please contact Human Resources at 831-5008 if you have questions.

To top