UNIVERSITY OF WARWICK
Environment & Amenities’ Committee
Minutes from the Meeting of the Environment & Amenities’ Committee held on 22nd7th Nov Feb
Present: Mr Jon Baldwin (Registrar & Chair), Mr Bob R Wilson (Director of Estates and
Chair), Professor S Bassnett (Pro Vice Chancellor, Campus & the Community),
Professor Caroline Series, Dr Martin Skinner, Mr Paul Smyth, Mr Paddy Kent,
Ms Sarah Shalgosky, Mr David Veale (Director of Safety & Occupational Health
ServicesUniversity Safety Officer), Ms J oy Warren, Mr Roger Boxall (Grounds’
Apologies: Mr J Baldwin (Registrar), Dr M Skinner, Ms S Shalgosky.Professor Susan Formatted: Font: 11 pt
Bassnett (Pro Vice Chancellor, Campus & the Community)
In attendance: Mr Mike Stacey (Head of Estate Services), Mr J Wrigleys Liz L Pride (Campus
Development Architect), Mr Chris Churchman (University Landscape Architect),
Mr Nick Hillard (Environment Officer & Committee Secretary).
156/06-07 Membership and Terms of Reference
RECEIVED (from the Registrar):
A verbal An oral report from Jon Baldwinthe Registrar on the structure and Terms of Reference
for the newly-formed Environment and Amenities’ Committee, including. This included a review
of the previous successful work of the Environment Committee and the Landscape Working
Jon BaldwinThe Registrar extended his sincere thanks to all those previous members and
attendees of the former Environment Committee and Landscape Working Group.
Joy Warren extended her appreciation and highlighted the role of Jon Baldwinthe Registrar in
promoting environmental initiatives across the university.
Paul Smyth confirmed his aspiration for the future university to be a truly sustainable campus.
That the minutes of the meeting of the Landscape Working Group held on 2nd May 2006 and
the Environment & Amenities’ Committee held on 8th May27th November 20067 be approved.
1673/06-07 Matters Arising
(a) Environmental Audit of PurchasingThe use of recycled paper (E&A C Minute 3/056-067
REPORTED (by the Committee Secretary):
That the Purchasing Department had been contacted to ascertain whether the previous
recommendations to set targets and circulate samples of environmentally friendly paper
had been undertaken.proposals to encourage departments to purchase recycled as
opposed to virgin paper (as set out in Paper 6/05-06) were approved at Building
Committee on 25th May 2006. Purchasing seminars had been held across the
university. I, but also notedIt was also noted that the recent re-tendering of the
stationery contract had largely resolved the issue, with buyers able to pick an
environmentally-friendly alternative on over 1700 product lines from Lyreco.
Work to raise awareness and to link environmental improvement to supplier
performance reviews was ongoing.
The University had recently re-tendered the stationery contract and that sustainability
issues had been considered within the tender process. The visibility of environmental
issues within the operations of the new supplier, Lyreco, was considered to represent a
That Nick Hillardthe university must seek to procure environmentally sustainable
stationery and that the Committee Secretary makemakes further enquiriesy as to
whether samples of environmentally-friendly stationery were distributed amongst
Hheads of Ddepartment and Departmental Administratorsdefault option for all paper
procurement should be set at recycled.
b) IT Services Environmental Initiatives (EC Minute 5/05-06 (b) refers)
REPORTED (by the Committee Secretary):
That, following discussions with ITS regarding the use of recycled paper, the Secretary
of the former Environment Committee had run a test of recycled vs non-recycled paper.
Relevant trial participants could not identify significant quality differences between the
two and students should not anticipate any discrimination in marking for submitting
assessed work on recycled paper.
(c) Sustainable Transport (EC Minute 15/05-06 (c) and EC Minute 28/05-06 (b) refers)
REPORTED (by the Registrar and Head of Estate Services):
That, gGiven the importance of the sustainable transport agenda to the University’s
future development, it was suggested by Jon Baldwinthe Registrar that a separate
meeting for Committee members to discuss the Campus Development Plan be
convened early in 2007. This would enable members to engage in detailed discussion
with the professional team regarding this transport and other pertinent matters relating
to the plan.
Mike Stacey provided a verbaln oral report regarding and that the feasibility of an
internal campus shuttle service and suggested that this was one possibility that the new
Transport Manager (when appointed) would consider in developing a. Jon BaldwinThe
Registrar highlighted that any proposals needed to provide an truly integrated solution
to the transport issues facing the University.
The meeting of committee members to discuss the Campus Development Plan tookwas
scheduled forplace on Wednesday 17th January 2007.
(d) Disposable Utensils and Dishes (EC Minute 19/05-06 refers)
RECEIVPORTED (by Mr P Smyth):
(i) TPaul Smyth reported that discussions had been held with Mr Clive Singleton
(General Manager of Warwick Food & Drink) and . As an example of progress,
he suggested that identified thaet provision of biodegradable packaging was
now present in University Library Café represented an example of progress.
(ii) That further discussions were to be held with Mr C Singleton to continue to
suggest environmental improvements.
Further discussions were to be held with Clive Singleton to continue to suggest
(eb) Dissemination of University Environmental Practices at the NHS Institute (EC&A Minute
30/056-07 (e)6 refers)
REPORTED (by the Committee Secretary):
Nick Hillard highlighted that specific discussionsThat specific discussion with the Noel
Green, Interim Head of Procurement at the NHS Institute (tenant at Coventry House)
had not yet been undertaken. Mr Green confirmed that the NHS Institute sought at all
times to minimise its environmental impact, had already been included in some campus-
wide environmental improvement initiatives and was interested in further discussions
around utility use.
DiscussionsThat communication channels around environmental improvements be
maintaineddiscussion with the NHS Institute would be held prior to the next meeting of
the Committee and the findings outcome of these discussions be reported back by Nick
Hillardthe Committee Secretary. in the future.
(cf) Area to the front of the Humanities Building (LWG Minute 38/05-06 (b) refers)
RECEIVED (from the University Landscape Architect):
Chris Churchman provided a verbalAn oral report regarding the proposals for this area,
in the context of the potential longer-term redevelopment of Library Road.
Martin Skinner raised issues regarding the pedestrian crossing at the end ofn Library
Road and the effect on circulating traffic.
Jon BaldwinThe Registrar suggested potentially making this a pelican crossing.
Paul Smyth suggested that the adverse effect on speed of circulating traffic was not
necessarily a bad thing and that the disruption might lead drivers to think twice about
their mode of transport to/from the University.
Chris Churchman suggested a raised crossing point to slow traffic down.
That this specific area would be included in the Campus Development Plan discussions
to be held on 17th January 2007 and that the University Landscape ArchitectChris
Churchman would subsequently draw up detailed design for the area.
(g)LWG Campus Walk – August 2006 Formatted: Bullets and Numbering
Bob Wilson ran through theThe Report of the Campus Walk held on 31 August 2006
(EAC .3/06-07) and extended the Committee’s thanks to Natalie Snodgrass for
compiling the reporttogether with an oral report from the Director of Estates. It was
reported that there had previously been two walks per year, focusing on specific areas
of the campus. These had proved particularly useful to the former Landscape Working
Group in establishing specific priority areas.
REPORTED (by the Director of Estates)CONSIDERED:
That recent Campus Walks had been held on a twice yearly basis, focusing on specific
areas of the campus and that these walks had proved particularly useful to the former
Landscape Working Group in establishing specific priority areas.
That the Campus Walks should remain an integral part of the Committee’s future
activities.Martin Skinner raised concerns regarding safety on Kirby Corner Road.
Paddy Kent enquired regarding landmark sustainability features for the campus.
Solar-powered 30 mph warning signs for motorists were suggested.
(h) University House Internal Landscaping (LWG E&A Minute 35/065-076 (dh) refers)
REPORTEDRECEIVED (from the RegistrarDirector of Estates):
Jon Baldwin thought that there had been some developmentsAn oral report
regardingThe Registrar outlined of the dated nature of some of the landscaping in the
area, together with general proposals regarding the University House internal
landscapingfor its refurbishment, but had no specific details.
Bob WilsonThat the plastic plants be removed from the building.
That the Grounds’ Superintendent establish detailed costings for the replanting and
subsequent maintenance of the area.
That the Director of Estates to investigateinvolve the Registrar estigates further and
report back in more detail to next Committee meetingin discussions relating to the
(di) Waste Issues in University House Water FeatureCampus Development Plan Discussion
(E&A Minute 38/05-066/06-07 (c) refers)
REPORTED (by the ChairRegistrar):
Bob WilsonTThe Registrar reported that the installation of bins along the University
House pedestrian route was completediscussion held on 17th January 2007 had been
welcomed by committee members and had resulted in improved understanding of the
environmental considerations that had been included within the outline planning
That Professor Series engages inhave separate discussions around the specific route of
the proposed Sprint Bus.
That, following comments by Mr Smyth, consideration be given to an independent
Sustainability Appraisal of the outline application.
Liz Pride identified bins as a major adverse effect on landscaping.
Caroline Series suggested adding recycling options to standard bins procured by the
1784/06-07 Environmental Policy ReviewChair’s Business
A report relating to amendments to the existing University Environmental Policy to enhance its
impact (Paper EAC 1/06-07).Two schematic proposals for future developments at the
University, including the Medical Teaching Building at Gibbet Hill.
Liz Pride highlighted a requirement to include elements of social sustainability and a “sense of
Paul Smyth enquired whether the proposed policy went far enough, whether it was sufficiently
ground-breaking. He also enquired as to the status of the University Sustainable Development
Joy Warren highlighted the opportunity for the University to have a proactive influence on local
communities, including local manufacturers.
Sarah Shalgosky confirmed that the University needed to push the boundaries.
That Paper EAC 1/06-07 be amended to take into account the points raised in discussion at the
meeting and re-circulated for consideration at the next meeting of the committee to be held on
22nd February 2007. In light of comments received, the policy statement would be amended
prior to the next Committee meeting and re-circulated by Nick Hillard for consideration by all
189/06-07 Environmental Policy Review
A revised report amending the existing University Environmental Policy and incorporating
comments from the previous Committee Meeting (Paper EAC 1/06-07 (Revised)).
That Paper EAC 1/06-07 (Revised) be amended to take into account the points raised in
discussion at the meeting and re-circulated for final consideration prior to being submitted for
consideration by Buildings’ Committee on 6th MarchXXXX 2007. Formatted: Superscript
19205/06-07 Metrics, Targets and Performance Measurement
A revised report amending Paper EAC2/06-07 and incorporating comments from the previous
Committee Meeting (Paper EAC 8/06-07).A report relating to targets set by other Higher
Education Institutions and public sector bodies to measure environmental performance
improvement (Paper EAC 2/06-07).
Martin Skinner requested further clarification regarding the University’s carbon management
Paul Smyth highlighted that the stated carbon reduction target was unlikely to be sufficient to
mitigate the effects of climate change. He confirmed that the University should be considering
adaptation to climate change, as well as mitigation.
Mike Stacey suggested that generic waste reduction targets were possible to derivecould be
Liz Pride highlighted a general 10-30% renewables target across the industry generally.
Paddy Kent suggested a target for recycling in halls of residence kitchens.
That Paper EAC 8/06-07 be amended to take into account the points raised in discussion at the
meeting and re-circulated for final consideration prior to being submitted for consideration by
Buildings’ Committee on 6th MarchXXXX 2007. That Paper EAC 2/06-07 be amended to take Formatted: Superscript
into account the points raised in discussion at the meeting and re-circulated for consideration at
the next meeting of the committee to be held on 22 nd February 2007. In light of comments
received, proposed targets, against which the University’s environmental performance could be
monitored, would be circulated by Nick Hillard prior to the next Committee meeting for
consideration by all members.
6201/06-07 Campus Development PlanLandscape Focus Area: Entrances to the University
RECEIVEDRECEIVED (from the University LandscapeDirector of Estates & :Campus
Development Architect and Grounds’ Superintendent):
Bob Wilson and Liz Pride provided sSome general background to the current Campus
Development Plan, highlighting the supporting strategies for landscape and travel
(incorporating sustainability / environmental considerations) that underpin the strategy.A
presentation regarding proposals to utilise landscaping to enhance existing entrances to the
That the Committee Secretary convene, early in 2007, aA separate meeting for Committee
members to discuss the Campus Development Plan was to be convened early in 2007.
The meeting of committee members to discuss the Campus Development Plan was scheduled
took place foron Wednesday 17th January 2007.
7212/06-07 Carbon Management ProgrammeEnvironmental Focus Area: Resource Management
(Waste & Recycling)
RECEIVED (from Head of Estates’ ServicesEnvironment Officer):
Nick Hillard provided anAn update report presentation relating to the carbon management
programme (Paper EAC 4/06-07)general progress made across the University
RECEIVED (from Ms Warren):
An oral report relating to the introduction of a comprehensive campus-wide office waste
RECEIVED (from Director of Safety & Occupational Health Services):
A presentation relating to disposal of hazardous waste materials across the campus.
2238/06-07 Resource Management (Waste & Recycling)Student Activities
RECEIVED (from the Head of Estate ServicesMr Kent):
Mike Stacey provided anAn update oral report relating to current student activities, particularly
those associated with GoGreen Weekthe progress made by Dorothy Drake (independent waste
consultant) since April 2006 (EAC 5/06-07).
Paddy Kent enquired as to the numbers of posters that had been placed in each residence
That the Committee Secretary make further enquiry into the Bob WilsonIt was suggested that
the Warwick District Council red box kerbside recycling scheme serving some of the Heronbank
/ Lakeside flats required to assist in reinvigorationing the scheme and also to c.
Paul Smyth enquired as to a compareison in relative differences in advertising budgets
between the University’s recycling initiatives and, for example, the Warwick Food and Drink
EAT card system.
9/06-07 Grounds Superintendent’s Report
RECEIVED (from the Grounds’ Superintendent):
A report from Roger Boxall regarddetailing high-profile grounds and gardens work (Paper EAC
10/06-07 Student Activities
RECEIVED (from Mr P Kent and Mr P Smyth):
A verbal report from Paddy KentAn oral report regarding ongoing student-led initiatives across
the campus. These included:
Attempts to reduce plastic bag consumption in Costcutters. Formatted: Bullets and Numbering
Attempts to reduce heating consumption in buildings esp. library.
Proposed inter-halls energy competition during Go Green Week (Week 7).
General outline of proposed activities during Go Green Week.
Details re. a proposed allotment initiative serving the existing Farmers’ Fayre.
11/06-07 Institutional Cultural Policy
RECEIVED (from Ms S Shalgosky):
Sarah Shalgosky provided a verbaAn orall report on the background to and proposals to extend
the University’s existing policy on the acquisition of artwork to new buildings.
12/06-07 Safety Report
RECEIVED (from the University Safety Officer):
AAn update report from David Veale regarding Radiation and the Environment (Paper EAC
7/06-07). The update confirmed that:
Tdisposal of surplus radioactive sources – the University had recently disposed of a large Formatted: Bullets and Numbering
number of radio-active sources, leading to a hugely reduced quantity across the University’s
visits by the Environment Agency inspectors – attended by the Deputy Registrar, Tthe Formatted: Bullets and Numbering
University had committed additional resources for monitoring compliance with relevant
Environment Agency legislative requirements;
Pproposed changes to our authorisations under the Radioactive Substances Act – due for Formatted: Bullets and Numbering
renewal in 2007, the University will, where prudent to do so, look to reduce overall number. (??
21342/06-07 Introduction of University Maths Houses, Gibbet Hill campus“Cycle to Work” Salary
Sacrifice Scheme for University Staff
REPORTED (by the Director of Estates):
Bob Wilson reported tThat English Heritage had visited the campus earlier in the year and that
these buildings were likely to be designated as “listed” in due course.An oral report outlining
proposals to introduce this tax-efficient scheme for University staff members.
That the Committee was generally in favour of the introduction of such a scheme.
21452/06-07 Planning for Works of Art in New Buildings
REPORTED (by the Secretary)
That the recommendation made by the Joint Council and Senate Strategy Committee at its
meeting on 21st November 2002 (Minute JCSSC 6/02-03) on planning for works of art in new
buildings be highlighted to the members of the Environment & Amenities’ Committee.
256/06-07 Date of Next Meeting
That the next meeting of the Committee is scheduled for Thursday 22nd Februar17th May 2007