• The LRA (Lord’s Resistant Army) is at war with the GoU (
Government of Uganda) in Africa. The GoU believes in people’s
rights. But the LRA is a dictatorship toward the people of Congo.
• Each year, about 500 children are stolen from their villages by the
LRA to be used as soldiers against their enemies. Many villages tried
to stand up to this army, but none have succeeded. Instead, they
are murdered for treason.
• This wicked war has been going on for 25 years!
What Does The LRA Do To The Children That Are
At The Camp?
• Starvation: When the children children to make them go to war
arrive at camp, the LRA starves and make them dependent on
the children who steal weapons, the army.
attempt to escape, or if a child • Mutilation: If a child acted very
doesn’t follow orders. bad, they would cut off a piece
• Training: While the children are of their body. Examples: an ear, a
at camp, they are trained to use nose, their hand, a foot, ect…
guns, weapons, and even
• Whipping: This is another
punishment for the children.
some children are whipped on
the face, back, and hands.
• Drugs: The LRA drugs the
The Invisible Children
• The Invisible Children is a non-profit organization who raises public
awareness about this problem in Congo. They have had rallies,
petitioned the federal government, and once a month traveled to
Congo with supplies, food, and clean water. They have even made a
movie about it!
• The Invisible Children have joined with some villages in Congo to
make Protection Plans for the children staying in their village. By
Using radio sets they can communicate with other villages and warn
them about what is going on.
25 Years of War, 25 Hours, April 25th
• Please donate one dollar towards the Invisible Children to help
them build a rehabilitation center for these children.
• Bring awareness of this problem to Richmond!
• For 25 hours on April 25 th, all of the students who will volunteer to
go silent will receive a pin that they will wear on April 25th. This
way, the teachers know why you aren’t talking. During classes, you
can use a whiteboard or a scrap piece of paper to communicate
with other classmates, teachers, or family.
• Remember, school isn’t for 25 hours so you will have to continue
being silent for the rest of the day.
When You Have To Be Silent
1:00 am 2:00 am
SO LETS JOIN
TOGETHER AND SAVE
LIVES IN AFRICA!
Children in Congo who have escaped from the LRA
now enjoying school.