• Special Formula to give an unfulfilled life
• Map that leads to total dissatisfaction
• Key to guaranteed unhappiness
• Prov 14:30 A sound heart is the life of the
flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
• Prov 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to
her husband: but she that maketh ashamed
is as rottenness in his bones.
• Feeling of displeasure produced by witnessing
or hearing of the advantage or prosperity of
others - Vines N.T. Words
• Examine another’s benefits (Jealousy)
• Negate his right to prosperity (undeserving)
• View your own blessings as inferior (cheated)
• You desire to trade places
• Chasing after an illusion, an impression
• Ignorant of the other’s true situation
• Damaging to the church
• 1 Cor 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas
there is among you envying, and strife, and
divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
• Envy and Strife Combined
Envy and Strife
• 1 Tim. 6:3-6 results of ignorance of truth
• James 3:14-16 evidence of world’s wisdom
• Phil. 1:15 motive behind some preachers
• Phil 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife
or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let
each esteem other better than themselves.
• Strife is Selfish Ambition (NIV and NKJ)
• 1 Sam. 18:7-12 (harm self and others)
• Prov 27:4 Wrath is cruel, and anger is
outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?
• Priests delivered Jesus for envy: Matt. 27:18
• Brothers sold Joseph for envy: Acts 7:9
• Envy is a disease of dissatisfaction,
an unquenchable thirst for retaliation
against a supposed inequity.
1 Peter 2:1-2
Wherefore laying aside
all malice, and all guile,
and hypocrisies, and envies,
and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere
milk of the word,
that ye may grow thereby: