PDS Advisory Council
June 1st, 2005
Attendance: Leslie Day, Jenn Golias, Nancy Chicola, Tom Sadowski, Karen Drew,
Deanna Hageman, Robin Zahm, Jim Mule, Fran Paskowitz, Denise Segars-McPhatter,
Laura Harris, and Carla Longo.
Minutes: The minutes from the April 22nd Advisory Council meeting were approved by
Placement Announcements: Leslie explained that we lost the Windermere School
to UB. We left on a good note and hope to get them back in the fold someday. Fran
Paskowtiz suggested a consortium of universities so we don’t wind up trying to steal each
other’s schools. Leslie announced that the department is looking for a school to host a
311 section and a 312 section in the fall. Several council members volunteered to send
out feelers to other principals.
Budget Announcements: Leslie stated that vouchers had been sent out. 17 schools
were at standard this semester. Deanna Hageman explained the new process for filling
out the vouchers. Due to regulations, Buffalo City Schools will get multiple vouchers for
the semester. All need to be signed and returned.
Goals- Karen Drew distributed a summary of the goals that were compiled at the last
PDS meeting. The goals sub committee will continue to work towards defining, pursuing,
and implementing those goals.
Dispositions- Over the summer a group needs to articulate dispositions and give bullets
clearly defining what they look like. This group will begin work at the next advisory
Field Expectations- Leslie and Nancy will share their old field expectations notebooks
with this subcommittee. This group hopes to develop a standard packet with expectations.
Leslie also would like a general PowerPoint that we can give to all schools explaining
New members joined the subcommittees the groups now contain:
Goals- Barb Smith, Karen Drew, Fran Paskowitz, and Lori Quigley
Dispositions- Nancy Chicola, Robin Zahm, and Robert Polino
Update Field Experience- Hibajene Shandomo, Leslie Day, Tom McCully, Jim
Mule, Laura Harris, and Carla Longo
These subcommittees will have work sessions at the next Advisory Council
meeting. It is not too late to join a subcommittee.
Ed Foundations Advisory Member- Leslie approached Ed Foundations and they are
exploring having one of their faculty members serve on the advisory council. This may
be on hold until after the college reorganizes.
Retreat Planning- The retreat date has been set for September 30th. Leslie and Jenn
reserved the rooms in the student union for that date. Due to building availability, the
retreat will start at 8:30am. Presenters may arrive anytime after 7:30 to set up.
Keynote: Leslie Day contacted Sam Chaltrain from the First Amendment Schools
who is available. He usually speaks for free as long as the group covers his travel
expenses. The council gave Leslie the go ahead to book him once he returns to the
Food: The Council voted to have the same breakfast as last year except to have a
fruit cup instead of fruit pieces. For lunch, we voted to have a hot meal as it costs
about the same. We chose one chicken and one veggie dish for entries. We also
selected roasted new potatoes as the starch dish.
Schedule: The Council approved the same schedule as last year since that was
agreeable with everyone. It follows: PDS Business, “walk abouts”, Action
Research presentations, Lunch, Keynote, and wrap up.
Perks: Carla Longo volunteered to do the book baggies again. Jenn and Robert are
still organizing the closest. They have set aside books for giveaways at each PDS
meeting. The remaining books are available for book bags.
Program: Jenn and Lelsie will put this together again.
Parking: When Deanna sends out parking passes, she will include a note
recommending that everyone tries to park on Grant Street. Deanna will request
the needed parking tags in the fall.
Action Research: CEURE will send out reminder letters. They need to ask
presenters to bring a CD with PowerPoints and handouts to include on the web.
Website Updates and final report for the semester- Jenn passed out a summary of the
website usage for the semester. In summary, the PowerPoint presentations are very
popular. We are trying to expand our visitors beyond those in the consortium. We asked
the NAPDS to link to our site.
AACTE award- Jenn and Leslie shared the different best practice awards that AACTE
bestows. The consortium might be able to apply for the Community College
collaboration one or the NCATE accreditation one. Jim Mule suggested that principal
mentors might be able to help track data on our students that come from NCCC. The
application is not available until June 20th to detail specific requirements. At our next
meeting, we will explore if we fit any of the categories.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, June 28th at 12:30 at Bacon Hall for Lunch. Deanna will arrange
for room and lunch.
Respectfully submitted by Jenn Golias