Choosing Which Form to File

Document Sample
Choosing Which Form to File Powered By Docstoc
					 IRS Tax Tips                                                                     January 31, 2013

Useful Links:                Issue Number: IRS Tax Tip 2013-04 Home                 Inside This Issue
1040 Central

Help For Hurricane Victims
                                         Choosing Which Form to File
                             IRS e-file makes it easy for taxpayers to choose which tax form to file.
News Essentials              Tax software automatically chooses the best form for your particular
                             situation. Most people e-file these days, but if you prefer taking pen to
What's Hot                   paper, the IRS has some tips to help you choose the right form.
News Releases
                             Taxpayers who choose to file a paper tax return should know that the
IRS - The Basics
                             IRS no longer mails paper tax packages. The quickest way to get forms
                             and instructions is by visiting the IRS website at You can also
IRS Guidance                 order forms and have them mailed to you by calling the IRS forms line
                             at 1-800-TAX-FORM (829-3676). You may also pick up tax forms
Media Contacts               from a local IRS office, and some libraries and post offices carry tax
Facts & Figures
                             Here are some tips that will help paper tax return filers choose the best
Problem Alerts               tax form for their situation.
Around The Nation
                             You can generally use the 1040EZ if:
e-News Subscriptions
                                   Your taxable income is below $100,000;
                                   Your filing status is single or married filing jointly;
                                   You are not claiming any dependents; and
The Newsroom Topics
Tax Tips 2012                If you can’t use Form 1040EZ, you may qualify to use the 1040A if:

Radio PSAs                         Your taxable income is below $100,000;
                                   You have capital gain distributions;
Fact Sheets                        You claim certain tax credits; and

Armed Forces                 You claim adjustments to income for IRA contributions and student
                             loan interest.
Disaster Relief
                             If you cannot use the 1040EZ or the 1040A, you’ll probably need to
Scams / Consumer Alerts      file using the 1040. The reasons you must use the 1040 include:
Tax Shelters                        Your taxable income is $100,000 or more;
                                    You claim itemized deductions;
                                    You are reporting self-employment income; and
IRS Resources                IRS Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax, provides helpful
                             information about which form is best for you.
Compliance & Enforcement

Contact My Local Office      Access to IRS forms and instructions or information about e-filing,
                             including IRS Free File, is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Filing Options               on Tax products often appear online well before they are
                             available on paper. You'll find downloadable tax products on
Forms & Pubs                 by clicking on the "Forms and Pubs" link on the Home page.

Frequently Asked Questions   Additional IRS Resources:
News                                Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
                                    IRS Forms & Publications
Taxpayer Advocate
                                    Publication 17, Your Federal Income Tax
Where to File
                             IRS YouTube Videos:

                                    Do Your Taxes for Free: Taxes Made Less Taxing - English
                                    IRS Tax Forms and Publications - English | Spanish | ASL

                             IRS Podcasts:
                                    Tax Forms and Publications - English | Spanish

                             Back to Top

                             Thank you for subscribing to IRS Tax Tips, an IRS e-mail service. For more
                             information on federal taxes please visit

Shared By:
Description: Choosing Which Form to File