Learning Guide for Nursing Care of the Intraoperative Client
1. Define the following:
2. Define the different types of surgery according to purpose.
3. What are some common diagnostic tests performed prior to surgery and why?
4. Who is responsible for obtaining the informed consent? What is the nurse’s role
in signing of the consent?
5. What are some important preoperative interventions for all surgical clients?
Address the following:
a. Preop orders
b. Teaching needs
c. Recovery needs post discharge
d. Routine or common orders. Determine rationale for the following:
1. Routine medications
2. Specific preop preps
3. NPO status
4. Preop medications
6. Discuss the preoperative evaluation and selection of anesthesia.
7. List the different types of anesthesia, advantages and disadvantages and
indications for use.
b. Regional Conscious Sedation
d. Local Anesthesia
8. Describe the role of the following surgical team members.
b. Surgical Assistant
c. Anesthesiologist or CRNA
d. Nursing roles
Scrub nurse or first assistant (FA)
9. Describe the role of the circulator for the following client considerations:
a. Status of OR
b. Identification of client
c. Physical assessment
d. Psychological assessment
e. Transfer to OR suite
h. Procedure start
i. During procedure
j. Procedure closing
k. Between cases
10. Identify five examples of data collected during the perioperative nurse’s physical
assessment of the client that indicate special considerations of the client’s needs
11. What is a surgical count? When is it done? Who does it?
12. Describe complications of anesthesia administration.
13. Describe malignant hypothermia and evaluation of risk for surgical client.
14. Develop and prioritize nursing diagnoses for the intraoperative client according to
the following needs:
c. Malignant Hyperthermia
e. Emergence Delirium
f. Intake and output
15. The physical environment of the surgical suite is designed primarily to promote:
Choose one answer.
a. Electrical safety
b. Medical and surgical asepsis
c. Comfort and safety of the client
d. Communication among the surgical team
16. Develop goals for the intraoperative client.
17. Discuss legal/ethical concerns in the OR setting.
18. Define Patient Controlled Analgesia and describe advantages and disadvantages
for the postoperative client.