LED Lights Advantages and Cons LED lighting is not a new technology; actually, it is with us since the 1960's. LED light bulbs were at first used as an alternative for incandescent indicators and displays in lab tools and after a while in Televisions, wrist watches, radios and hand calculators. LED prices have only recently has reduced enough to make them viable for non commercial and commercial markets. LED home lighting can have anything from outdoor to Christmas lights. With the present looming energy crisis in South Africa, and pressure forced on governments and businesses identical for more sustainable energy solutions, LED lights have a vibrant future in space lighting solutions. Major benefits of making use of LED lights First of all, LED lights are far more efficient than any oth- er lighting alternative commercially accessible at the mo- ment. LED bulbs have a 100000 hr lifespan, and will last for 11 years at continuous operation, or 22 years at 50% operation. Compare this to the approximate lifespan of five thousand hrs for an incandescent light bulb and 10000 hours for a fluorescent light. Many businesses fin- d the lifespan of LED light bulbs very appealing – imagine only have to change the signage on a business property once every eleven years. With incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, the real cost of the bulb should include the labor expense and time needed to replace them. LED lights virtually get rid of lighting maintenance costs. The second major advantage and key strength of using LED lighting over conventional lighting is the decreased power consumption. LED bulb is capable of converting 80% of the electrical energy used into light energy. The remaining 20% electrical energy is lost as heat energy. Incandescent light bulbs only convert twenty% of the electrical energy used into actual light energy, which means that a staggering 80% of electrical energy is lost as heat energy. When you compare the 80% efficiency of LED lights with the twenty% efficiency of incandescent lights, the optimal selection of light bulb is quite understood. Large disadvantages of using LED lighting The primary limitation is the present high price of LED light bulbs. Even though the price of LED lights in South Africa is slowly reducing, replacing a 100W incandescent light bulb with a LED substitute can cost about Rs 5000. The starting cost may seem daunting, but LED light bulbs pay for themselves over time since they can last for up to eleven yrs, and saves a lot of money in respect of electricity utilized. For businesses, using LED lights makes a whole lot of sense since the reduced maintenance costs a lot more than make up for the high starting cost. Major businesses are doing it Different blue chip companies and hotels in United States and UK currently use LED lighting solutions. LED lights are used from stair-nose lighting, light line, wall wash lights and signage illumination to color-changing till numbers and controls, architectural lights and freezer lighting. These businesses have identified LED as the preferred lighting solution for the future. With LED bulb start-up prices plummeting, more companies will follow all these business leaders and discover a painless lighting solution that will last them a decade, and save them money.
Pages to are hidden for
"LED Lights Advantages And Cons"Please download to view full document