AP Human Geography Name_________________
Thinking Geographically Date__________________
Latitude, Longitude and Time Period_________________
Directions: Use the information in your book (p. 18 ff.) and the map provided to answer the
1. Through what country and city does 0 degrees longitude run, and why does it run
through this country?
2. How many time zones are there and how many degrees of longitude are in each?
3. Where is the master reference time for all points on Earth and what is it called?
4. If you are heading eastward toward America and you hit the International Date
Line, how would you adjust your clock?
5. If you are heading westward toward Asia and you hit the International Date Line,
how would you adjust you clock?
6. Refer to the map on p. 19 to answer the following questions:
a. If it is 7:00 P.M. in London, what time will it be in Denver?
b. If it is 1:00 A.M. in London, what time will it be in Singapore?
c. If it is 12 noon in Moscow, what time will it be in Tokyo?
7. Why is the International Date Line not straight? (p. 20)
8. Refer to the world map provided and your text to answer the following questions:
a. A person is standing where it is exactly Greenwich Mean Time. That
person’s longitudinal position would be what?
b. A person’s position is given as 15 degrees north latitude and 180 degrees
longitude. We can conclude that this person would be
1) at the South Pole
2) standing on the equator
3) astride the International Date Line
4) on the prime meridian