MINUTES OF OFFHAM PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

Document Sample
MINUTES OF OFFHAM PARISH COUNCIL MEETING Powered By Docstoc
					                     Draft MINUTES OF OFFHAM PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
                            TUESDAY 2nd OCTOBER 2012 AT 7.30PM
                           OFFHAM VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE ROOM

Present:       Cllr D Stretton (Chair), Cllr D Frankling, Cllr P Nelson, Cllr B Oliver (arrived at
               8.50pm), Cllr W Pierce (arrived at 9pm)
               PCSO L Bullen and Sgt Brigden (8.00 – 8.20pm)
               Clerk Lynne Mackie
               4 members of public (left at 8.20pm)

 ITEM      MINUTES                                                                                   ACTION
    1.     APOLOGIES RECORDED, DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST MADE AND
           REGISTER OF INTERESTS:
           Apologies recorded from Cllr M Begbey, Cllr W Williams, Borough Councillor M
           Balfour and County Councillor S Hohler. No declarations of interest were made.
    2.     MINUTES ARISING FROM 4th SEPTEMBER 2012:
           The minutes arising from 4th September were agreed by all Councillors and
           signed as approved by Cllr Frankling.

    3.     PLANNING
           New Applications:

              TM/12/02624 – Ostlers, North Meadow – Internal conversion of the
               building to form a larger single dwelling, including the erection of a
               single storey extension, insertion of a dormer window, minor
               external alterations and the reconfiguration of the boundary with
               Offham Manor, which includes the demolition and repositioning of a
               boundary garden wall This runs alongside the Listed Building
               Application. In principle, there is no problem with the application, which
               would not be visible. The only concern would be about the internal wall – is
               it an ancient wall in the manor house? The Parish Council had NO
               OBJECTIONS provided the neighbours had no objections, and Listed
               Buildings approved the internal works.                                                Clerk
              TM/12/02625 – Ostlers, North Meadow – Listed Building
               Application As above.
              TM/09/3231/R16 – Blaise Farm Quarry – request for the approval
               of the Waste Planning Authority to open the facility on 26th
               December (Boxing Day) 2012 for the receipt of waste deliveries and
               the shredding of incoming material pursuant to condition 16 of the
               planning permission TM/09/3231 No response.
              TM/12/02854 – Spadework, Teston Road – Two wooden double
               sided advertising boards with changeable slats for advertising
               seasonal lines – Cllr Frankling has spoken to Spadework. They will                    Clerk
               remove the current signs and install these 2 new ones. The Parish Council
               had NO OBJECTIONS to this application.

           Approvals:

              TM/12/02505 – Teston Cottage, Teston Road – Douglas Fir tree to
               be felled and stump removed due to excessive shading, potential
               root damage to house and damage to lawn from pine cones and
               needles – APPROVED

           Refusals: Nothing to report




                                                                   Signed …………………………………..

Page 1 of 5                                                        Date    …………………………………..
                                             Draft Minutes of Offham Parish Council Meeting Contd

         Enforcements: Nothing to report

         VOSAs: Nothing to report

    4.   EXTERNAL REPORTS:
          Police:
         There has only been one crime report: on 11 September there was a burglary
         in Teston Road.
         PCSO Bullen held a surgery in Spadework, which was successful, and she
         hopes to make this a regular event.
         She will continue monitoring traffic using North Meadow.

             County Councillor: There was no report made.

             Borough Councillors: There was no report made.

    5.   ANY MATTERS RAISED BY MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC THAT ARE NOT
         ALREADY ON THE AGENDA:
          Speeding traffic
         It was reported that traffic starts through the village along Teston Road at
         4.45am and is causing a serious disturbance to residents. It is widely believed
         that the vehicles are from Kings Hill and are using the road as a “rat run”. The
         vehicles are travelling very fast and generating a lot of noise. The Parish
         Council met with Kent Highway Services (KHS) earlier in the year to discuss
         possible solutions. The only agreed option was for the Parish Council to pay for
         Speed Indication Devices (SIDs). KHS were to liaise with County Cllr Hohler to
         approve the scheme. The Clerk was asked to chase KHS for a response.               Clerk

         Sgt Brigden suggested the Parish Council contact KHS to see if they have any       Clerk
         Speed Indication Devices. Two tubes are put across the road to measure the
         number of vehicles and the average speed. This information would help to
         show the actual problem, rather than the perceived problem. Kings Hill has a
         fixed machine which records speed and volume of traffic.

         Sgt Brigden will arrange for officers to carry out speed checks in the village.

         Speedwatch no longer operates in the village. If Speedwatch could restart it
         would provide evidence to support the problems being reported.

         The Police recommend that if the Parish install a Speed Indication Device, to
         use one showing the speed limit (30mph) not the actual speed of the vehicle.

          Proposed Road Changes on Seven Mile Lane
         Concerns were raised about the proposed traffic lights:
                   - How will the phasing operate to enable traffic from Teston Road
                      to Seven Mile Lane? The Parish Council have already raised this.
                   - Will there be a “keep left” traffic island at the bottom of Teston
                      Road? No.
                   - The Parish Council has split views about the effect of the
                      proposed scheme. The amount of traffic on Teston Road may be
                      reduced, but there could be a jam at peak times. It may
                      encourage more to come through the village if it is easier to
                      cross at rush hour or it may encourage people to use the lanes.
                   - Will it affect Aldon Lane and Church Road? The Parish Council
                      are worried about this, but KHS say it will not affect them.



                                                                Signed …………………………………..

Page 2 of 5                                                     Date    …………………………………..
                                            Draft Minutes of Offham Parish Council Meeting Contd

                    -   Is a roundabout an option? No, KHS have decided on lights.
                    -   Can the speed limit be reduced instead? It is unlikely that KHS
                        would reduce the speed.
                    - KHS say the junction has capacity to deal with the traffic. The
                        Parish Council doubt there will be capacity at peak traffic times
                    - It was agreed that something has to be done, due to the
                        fatalities and serious accidents that have occurred, one such
                        accident happening only last week
                    - JPCTCG are involved in the plans and Cllr Trudy Dean is
                        expressing her objections to the proposals
         If residents have any concerns they can write to KHS about them.

          Motorbikes
         On Seven Mile Lane, between 7 and 8pm, motorbikes are using the road like a
         race track. The Clerk was asked to report this.




                                                                                            Clerk

    6.   MONTHLY TOPICS FOR DISCUSSION:
          Blaise Farm: A leaflet is being printed and will be distributed to all           All
           villagers.

             Tennis Court – Working Group and Resurfacing:

                -   The Parish Council AGREED to set up a Working Group to manage           Clerk
                    the contract to resurface the tennis courts, which are on Parish
                    owned land. The Parish Council will make all decisions regarding the
                    work and contract, but will take advice from the Working Group.
                -   The Council APPROVED the Terms of Reference for the Group.
                -   The members of the group are Cllrs Frankling, Oliver and Begbey
                    and Andrew Field. Cllr Frankling will Chair the Group.
                -   The tennis club has obtained three quotes. The Parish Council
                    AGREED that the approved contractor would be Charles Moon of
                    Four Seasons.
                -   The approved quote is for £16,500 + VAT. The Parish Council
                    APPROVED a budget of £16,500 + VAT for the re-surfacing.
                -   Cllr Stretton proposed that the Parish Council contribute £1,000
                    towards the cost of the works. This was seconded by Cllr Frankling
                    and approved.
                -   A copy of the bank statement for the tennis club was provided
                    showing that they have total funds of £18,546.14, of which £18,000
                    was available towards the resurfacing. The Parish Council need a
                    letter of confirmation from the Tennis Club that they will pay the
                    funds to the Parish Council for the balance of the work (£15,500).
                -   The VAT element of the contract will be paid by the Parish Council,
                    and then reclaimed.
                -   The Parish Council expressed disappointment that the tennis club
                    would not agree to moving the courts, allowing better access to
                    Cosgrave Field.



                                                                Signed …………………………………..

Page 3 of 5                                                     Date    …………………………………..
                                              Draft Minutes of Offham Parish Council Meeting Contd


             Village Communication: The Blaise Farm leaflet asks for email addresses
              to be added to the parish database.

             Definitive Map Statement and Public Rights of Way: This has been
              displayed on village notice boards, but no responses have been made to
              the Parish Council.

             DLCG Council Tax Base and Funding for Local Precepting: Details
              have been passed to Cllrs. The KALC response was supported.

             Medway Valley & North West Kent Countryside Partnerships: The
              Clerk was asked to pass details of this on to Cllr Nelson, who will contact       PN
              the Partnership concerning The Pond.

             Dog Bins: An 8yr year old boy who attends Offham Primary School has               Clerk
              contacted Cllr Nelson to ask for a dog bin to be put on the path he uses for
              school. This path starts near the entrance to Hodges Place. The Clerk will
              contact the dog warden about this. This alleyway is known to be littered
              with dog mess. There is also another dog bin located in the woods, which
              may be better moved to Pepingstraw Close.


         ONGOING PROJECTS/REPORTS:
    7.
             Teston Road Playing Field, play area repairs and maintenance: Cllr
              Williams has provided a report for the Cllrs. Cllr Frankling has mended the
              bench on the play area, but the legs are rotting and may need replacing in
              the next year or two. Cllrs Williams and Pierce are mending the pole on the
              Burma Frame.

             Maintenance Contracts: To be discussed at the next meeting.

             Website Cllr Oliver is not able to continue updating the website, so the          Clerk
              Clerk was asked to take over. Cllr Oliver will explain how to update the
              website, and the Clerk will email him a copy of the KCC training manual.

             Cosgrave Field: The Trustees of Cosgrave Field need to be changed in              Trustees
              order to update. The cricket club store equipment on Cosgrave Field, but
              may be able to make better use of the land.

             Kings Hill – Phase 3 – traffic management/calming The Clerk has                   Clerk
              prepared a letter to Liberty, asking for financial support to help with traffic
              problems in the village which will worsen as Kings Hill expands. This will be
              forwarded to Councillors for approval.

             Proposed three way traffic signals – Seven Mile Lane: This has
              already been discussed.

             JPCTCG: The Group is asking for £50 towards the cost of a permanent
              secretary, as agreed. This will be invoiced through MAP. The Senior
              Strategic Planning Manager from KHS told the group they were looking to
              improve the traffic flow along the A20 towards Maidstone. KHS want to
              encourage people to use local roads for shorter journeys and only use
              motorways for longer journeys.



                                                                 Signed …………………………………..

Page 4 of 5                                                      Date    …………………………………..
                                                   Draft Minutes of Offham Parish Council Meeting Contd


       8.  PARISH COUNCILLOR REPORTS:
           There were no reports.
       9.  MONTHLY CHECK LIST:
              MAP: There is nothing further to report.
              The Pond: There is nothing to report.
              Highways Traffic and Speedwatch: Cllrs were asked to notify the clerk              All
               about any problems in the village, such as potholes, so that these can be
               reported to KHS.
       10. UP AND COMING ANNUAL EVENTS:
            Steam Rally: The Clerk has received a number of enquiries about the rally.
              Although this is not a Parish Council event, there may need to be some
              assistance with parking in future if numbers get bigger. Cllr Stretton will
              approach the Lions for help. Spadework could also assist by offering
              parking, and could hold their farmers market on the same day. The
              Insurance Company has been notified about the rally. Cllr Stretton will             DS
              carry out a risk assessment of the Village Green.
            Remembrance Day Service 11th November: The Poppy Wreath has now                      DS
              arrived. Cllr Stretton will ask Ron Marchant if he will lay the wreath on
              behalf of the Village.
            KHS Parish Seminar 8th October: Cllr Stretton is attending on behalf of
              Offham Parish Council.
       11. CORRESPONDENCE AND MATTERS ARISING:
           Emails/Telephone Calls:
            Relevant information has been forwarded to Cllrs.

            General Correspondence:

            1.     Kent Police – poster, closure of buildings and the new Kent Policing Model.

 12.        FINANCIAL MATTERS:
             Financial Statement: This was approved and signed.
             Cheques for signature
            Cheque      Payee                        Description
            1097        RBL Poppy Appeal             Poppy Wreath                         17.00
            1098        Nick Coughlin Associates     See Saw Maintenance                150.00
            1099        Marchant Garden Services     Tree Stump removal                 470.00
            1100        L Mackie                     Salary & Expenses September        542.00
            1101        HMRC                         PAYE September                       27.00
            1102        FA Jenner                    Churchyard Gardening               200.00
            1103        D Stretton                   Chairman’s expenses                  13.00
                                                                                     £1,419.00
                                                     TOTAL
 13.        AGENDA ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING:
             Steam Rally
 14.        ANY OTHER BUSINESS:
            The Clerk was asked to invoice the Tennis Club and the Cricket Club for rent.         Clerk
            This is due March/April.

            The first Tuesday in January falls on a bank holiday. It was AGREED to move
            the meeting to the second Tuesday, which is 8th January 2013

The Meeting concluded at 10.10pm
Date of next meeting: Tuesday 6th November at 7.30pm




                                                                       Signed …………………………………..

Page 5 of 5                                                            Date    …………………………………..

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:2
posted:1/24/2013
language:Unknown
pages:5