French braised vegetables Recipes
Braised Leeks A La
1. 6 medium-sized leeks,
white part only
2. Chicken 1/4 Cup (16 tbs)
3. Bay leaves 2
4. Parsley 3 Tablespoon,
5. Salt 1/4 Teaspoon
6. Pepper 1
1. Cut each leek at the line of green; only the white is used. See Leeks
Nature, on how to prepare the green part to use in another way or in
2. Cut each leek in four lengthwise slices. Wash carefully under cold
running water and place neatly in a long microwave-safe dish.
3. Add the chicken consomme and the bay leaves. Cover. Microwave 6
minutes at HIGH. Drain well
4. To the well drained leeks add the parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Braised Peppers Recipe
1. Green peppers 4 To taste
2. Cooking oil/Margarine 3
3. Boiling water 1 Tablespoon
4. Sugar 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Salt 1/2 Teaspoon
1. Wash the peppers, remove stems, remove seeds and fibers. Cut in
2. Heat the oil or margarine in a heavy frying pan. Saute the peppers,
stirring until they begin to wilt.
3. Add the water, sugar and salt. Cover the pan and cook 5 to 10 minutes,
stirring several times.
French Braised Celery
1. Celery - 2 cups, cut in 1
2. Bouillon1/2 Cup (16 tbs)
3. Salt 1 Teaspoon
4. Pepper 1/4 Teaspoon
5. Parsley sprigs 4
6. Onion slice 4
7. Bacon strip 2 , diced
8. Buttered bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 375°F.
2) Take a casserole and place in it celery, onion, bouillon and parsley.
3) Sprinkle with pepper, salt and bacon.
4) Cover and bake for about 30 minutes.
5) Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
6) Bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until crumbs turn brown in
7) Serve French-Braised Celery hot.
Braised Red Cabbage Recipe
1. Red cabbage 1 Large, halved
2. Unsalted butter 2 Tablespoon
3. Cherries 1 Cup (16 tbs), dried
4. Red wine vinegar 1/4 Cup (16
5. Apple Juice 1/4 Cup (16 tbs)
6. Red currant jelly 1/4 Cup (16
7. Sugar 1 Tablespoon
8. Salt 1 To taste
9. Black pepper 1 To taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Slice red cabbage thinly.
3. In a large heavy ovenproof pot, melt butter over medium heat.
4. Stir in the cherries and cook for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
5. Add cabbage, vinegar, apple juice, red currant jelly, sugar, salt, and
6. Reduce the heat to low.
7. Cook for 5 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt; stir occasionally.
8. Cover the pot.
9. Keep the pot in the oven and braise for 1 hour.
10. Serve hot.
French Turnip Soup Recipe
1. 3/4 pound small white
2. Potatoes 1/2 pound
3. Leek 1
4. Onion 1
5. Butter 4 Tablespoon
6. Flour 4 Tablespoon
7. Vegetable stock 8 Cup (16 tbs)
8. Black pepper salt 1 To taste
9. Egg yolks 2 Large
10. Heavy cream 3 Tablespoon
11. Bread croutons
1. Remove the skin of turnip and dice them properly. Rinse them by running
under the cold water.
2. Get rid of the roots and coarsely halve the outer leaves from the leek, and
rinse them by running thoroughly under the cold water and get rid of all traces
of the dirt.
3. Chop leeks coarsely and coarsely chop the onions too after peeling.
4. Take a large pan and soften the butter in it and add the vegetables.
5. Put the lid over the pan and allow the vegetables to cook for about 10
minutes at low heat without allowing them to brown.
6. Stir in the remaining flour and cook for few more time.
7. Add the stock gradually and season it with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. Cook the soup over low heat for about half an hour until the vegetables
are finely done.
9. Allow the soup to cool a little and puree it in a blender or food mill or rub
it through the fine sieve.
10. Reheat the soup in a pan.
11. Whisk the egg yolk and cream in a small bowl and add little hot soup and
stir it back to the soup.
12. Reheat the soup over low heat and boil it for some time.
13. Adjust the seasoning as per the taste.
14. Serve the soup immediately with a bowl of croutons.
Braised Vegetable Casserole
This casserole is based on a French
recipe which cooks the vegetables to
perfection by adding them one by one,
according to their required Cooking time.
The result is a tasty melange of tastes
and textures. Use fresh herbs in this
recipe, such as a mixture of tarragon,
parsley and thyme.
1. 1 oz (25 g) dried mushrooms (optional)
2. 1 medium onion
3. 2 - 3 cloves garlic
4. 15 small pickling onions
5. 3 large carrots or 12 baby carrots
6. 3-4 parsnips
7. 6 oz (175 g) fresh mushrooms
8. 1/2 cauliflower or 4 baby cauliflowers
9. 8 brussels sprouts
10. 1 celeriac root
11. 8 oz (225 g) green beans
12. 3 oz (75 g) fresh or frozen peas
13. 1 1/2 oz (40 g) butter
14. 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
15. 1 bay leaf
16. Salt and freshly ground black pepper
17. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
18. 1 small glass dry white wine
1. If using the optional dried mushrooms, cover them with boiling water and
allow them to soak for 30 minutes before using. Reserving the soaking water,
strain and set aside.
2. To prepare the vegetables, peel and thinly slice the medium onion and
garlic. Peel the small pickling onions and trim the ends. Peel the baby carrots.
Peel, quarter and core the parsnips and cut them into 1 in (25 mm) lengths.
3. Wipe the mushrooms clean and slice them in half. Break the cauliflower
into small florets, and trim the brussels sprouts and cut them in half. Peel and
slice the celeriac root into 2 in (50 mm) pieces that are about 1/2 in (15 mm)
thick. Top and tail the beans, and shell or thaw the peas.
4. Melt 1 oz (25 g) of the butter in a large casserole dish with 1 tablespoon
of the olive oil. Add the sliced medium onion, cover and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
Add the small onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf,
a pinch of salt and a pinch of the fresh herbs, and cook for 3 minutes.
5. Add the celeriac, parsnips, another pinch of salt and of herbs, and cook
for 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets, brussels sprouts, another pinch of salt
and of herbs, and cook for 6-10 minutes, until slightly tender but crisp.
6. Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter and olive oil in a saucepan then add
the fresh mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms over a medium-high heat for 3
minutes until the juices are released, then add the optional dried mushrooms
and reserved juices, and the wine.
7. Cover the pan and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes before adding to the
8. Add the green beans and peas to the casserole and cook for a final 3
minutes. Remove the bay leaf, season with salt and black pepper to taste and
add the remaining herbs. Serve immediately.
French Braised Vegetables
For 6 people:
1. 2 lbs (1 kg) of riped
2. 3 green or red peppers
3. 6 small zucchini
4. 2 eggplants
5. 3 onions
6. 3 cloves garlic
7. Olive oil
8. 1 leaf bay leaf
9. 1 sprig rosemary
10. 1 sprig basil
11. 1 sprig thyme
12. A pinch of caster sugar
14. Black pepper mill
A large cast iron casserole, heavy-bottomed
1. Wash the peppers under cold water, cut in half, remove the seeds and then
remove the hard parts and whites. Then details each pepper into thin strips.
2. Peel the eggplant by removing a strip of skin on both. Then detail each slice
into small cubes. Book.
3. Remove the stems of zucchini, scratch (without peel) their skin and also
detail them into small cubes. Book.
4. Peel and mince the onions. Book.
5. Plunge the tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 20 seconds then rinse
under cold water and peel.
6. Cut the tomatoes in half, remove the seeds and then detail their flesh into
small dice. Book.
7. Wash the basil, then chop the mop. Book.
8. Peel the garlic cloves and mince. Book.
9. In a large cast iron casserole with olive oil make sautéfor a few minutes the
eggplant and zucchini, stirring constantly.
10. Once they are golden, remove the eggplant and zucchini from the pan and
set aside on a plate.
11. Put in their place in the hot pan the chopped onions, pepper strips and
minced garlic cloves, mix well and cook the mixture for 5 minutes over
12. Then add the chopped tomatoes, stir and cook for 10 minutes, still over
medium heat. Mix well regularly.
13. Add the eggplant and zucchini before you removed the pan. Add salt and
pepper, add a pinch of sugar and herbs (bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and
basil). Mix well.
14. Leave to simmer and stew over low heat uncovered for about 1 hour. Stir
15. When cooked, adjust the seasoning if necessary by adding salt and pepper