Docstoc

0-3 subcommittee - Multnomah County

Document Sample
0-3 subcommittee - Multnomah County Powered By Docstoc
					0-3 subcommittee

Marisa Moon (Children’s Relief Nursery), Amy Crossman (DHS), Diane Ruminski
(Multnomah County Health Department), Jerry Burns (DHS), Linda Arata (VoA –
Home Free), Kelli Cunningham (NARA), Kenna Fisher (attorney), Elizabeth Sherman
(VoA), Julie Houston (Impact Northwest), Linda Ellerby (New Hope Community
Services), Eileen Hollins (BPI), Lynn Travis (attorney)

1. Review of Child Welfare Council minutes

      Diana Stuart to check on the status of HSSCO, are there issues they are
lobbying on that we may be interested in?

      Diana Stuart will check to see if the Ellerbys can present on New Hope’s
services at the Child Welfare Council.


2. Goals for this year? The remainder of the meeting continued the discussion of
what goals the committee will take on this year.

Develop a common understanding throughout the system (juvenile court, child
welfare, county and community providers) about what a safe or unsafe child is.
How the safety model works. Lynn Travis

Continue discussion about gaps in prevention and child welfare system. Hear “what
is out there.” Marisa Moon

Look at how different systems interact with each other so we can make
recommendations to reduce redundancy. Diane Ruminski

Focus on differential response, where do those referrals happen? How does ISRS
workers fit in? Diana Stuart

Jerry Burns offered some information about DHS’s plans for getting more
information about how individual units are doing business:

      He has given supervisors data about case planning, removals and asked them
      to consider why the data is the way it is? Give the supervisors a chance to set
      priorities for reform.

      Could pull data about 0-3 and ask if that tells supervisors anything?

      Stuart – what are the barriers to keeping babies at home? How does DHS
      access prevention services?
       Jerry Burns: DHS will be assigning ISRS workers to individual branches,
       supervisor will be required to report on referrals.

       Diana Stuart – what are questions for judges to be asking at prelims. Agree
       that as judges start asking, use will increase. Jerry to email questions to
       Diana. Lynn to distribute Court Catalyzing Change bench card to group.

Elizabeth Sherman – how can referrals happen community to community?
Judge Stuart to bring copies of the bench card to the next meeting.

Linda Arata – creating ways to be supportive of women in DV, on steering
committee for Safe Havens

Kelly Cunningham – NARA is present to give cultural perspective. She wants to be
able to continue to do that. Make sure that cultural considerations continue to be
discussed.

Diana Stuart to bring subcommittee’s recommendation for culturally
informed training to CWC executive counsel.

Diana Stuart: Can we have training for lawyers and judges about cultural
considerations that might give rise to misunderstanding? Kelly – NARA is doing
training on communication styles.

Kenna Fischer - Support Carolyn Graf’s proposal about Family Action Meetings.
Group agreed to officially support Carolyn’s pilot.

Julie Houston - Continue to be change agent. She has noticed that the conversations
that occur around our committee’s table are changing conversations held elsewhere.

Elizabeth Sherman - Keep on tracking what is happening to kids in care. What will
be provided for families who cannot safely care for their children.

Linda Ellerby - How to better connect services in community and volunteers to at
risk families.

Elaine Hollins - Focus on relatives, how is certification happening?

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:1
posted:1/21/2013
language:Latin
pages:2