Extreme Sports (also called action sports and adventure sports) is a term used for some activities
that have a high level of inherent danger. These activities often involve speed, height, high level of
physical effort, highly specialized gear or spectacular stunts
1. What extreme sports do you know?
2. Do you do any extreme sports?
3. Would you like to do any?
A. Write the correct name under each activity and say what they are doing? If you are not sure ask, e.g.
“What is he doing? What are they doing?
paragliding skydiving scuba diving BMX racing hang-gliding ATV
kitesurfing mountain bikingl bungee-jumping white-water rafting rock climbing FMX
1. 2. 3. 4. .
___________ _____________ ___________ ________________
5.. 6.. 7. 8.
_______________ ________________ _________ _________________
9. . 10. 11. 12.
_____________________ _________________ ______________ _________________
B. Explain what is each sport and how you do it. Read the information below if you need help with
1. Which of the sports listed would you most like to try?
2. Which ones would you not like to try?
Tell me about the last time you did an extreme sport activity.
1. bungee-jumping 2. paragliding 3.BMX (bicycle motocross) 4. hang-gliding .
5. scuba diving 6.. FMX freestyle motocross) 7. skydiving 8. . white-water rafting
9. . kitesurfing 10. . rock climbing 11. ATV (all-terrain vehicle) 12. mountain biking
1. Bungee jumping is high-risk sport. The person jumps from a tall structure like a bridge or a
pole while connected to a large elastic cord.
2. Paragliding - is a flying sport where the pilot sits in a harness which hangs below a fabric
wing that looks like a parachute
3. BMX (Bicyle Motocross) is a bicycle race over a rough cross-country course, usually consisting
of jumps, obstacles, and turns.
4. Hang-gliding is an air sport in which a pilot flies an aircraft called a hang glider. The pilot
wears a harness hangs under a wing by flexible straps
5. Scuba Diving is an underwater sport where the person uses breathing equipment and swims
under the water.
6. FMX racing (free motorcross) is a form of bicycle racing on off-road tracks with inline start
and expressive obstacles. The bikers jump in the air and perform stunts to impress judges.
7. Skydiving - a person jumps from somewhere so high that they can open a parachute and land
8. White-water rafting – is a water sport that requires you to paddle an inflatable rubber boat
on a fast moving river.
9. Kitesuring – is a water sport that uses the wind to pull a rider through the water on a small
10. Rock Climbing - - is he sport of climbing rock faces, especially. with the aid of ropes and
11. Mountain Biking – is the sport of riding bicycles off-road, often over rough terrain
12. ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle)- is a vehicle with treads, wheels, or both, designed to traverse
varied, uneven terrain