Name:___________________________________ Date:____________________ Entry:_____
Sun, Earth, and Moon Study Guide
Use the words in the word bank to fill in the blanks in each sentence.
1. The phases when the Sun, the Earth and the Moon are arranged at right angles
____ _________________ and ____ __________________.
2. It takes the Moon about a ___________ to go through its phases.
3. The different appearances of the Moon throughout the month are called its _____________.
4. When one heavenly body is blocked or darkened by another is called a (an) _________________.
5. The dark, inside part of an eclipse shadow is called the __________________.
6. The lighter, outside part of an eclipse shadow is called the _______________.
7. Because the _________ is locked in place by Earth’s gravity, we always see the same side.
8. The Moon ____________ and _______________ in the same amount of time.
9. When the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun, it is said to be a ______ ___________.
10. A lunar eclipse can only occur during which moon phase? ___________________
11. A Moon that has only a slight shadow on the left side of the Moon is in what phase?
12. A Moon that shows a slim sliver of light on the right side is in what phase?_________ _________
13. ________ means the Moon seems to be growing in the sky.
14. ________ means the Moon is seems to be getting smaller in the sky.
15. A __________ eclipse is when the Sun is blocked out by the Moon as seen from the Earth.
16. A __________ eclipse is when the Moon goes into the Earth’s shadow.
17. A ___________ tide is characterized by very high highs and very low lows.
18. A ____________ tide is characterized by a limited tidal range.
19. We don’t see a lunar eclipse every month because the Moon’s orbit is ____________.
20. Any given location on the Earth’s surface will go through ______ sets of high tides and low tides
21. A Moon that has only a slight shadow on the right side of the Moon is in what phase?
22. A Moon that shows a slim sliver of light on the left side is in what phase?_________ _________
Eclipse Waning Gibbous Moon New Moon Waning 3rd quarter
Rotates Waning Crescent Neap Solar Spring Waxing
1st quarter Waxing Gibbous Phases Lunar Revolves Month
Tilted Waxing Crescent Full Penumbra Two Umbra
23. Draw a picture of a solar eclipse and a lunar eclipse. Be sure to label sun, moon, and earth.
24. What season is it in the Southern Hemisphere?
25. How did you determine the season for #24?
29. Name the phases of the moon seen from each
letter: A. B.
30. What kind of tide will occur when the moon is at
A or D position?
31. What kind of tide will occur when the moon is at
C or F position?
32. Starting with #1 as a new moon, fill in the picture to
the left showing the correct order of the moon phases.
Dark areas should represent shadows, white areas
33. After finishing the pictures, list the moon phases in
order beginning with the “new Moon”.
Other Things to Know:
1. Earth’s Seasons
2. Moon Phases, Eclipses, and Tides- names and pictures related to moon phases, which phases
cause which tides, compare/contrast solar and lunar eclipses, spring and neap tides, cycles;
vocabulary. Effects of Moon’s movement around Earth.