School of Horticulture, Hairdressing and Applied Therapies
NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy
Qs √ or X Comments Qs √ or X Comments
Unit B6 – Carry out 3. 20.
waxing services 4. 21.
Workbook 6. 23.
Name: 10. 27.
Group: 12. 29.
Date of completion: 14. 31.
Tutor signature: 16. 33.
1. Describe how to prepare yourself for carrying out waxing treatments
2. Describe how to set up the working area for waxing treatments
3. Describe how to check equipment for waxing treatments and how to safely
positions equipment and materials for waxing treatments
4. Explain why it is important to explain to the client possible sensitivity during
5. Explain why it is important to maintain client’s modesty and privacy during a
6. Describe how to conduct a test patch and skin sensitivity test and why is it
7. Describe how to prepare the client for treatment
8. Describe how to conduct visual examinations of the skin and hair growth in
the area to be treated
9. Explain how to prepare the area for treatment including the use of pre-wax
products giving reasons of the function and purpose of this product
10. Describe the types of equipment and products used for waxing
11. Describe the ingredients and composition of the following waxing products
Waxing products Ingredients
12. Describe the types of products suitable for soothing skin irritation
13. Explain reasons why talc-free powders should be used
14. The following diagrams show the different areas which can be treated by waxing.
Fill in the diagrams to show the pattern of strips for warm waxing treatments.
LEG WAX APPLICATION
Steps-by-step leg waxing
15. Describe the various techniques associated with and working temperatures for hot
and warm wax
Types of wax Working Technique
16. Describe how to apply and remove waxing products in relation to the direction of
17. Describe the expected skin reaction to waxing
18. Describe how you and the client should support the skin during the waxing process
19. Complete the table below on the correct commercial timings for the following waxing
Waxing treatments Commercial timings
Full leg wax
Half leg wax
Upper lip wax
20. What precautions should be taken to remove hair around conditions which restrict
21. Describe the activities to avoid after waxing treatments and why these are important
22. State the recommended intervals between waxing treatments
23. Describe what products for home care use that will benefit the client and those to
Area waxed Homecare products Avoidance
Lip and chin
24. List the aftercare advice that you should give the client
25. Factors that influence hair growth – complete the mind map showing factors that
can influence hair growth
26. Contra-actions to a waxing treatment
Complete the table below on contra-actions to a waxing treatment. State the
cause of each contra-action and the action you would take if it occurred on a
client you were treating.
Contra-action What is the cause? Action to take
Waxing Trouble shooters !
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING IN THE SPACE PROVIDED
27. Why are diabetic clients contra-indicated to treatment? Are there any occasions
when diabetic clients can have a waxing treatment?
28. Why does an area often appear red and spotty after a wax treatment?
29. Which one of the following could restrict an underarm waxing treatment?
b) overlong hair growth
c) a mole
d) swollen lymph glands
30. Why does warm wax need to be used at the correct temperature?
31. How would you describe a terminal hair and where would you expect this type of
32. How would you describe a vellus hair and where would you expect this type of
33. Why does a Histamine reaction occur after a wax treatment and describe the