BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH NAME
POSITION TITLE Director of Laboratory for Neurobiology of Action Programming, Institute of the Human Brain of Russian Academy of Sciences
Kropotov Juri D.
EDUCATION/TRAINING: INSTITUTION AND LOCATION Leningrad Physico-mathematical High School (Lyceum) for highly gifted children State University of Leningrad, Department of physics, Theoretical Physics and Quantum Mechanics Institute for Experimental Medicine of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR. Institute for Experimental Medicine of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR
FIELD OF STUDY mathematics and physics physics
Master of Physics
Candidate of Biological Sciences Doctor of Biological Sciences
human neurophysiology Psychophysiology and biological cybernetics
RESEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
Director of laboratory for neurobiology of action programming. Institute of the Human Brain of The Russian Academy of Sciences (St.-Petersburg). 12a, Pavlov street., St.Petersburg, 197376. Professor, Institute of Psychology, Norwegian University for Science and Technology, Trondhem, 7491, NTNU, Dragvall, Norway
1985-1990 Head of laboratory of Neuroinformatics. Institute for Experimental Medicine of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR. Department of human neurophysiology.12, Pavlov st., Leningrad 197022, USSR. Senior research fellow of the same Institute. Junior research fellow of the same Institute
The scientific experience concerns: neurophysiological mechanisms of EEG-based biofeedback; neuronal basis of perception, cognition, learning and attention; event-related potentials (ERPs) and event-related desynchronization (ERDs) in executive functions of the human brain; intracranial ERPs and multi-unit activity recordings in patients with schizophrenia, Parkinson's disease, obsessive-compulsive disorder;
metabolic processes in the human brain (pO2, local blood flow); MMN, N2, P2 and P3 electrical components in cortical and subcortical structures of the human brain; impulse activity of neurons of the human brain related to sensory, motor and cognitive functions; mathematical and computer simulation of brain functions; realistic neural network simulation in learning and image recognition; large-scale burst-like behavior in neural nets; computer model of the canonical cortical module; fuzzy logic based expert systems; neurophysiological basis of attentional disorders; objective diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD); engagement and disengagement operations in sensory and motor modalities; neurophysiology of strio-pallido-thalamic system; neurophysiology of EEG-based biofeedback theories of the brain. 1984-1990 - Director of the Program of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR “Living Nature” 1986-1997 - Member of the Board of Directors of International Organization of Psychophysiology (IOP) 1988 - 1998 - Associate Editor of Journal of Human Physiology, Moscow, Russia 1989-1994 - Director of the Project "Neuroinformatics" of the Russian Acad. of Sciences 1996-present - Member of the Board of Directors of Neuroinformatics Society of Russia 1997-present - Teaching professor in cognitive neurosciences, St. Petersburg State University, Department of Biology. 1996-present, Member of the Board of Directors of POTENTIAL LIMITED. (Russian Company for producing EEG/ERP equipment) 1998-present - President of Non-profit Organization for diagnosis and treatment of ADHD, St.-Petersburg, Russia 2001-present – President of European Chapter of International Society for Neuronal Regulation. 2002 – present – Associate Editor of Journal of Neurotherapy. Honors: The Eminent Scholar of Russia, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002 Diploma of the USSR Academy of Sciences for the Highest Achievement (Discovery) in Science, 1990. USSR State Prize Winner in Science, the USSR State Highest Award for fundamental research , 1985. Diploma of the USSR Exhibition of Science achievements, 1976
Grants (the last 8 years):
1. "Realistic neural networks", Commission of European Economical Society, - contract ACTCS ESPRIT P9282, East-West initiative, 1994-1996, Heads Prigozin I.(Belgium) and Kropotov J.D.
2. "Computing on the edge of chaos", National Science Foundation (USA), Heads Kugler P.(USA) and Kropotov J.D., Radford University, BRAIN Center, USA , 1993 3. "Attention in man: electrical activity in cortical and subcortical brain structures", International Science Foundation (Soros Foundation) NSZ000, 1994, Head Kropotov J.D. 4. "Attention in man: electrical activity in cortical and subcortical brain structures", Soros Foundation, NSZ300, 1995, Head Kropotov J.D. 5."Neuroinformatics", Academy of Sciences of Austria, GZ.45.300/1-IV/6a/94, Collaboration with Institute of Psychology of Vienna University, Heads Etlinger S.C.(Austria) and Kropotov J.D., 1994-1997. 6. "ERPs Components of cognitive suppression: neurophysiological mechanisms and diagnostic perspectives”, Russian Foundation of Fundamental Research, 96-04-50560, Head Kropotov J.D., 1996-1999. 7. " Evoked potentials of the human brain for diagnosis of attentional disorders”, 99-0608112a, Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation, Head Kropotov J.D. 1997-1999. 8. “Neurophysiological mechanisms of mismatch negativity”, Russian Foundation of Fundamental Research, 99-04-49758, Head Kropotov J.D. 1998-2000. 9. “Event related correlation in the human brain”, Oasi Institute for Research on Mental Retardation and Brain Aging, Troina, Joint collaboration. Heads J.Ayala (Italy) and J.D.Kropotov, Italy, 1996-1998 10. “Intracranial recording of mismatch negativity”, Academy of Finland, Collaboration with Cognitive Brain Research Unit, Department of Psychology, University of Helsinki, Heads Risto Näätänen (Finland) and Juri Kropotov. 1995-2000 11. “Joint Research-teaching Center on Psychophysiology”, N 326.13, Federal Program “INTEGRATION”, Scientific Director J.D.Kropotov, 1997-present 12. “Event-related desynchronization as a parameter for bio-feedback training of attention” 01-06-00160a, Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation, Head Kropotov J.D. 20012003.
Conference contribution (last 5 years, only international meetings) : Chairman:
1. XXVII International Congress of Psychology, Stockholm, Sweden, 2000 2. International Symposium on Filtration in the Visual System, St. Petersburg, 1999 3. IX International Congress of Psychophysiology, Taormina, Italy, 1998 4. XXXIII International Congress of IUPS, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1997. 5. International symposium “Physiom”, Znamenka, Russia, 1997
1.10th Annual conference of International Society for Neuronal Regulation, Huston, Texas, USA, 2003 2. 9th Annual Conference of Society for Neuronal Regulation, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. 2002. 3. 6th Annual Meeting of Biofeedback Foundation of Europe, Amsterdam, 2002 4. 8th Annual Conference of Society for Neuronal Regulation, Monterey, USA, 2001. 5. 5th Annual meeting of Biofeedback Foundation of Europe, Prien, Germany, 2001. 6. Neurophysiological basis of neurotherapy: theory and practice, Course of lectures, Hamar, Norway, 2001 7. Neuofeedback in treatment attentional disorders. Workshop, Munich, Germany, 2001 8. Realistic Neuronal Networks: theory and applications. Workshop, Norfolk, 2000
9. SYNTOPIA “New Visions for the Neurosciences and Medical Psychology”, Munich, Germany, 2000 10. International Congress “Time and Timing in biological systems”, Closter Seaon, Germany, 1999 11. Models of human behavior. Symposium, Los Alamos, USA, 1998 12. Forum of European Neurosciences, Berlin, Germany, 1998 13. Symposium “Time and Timing”, Streconchino, Poland, 1998 14. X International Conference on ADHD, New York, USA, 1998 15. VIII International Congress of Psychophysiology, Tampere, Finland, 1996 16. IV Congress of Italian Society of Psychophysiology, Troina, Italy, 1995
Supervisor of Ph.D. dissertations:
1. S.C. Etlinger, “Quo Vadities Infraslow Physiological Processes and Neuronal Impulse Activity in Subcortical Structures of the Human Brain,” Disertation zur Erlangung des Doktorgrades an der Grund- und Integrativwissenschaftlichen Fakultaet der Universitaet Wien (an interdisciplinary study undertaken at the Institute of Experimental Medicine of Academy of Medical Sciences, Leningrad, USSR, January, 1987, Vienna, Austria. 2. V.A.Ponomarev, “ Neuronal reactions to stimuli of different physical and semantic characteristic in the human brain”, Candidate dissertation. Human and animal physiology 03.00.13. 1987, Leningrad. 3. A.V.Sevostainov, “Intracranial Evoked Potentials and neuronal responses in odd-ball paradigm”, Candidate dissertation. Human and animal physiology - 03.00.13. 1996, St.Petersburg. 4. O.A.Korzyukov, “Dynamics of spatial correlations of evoked potentials and multi-unit impulse activity in cognitive tasks”, Candidate dissertation. Human and animal physiology 03.00.13. 1996, St.-Petersburg. 5. V.A.Grin-Yazenko, “EEG bio-feedback in treatment of ADHD: ERPs correlates of changes in attentional networks”, Candidate dissertation. Normal physiology, 2000, St.Petersburg. 6. E.A. Yakovenko, “Event-related potentials and event-related desynchronization in children with attention disorders”, Candidate dissertation. Human and animal physiology 03.00.13. 2001, St.-Petersburg 7. I. Z. Kremen “Canonical Cortical Module: simulation of visual information processing” Candidate Dissertation, 2002, St. Petersburg 8. L.S. Chutko “Electrohysiological and Neurological assessment and treatment of subtypes of ADHD children”. Doctor Dissertation, 2002, St. Petersburg
Gymnastics (Master of Sports of the USSR), swimming
Publications of Juri D. Kropotov.
152 scientific publications, including 4 books. List of the most important publications during the last 10 years: 1. Kropotov, J.D. and Ponomarev, V.A. (1993) Neurophysiology of goal directed behavior in man. Nauka, St.-Petersburg, 193 p. (book in Russian). 2. Kropotov, J.D., Etlinger, S.C., Ponomarev, V.A. and Sevastyanov, A.V. (1992) Eventrelated neuronal responses in the human strio-pallido-thalamic system. 1. Sensory and motor functions. Electroenceph. clin. Neurophysiol., 84, 373-385. 3. Kropotov, J.D., Etlinger, S.C., Ponomarev, V.A., Trofimova L.G. and Kuznetsov, M.A. (1992). Event-related neuronal responses in the human strio-pallido-thalamic system. 2. Cognitive functions. Electroenceph. clin. Neurophysiol., 84, 386-393. 4. Kropotov, J.D., Näätänen, R., Sevostianov, A.V., Alho, K., Reinikainen, K., Kropotova, O.V. Mismatch negativity to auditory stimulus change recorded directly from the human temporal cortex. Psychophysiology, 1995, 32, 418-422. 5. Kropotov, J.D., Crawford, H.L., Polyakov, Yu.I. Somatosensory event-related potential reduction to painful stimuli during hypnotic analgesia: anterior cingulate cortex and anterior temporal cortex intracranial recordings in obsessive-compulsives. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 1997, 27: 1-8 6. Kropotov, J.D., Etlinger S.C., Ponomarev, V.A. Human multiunit activity related to attention and preparatory set. Psychophysiology, 1997, 34: 495-500 7. Kropotov J.D. Striatum as selector of actions. Russian Physiological Journal, 1997, 83, N4, 45-51 8. Kropotova O.V., Ponomaarev V.A., Novikova I.A., Nechaev V.B., Kropotov J.D. 1998 Components of movement suppression in evoked potentials of the adolescent brain. Human Physiology., 24 (2): 152-160 9. Kropotov J.D., Kremen, I.Z., Ponomarev V.A. 1998. Realistic neural network for modelling visual system. Journal of Optical Technology, 65(9): 716-722. 10. Kropotov J.D., Kropotova O.V., Ponomarev V.A., Polyakov Yu.I., Nechaev V.B. 1999 Neurophysiological mechanisms of action selection and its impairment in ADHD. Human Physiology, 25(1):143-152. 11. Kropotov J.D and Etlinger S.C. 1999, Selection of actions in the basal gangliathalamocortical circuits: Review and Model, International Journal of Psychophysiology 31(3):197-217.
12. Korzyukov, O., Alho, K., Kujala, A., Gumenyuk, V., Ilmoniemy, R.J., Virtanen, J., Kropotov J., Näätänen, R. 1999, Electromagnetic responses of the human auditory
cortex generated by sensory-memory based processing of tone frequency changes. Neuroscience Letters, 169-172 13. Kropotov, J.D., Kremen, I.Z. 1999, Canonical cortical module as a spatial-frequency filter, J. Opt. Technol., 66(9), 832-835. 14. Kropotov, J.D., Ponomarev, V.A., Ferri, R. 1999, Event-related correlation in response to visual stimulation, Human Physiology, 25(3) 45-53. 15. Etlinger, S.C., Kropotov J.D. (1999) Bewusstein, Aufmerksamkeit und Selection eines Handlungsprograms In: T.Slunecko, O.Vitouch, C. Korunka, H.Bauer, B. Flatschacher (Eds). Psychologie des Bewusstseins, Bewusstsein der Psychologie, Wien, WUV, 3555. 16. Norseen, J.D., Kropotov, J.D., and Kremen, I.Z. Bio-fusion for intelligent systems control. - Sensor Fusion: Architectures, Algorithms, and Applications, Ed. Belur V. Dasarathy, Proceedings of the SPIE. - 1999. - Vol.3719.- PP.410-417. 17. Kropotov J.D., Kropotova O.V., Ponomarev V.A., Polyakov Yu.I., Nechaev V.B. Nurophysiological mechanisms of action selection and their impairment in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Human Physiology, 1999, 25(1):115-124 18. Ponomarev V.A., Kropotova O.V., Kropotov J.D., Polyakov Yu.I. EEG synchronization and desynchronization in adolescents in response to NOGO stimuli. Report 1. Effect of stimulus modality. Human Physiology, 1999, 25(6): 15-22. 19. Kropotov, J.D., Alho, K., Näätänen, R., Ponomarev, V.A., Kropotova, O.V., Anichkov, A.D., Nechaev, V.B. 2000, Human auditory-cortex mechanisms of preattentive sound discrimination. Neuroscience Letters, 87-90 20. Ponomarev V.A., Kropotova O.V., Kropotov J.D., Polyakov Yu.I. EEG synchronization and desynchronization in adolescents in response to NOGO stimuli. Report 2. Effect of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Human Physiology, 2000, 26(3): 15-22. Kropotov J.D., Ponomarev V.A., Grin-Yatsenko VA. EEG-based biofeedback for treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children. Human Physiology, 2001, 27(4), 126-135.
22. Grin-Yatsenko VA, Kropotov J.D., Ponomarev VA, Chutko LS, Yakovenko EA. Effect of SMR and beta EEG-based biofeedback on parameters of attention. Human Physiology, 2001, 27(3): 5-13. 23. Kropotov J.D., Chutko L.S., Yakovenko E.A., Grin-Yatsenko V.A. Application of transcranial micro-polarization for treatment of ADHD children. Journal of neurology and psychiatry after S.S.Korsakov., 2002, N.5, 26-28 Chutko L.S.,Kropotov J.D., Yakovenko E.A., Koroleva N.Yu. Application of Neuromultivit for treatment of ADHD children. Journal of neurology and psychiatry after S.S.Korsakov., 2002, N.5, 56-57.
25. Kropotov J.D., Grin-Yatsenko V.A., Chutko L.S., Yakovenko E.A., Ponomarev V.. EEG biofeedback in treatment of ADHD. Russian Journal of perinatology and pediatrics. 2002, N3, 35-37. 26. Yakovenko E.A., Kropotov J.D. Chutko L.S., Ponomarev V.A., Evdokimov S.A. Electrophysiological correlates of attention dysfunction in 12-13 year old adolescents. Human Physiology, 2003, 29, № 6