; Southern Illinois University - SIU School of Medicine
Documents
Resources
Learning Center
Upload
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Southern Illinois University - SIU School of Medicine

VIEWS: 4 PAGES: 4

  • pg 1
									                                                         Southern Illinois University
                                                         School of Medicine
                                                         Office of Education and Curriculum - 9622




                                 Year Three Curriculum
                             Coordinating Committee Minutes


Date:       July 10, 2000

Present:    Regina Kovach, MD, Chair
            Amber Barnhart, MD
            Terri Cameron, BA
            Linda Distlehorst, PhD
            Joan Feltovich, MA
            Cris Milliken
            Linda Morrison, MSW
            Martin Muntz, Class of 2001
            Erica Nelson, MD
            Jeff Suzewits, MD

1.0        Review of Minutes
           Minutes from the June 26 Committee on Clerkships and Electives were approved as written.
           As noted, the June 26, 2000 meeting was the last Clerkships and Electives Committee
           meeting.

           Minutes from the June 12 meeting of the Year 3 Curriculum Coordinating Committee were
           approved with the following amendment to 3.3 Review of Membership Roster: …After
           considerable discussion, the group recommends that the four at-large member seats be truly at-
           large. Currently, three of the four at-large seats are vacant.

2.0        Announcements/Reports
           2.1     EPC – No report.

                     Executive Committee –
                     L. Distlehorst reported that the state appropriated budget for this year is the best
                     since SIU was founded (over $1 million). She also reported that a good portion of
                     the budget would be used to support the school’s new curriculum.

                     G. Kovach reported that Executive Committee did not approve the establishment of
                     a Department of Emergency Medicine. The committee felt additional information is
                     needed, and the Dean will study the situation before another vote is taken. This
                     subject will be brought back to the Executive Committee for further discussion.
                                                             Year Three Curriculum Coordinating Committee
                                                                                                Page 2 of 4
                                                                                              July 10, 2000

      2.2       Departmental Reports
                J. Suzewits reported that FCM has purchased 10 Palm Pilot “Visors” to loan to
                students as a tool for logging patient information. Other useful resources for
                students have been loaded into the Palm Pilots for use during their clerkship period.
                Students must return the devices to FCM when the clerkship is completed.

                Discussion followed about the advisability of standardizing a computer based
                patient log for student use throughout their medical school experience. Psychiatry
                and Medicine, as well as FCM each have their own, although there are many parts
                in common. A standardized log form would make it possible to match student
                experiences with overall curriculum objectives and course objectives. A group of
                faculty members is looking at ways to standardize these forms, yet address specific
                clerkship needs. It has been suggested that clerkship specific drop-down menus
                could be built into a computerized logbook to accommodate the differences and
                needs in each clerkship. A student would select, for example, Surgery, and then
                pull up the diagnoses, problem lists, common procedures, medications, etc. common
                to that specialty. If there were large enough memory in the personal data assistant
                (PDA), the student would be able to download information from many sources.

                Committee members asked if students will be required to purchase PDAs. T.
                Cameron reported that first year students will be asked to buy their own. The
                expense could be covered by student loans.

      2.3       Student Reports – No reports.

3.0   Curriculum Issues/Other Updates
      3.1      Clerkship Orientation Update
               The July 5 clerkship orientation went very smoothly. Student feedback from the
               orientation has been positive, especially concerning the 4th year student panel, which
               generated a lively discussion concerning clerkship year. M. Muntz noted that
               handouts distributed at the orientation provided juniors with phone numbers/e-mail
               addresses of the panel participants, and, hopefully, juniors with questions will
               continue to contact panel members in the future with any questions/concerns they
               have.

      3.2       Baseline Examination
                L. Morrison announced that 64 students tested on two cases, Wednesday through
                Saturday, July 5 – 8. A faculty member or resident observed patient interaction in
                one of the cases. The computerized part of the exam was on a secured drive. A
                recommendation was made that faculty review the responses to open-ended
                questions regarding the diagnosis, differential diagnosis. Also, a clinician and a
                basic science instructor are needed to review answers to the headache and stomach-
                chest discomfort cases.

                G. Kovach volunteered to review the stomach-chest discomfort case. L. Morrison
                will ask senior resident, Dr. Ryan Jennings, to review the headache case along with
                senior student M. Muntz.

                L. Distlehorst agreed with the committee that students need to get feedback as soon
                as possible, noting that it will be useful to faculty, too. G. Kovach emphasized that
                results will NOT go to clerkship directors.
                                                   Year Three Curriculum Coordinating Committee
                                                                                      Page 3 of 4
                                                                                    July 10, 2000

3.3   Vice Chair
      G. Kovach reminded the members that a Vice Chair needs to be chosen for this
      committee. Members may e-mail or phone G. Kovach with their suggestions. J.
      Feltovich will send a memo to all committee members asking if they are interested.
      If no suggestions are forthcoming, Dr. Kovach will recruit a Vice Chair to serve
      with her. If two or more suggestions are made, a vote will be taken at the next
      meeting to choose the Vice Chair.

3.4   Membership
      G. Kovach spoke to several faculty members about the Year 3 Curriculum
      Coordinating Committee position vacancies including the three at-large positions
      and the two biomedical positions.

      Dr. Kovach opened the floor to discussion regarding the committee members’
      proposed requirements for filling those vacancies. Because of the size of the
      departments, she suggested that two of the at-large positions might be filled by
      faculty from the Departments of Surgery and Medicine. L. Distlehorst noted that
      we may want to de-emphasize discipline boundaries and look at what we need the
      3rd year curriculum to do to prepare students. What could others bring to the table
      that we don’t have currently represented. It was suggested that the anesthesiology
      clerkship director be approached for membership on the committee although the
      anesthesiology clerkship does not take place until 4th year. Because of his
      knowledge of the 2nd year curriculum and commitment to basic science integration
      during the clinical years, the Year 2 Curriculum Director was also recommended for
      membership. The committee also discussed adding a member of the 1st year
      curriculum committee to this committee as a liaison between the two committees to
      ensure fluidity of student curriculum throughout all years.

      The inclusion on the committee of a resident who is an SIU graduate was also
      recommended. The unique viewpoint as both a resident in training and graduate of
      the school was deemed appropriate for inclusion on the committee.

      G. Kovach asked that committee members e-mail her with any suggestions for
      committee membership. She would like to present recommendations for these
      positions to the Faculty Council prior to their next meeting, which will be held on
      July 24, 2000.

3.5   Operating Papers
      Motion was made and seconded to amend the operating papers of this committee to:
      a) include as part of the membership, a resident who is a former SIU graduate, a
      community physician involved in teaching third year students, and the
      anesthesiology clerkship director, b) strike the parenthetical statement about at-large
      members.


3.6   Cumulative Clerkship Evaluations, Classes 2000-2001
      T. Cameron announced that she continues to receive additional forms from students
      and former students. She will try to have these compiled by the July 24 meeting of
      this committee.
                                                                 Year Three Curriculum Coordinating Committee
                                                                                                    Page 4 of 4
                                                                                                  July 10, 2000

         3.7       End of Clerkship Feedback Form
                   In response to a recognized need for student feedback at the end of each curriculum
                   segment, L. Distlehorst reported that the Program Evaluation working group has
                   recommended that several questions relevant to all curricular segments be included
                   on existing end-of-clerkship program evaluation tools. These items are minimal
                   requirements, and clerkship directors may include other items specific to their
                   clerkship as desired.

                   J. Suzewits asked what constitutes a segment in the third year curriculum,
                   considering that some of the “integrated” clerkships will have a combined exam at
                   the end of the clerkship but separate blocks of activities within the clerkship. L.
                   Distlehorst advised that the feedback be gathered at the end of a defined part of the
                   clerkship, for example, the end of the FCM rotation in the FCM/Psych/Neuro
                   clerkship. This form does not query students directly about integrated activities.

                   T. Cameron advised that OEC hopes to have all forms online. G. Kovach noted that
                   if students are required to complete the online version, they need access to
                   computers. Consideration of clerkship feedback forms and method of submission
                   will be included on the agenda for the next meeting.

4.0      Pending Issues
         4.1       Pagers for Students
                   L. Distlehorst reported that she polled several institutions about their use of pagers
                   for students. Of the six institutions that responded, two schools provide pagers for
                   both 3rd and 4th year students, two schools require students to purchase their own
                   pagers, and two hospitals provide pagers to students when on the unit. Most of the
                   institutions are primary care oriented and have students in far ranging locations.

                   A reported disadvantage to the having pager assigned by each clerkship is that
                   students would have changing numbers throughout the year. If students are
                   assigned/own the pagers at the beginning of the third year, their numbers will
                   remain the same and make contact easier.

                   Some schools reportedly include the cost of pager in their tuition fee. If required by
                   the school, pagers could be paid for by tuition loans. G. Kovach asked what the
                   committee needed to do if they wanted the school to provide student pagers. L.
                   Distlehorst said the committee should send recommendations to OEC. Funding for
                   pagers would be part of the overall curriculum budget, so some other items might
                   not be funded as a result. G. Kovach asked that at the next meeting of this
                   committee the members propose and vote on whether students should be required to
                   have pagers and how they should be funded: by the institution, by the departments,
                   or purchased by individual students.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

								
To top
;