Musical Instrument Museum
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) celebrates the history and diversity of musical
instruments from countries and cultures around the world. The museum’s new 190,000 square-
foot building opened to the public on April 24, 2010 and contains approximately 75,000 square
feet of gallery space.
MIM seeks a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Assistant Registrar. The
Assistant Registrar will participate in all aspects of registration and collections management
activities for MIM as it builds and manages an outstanding, global collection of musical
instruments. This position will report to the Head of Collections and work closely with staff in
MIM departments, including Curatorial, Exhibits, Education, Development, Operations, and
The Assistant Registrar is a full-time regular position and includes benefits. Salary will be
commensurate with experience. This is not an entry-level position but rather a senior level
position within the Collections Department.
• Arrange packing/crating and shipping of objects from every region of the world
(domestic and international). Prepare all necessary information for customs
documentation for international shipments including CITES import permits.
• Create and maintain paper and electronic records for object, archives, and audiovisual
media collection, including acquisition, accession, provenance, location, and other
• Manage all logistics and paperwork for incoming and outgoing loans (loan agreements;
receipts; object checklists; crate and packing lists; packing, crating and transportation
logistics; and courier documents).
• Work closely with Conservator, assist with the handling, packing, and inspection of all
objects entering or leaving the museum.
• Input and update collection data into MIM’s collection database, TMS, as needed.
Provide and create database searches and reports as needed by all museum departments.
Assist with general museum-wide support for TMS users as needed.
• Assist in collections inventories.
• Assist in the routine care and maintenance of object storage areas, ensuring the security
of collections, monitoring environmental conditions in permanent storage, and making
• Assist with the unpacking and re-housing of the permanent collection in the new
collections storage area.
• Arrange access to the collection for MIM staff and visiting scholars. Respond to research
inquiries and other requests from institutions and the public.
• Supervise the work of volunteers and student assistants as needed.
• Manage and assist in selected special projects and performs other related duties, as
• M.A. degree in Museum Studies preferred with 5 additional years of related experience
demonstrating progressively responsible positions working with a collection. B.A. in
Museum Studies, Anthropology, or related field plus 7 years of related experience may
• Advanced knowledge of accepted standards and practices for museum registration and
collections management, as well as legal and ethical issues required.
• Must have at least two years of international shipping experience. Must be familiar with
US Fish and Wildlife permit processes.
• Experience with collections management databases, cataloging standards, and controlled
vocabularies. Familiarity with TMS is preferred, but not required.
• Must be technically literate including experience with collections management databases,
file naming, online research, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to problem-solve, work independently and excel in a high performance, team-
• Strong writing and collaborative interpersonal skills.
• Some travel may be required.
• Ability to lift 50 pounds and climb a step ladder.
• Valid driver’s license.
Identifying a candidate for this position is a priority for MIM, therefore applications will be accepted and
reviewed until the position is filled.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references to:
Head of Collections
Musical Instrument Museum
4725 E. Mayo Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Or email application materials to: