Review Units 3 and 4
Vocabulary: Complete the relationship words.
1. Ben is looking at you. I think he has a c_____________ on you!
2. I really like Jennifer, but I’m too shy to f_____________ with her.
3. Lulu is still angry with Tom after they had a big f_____________ on the weekend.
4. Are you still with Maria, or did you b_____________ up?
Match the words on the left with those on the right.
a) a pair of 1 champagne
b) a bunch of 2 jeans
c) a pack of 3 cake
d) a bottle of 4 grapes
e) a piece of 5 cigarettes
Put the words in the box into the correct group.
bracelet denim leather plain striped top cotton skirt wool necklace earring checked
a) Clothes and accessories: _____________________________________________________
b) Design: _____________________________________________________
c) Material: _____________________________________________________
Grammar: Write the words in the correct order to make sentences and questions.
1. work / why / George / always / 5:00 p.m. / leave / does / at ?
2. them / buying / we’re / for / a gift
3. after / I / hardly ever / TV / midnight / watch
4. him / the dictionary / you / give / can / to / ?
5 at 1:00 / her / was / I / making / lunch / for
6. buy / I / my friend / lunch / normally / on Saturday
7. often / you / how / send / do / a letter / someone ?
8. money / don’t / usually / lend / I / anyone / to
Underline the correct alternative.
1. We enjoy to take/taking the bus.
2. I can’t stand to wash/washing his dirty clothes.
3. She refused to come/coming to my party on Saturday.
4. Julian spent a lot of time to look/looking for some black jeans.
Complete the sentence
5. I can’t afford ________________________________________________________________________
6. My dad enjoys _____________________________________________________________________
7. I always forget ______________________________________________________________________
8. I would like _______________________________________________________________________
Correct the errors
1. She told to me all about her new job.
2. I’m go to write a letter to you very soon.
3. My brother sings beautiful, but he usually gets nervous in front of a crowd.
4. She lent to me her new foot spa.
5. He working in the university when he met her for the first time.
6. He always was studying when he was young.
Complete the text with the simple past or past progressive form of the verbs in parentheses.
Angie (1) _________________ (meet) Tony in Detroit while she (2) _________________ (work)
as a doctor at the hospital. Tony (3) _________________ (be) originally from the England, but he
(4) _________________ (teach) at the hospital for a few weeks during the summer. At first, Angie
(5) _________________ (not like) Tony at all. She (6) _________________ (not look) for a boyfriend and she
(7) _________________ (think) Tony was too loud and confident. But during that summer, they (8)
_________________ (fall) in love.
Listening: Go to www.utimingles.wikispaces.com to listen to this activity. Listen to the conversation
between Rob and his friend, Jen. Are these sentences true (T) or false (F)?
a) Rob is shopping for a gift for his sister. ___
b) Rob is very close to his aunt. ___
c) Aunt Wanda has a well-paid job. ___
d) The perfume is too expensive. ___
e) Rob is unemployed. ___
Reading: Read the text and choose the correct words to complete the sentences.
1. The writer’s wife _____. a) loves getting gifts b) doesn’t like surprises c) has everything she needs
2. The writer was _____ about buying a gift for his wife. a) excited b) nervous c) confident
3. His sister-in-law _____. a) gave him some good ideas b) wasn’t very helpful c) bought some flowers
4. The writer wanted to get his wife _____. a) something unusual b) something cheap c) something boring
5. His wife _____. a) loved the jacket b) didn’t like the jacket c) thought the jacket was original
The last time I went shopping I wasn’t very successful1. I wanted to get my wife a gift for her birthday. You
don’t know my wife, but she has everything she needs. I asked her what she wanted and she said, “a surprise.” I
didn’t want to hear this. What do you buy the person who has everything? My wife knows what she likes, but I
don’t! So, I asked my wife’s sister to give me some ideas. She said flowers were good, but I always get my
wife flowers, so they aren’t a surprise. A box of chocolates? She’s on a diet. A book or a CD? Boring. I spent a
whole afternoon at the shopping mall looking for something fantastic, original, special – and not too expensive.
In the end, I bought her a jacket. It was orange, and very original. I thought it was perfect! When I gave it to
her, she smiled2 and asked me where I bought it. She took it back3 to the store the next day and bought a book.
1. tener exito 2. sonreirse 3. devolver
Writing: Write a paragraph in the past tense. Choose from one of the themes below:
- an experience in a restaurant or at a shopping mall
- a vacation
- what you did last weekend.
You must include the following
- 3 different verbs in the past tense
- 2 different verbs in the past progressive
- 1 sentence with a direct and indirect object