The Brunswick County
Department of Social Services
60 Government Center Dr.
P.O. Box 219
Bolivia, N.C. 28422
Adult Services Unit
Patricia Connelly, Director…
Evelyn S. Johnson
Adult Services Supervisor…
• The welfare system began in 1935 during the
• The Department of Social Services developed out
of the enactment of the Social Security Act in
1935 to assist and address the needs of the poor.
• The first office opened in Southport, NC. It had
two locations. When the sites were out grown
the offices moved to a more central location with
in the county. In 1978 it moved to Bolivia NC
where it is currently housed.
Mission Statement and population
• To promote independence and enhance the
dignity of Brunswick County’s older adults,
persons with disabilities and families through
a community based system of opportunities,
services, benefits, and protection.
• To effectively achieve the mission of the
department, the Brunswick County
Department of Social Services Adult Services
Unit actively collaborates with the state, local,
private and community agencies to do the
best job possible for the residents in the
• Adult Care Home Case Management
• Medical Transportation Services
• Adult Day Care/Day Health Recruitment
• Foster Care Services for Adults
• Adult Protective Services
• Adult Placement Services
• At Risk Case Management
• Community Alternatives Programs (CAP)
• Crisis Intervention Program
• Low Income Energy Assistance Program
• Guardianship Services
• In-Home Aid Services
• Medical Eye Care Program
• Independent Living Program
• I met with workers in each of the programs. I
shadowed them. I observed and participated
as much as possible from the opening of a
case to ongoing management or closure of a
case. This was an important learning
experience for me. It really allowed me see
first hand what the positions were all about
from beginning to end and gave me the
advantage of seeing if this is what I’d like to do
in my professional career.
My Experiences Continued…
• I attended meetings and interacted with other agencies on Elder
• I went on visits to the homes, nursing facilities, independent living
facilities, mental facilities and the hospitals.
• I attended a court hearing for guardianship.
• Sat in on crisis intervention program
• Reviewed history of individuals (charts)
• Administered a agency assessment tool.
• Saw first hand how the elderly are assessed and given aid in the
• Witnessed facility monitoring
• Transportation eligibility and scheduling
• I would recommend this site, it offers a lot to the people in Brunswick
County. Not only would one get to hear and see via office and phone, but
also get first hand knowledge, going to where the people are to help them
meet their needs whether independently or with assistance.
• Although you can set your own hours and have as much flexibility as you
need I encourage anyone seeking this site to set their schedule if at all
possible to a minimum of 4-5 hours at a time or a whole day (keeping in
mind that you are limited to 10 hours a week).
• All of the staff have been great people to work with. There was a lot of
diversity in how the people were served, but the commonality among the
workers was the passion each one had for what they did. I will take this
valuable experience with me no matter where my professional road leads
• If you want to access resources, implement ideas, empower people, offer
services, manage cases and work with adults and the elderly, then this is a
place for you.