GCSE LEVEL PE
Warm-Ups & Cool Downs
Explain what the different components of
a training session are for.
2. Main Activity
3. Cool Down
You will understand the different reasons
and different stages of a warm up and
cooling down and how these can affect
performance and recovery.
Allpupils will understand the 4 reasons and
3 stages of a warm up and how it can affect
All will know the reasons for cooling down.
will be able to plan a sports specific
warm up for their chosen sport.
1. Write down the 3Ps for warming up, and
2. Identify the 3 parts of a warm up and
describe each area.
1. Plan your own warm up (7 minutes).
2. Identify the activity during the three
phases of the warm up. What type of
stretching are you going to use?
3. Identify equipment needed and a
detailed explanation of the activity – you
may use diagrams.
1. Read page 68-71.
2. Identify the main reasons why we
perform a cool down.
3. What are the main principles of a cool
Questions in pairs What are the 3 reasons
and 3 phases of a warm up?
What are the effects of not removing lactic