ALLOPATHIC DOCTORS PRACTISING T/CM
MD. RADZI JOHARI SCHOOL OF MEDICAL SCIENCES UNIVERSITI SAINS MALAYSIA
look & see
1400 years ago : “ God does not create a disease without remedy ” “ Tiada penyakit yang Allah jadikan yang tiada ubatnya”
(HR: Abu Hurairah ) Methods & treatment modalities : T/CM & Allopathy Aim of treatment : To cure the patient
Duty : choose of the best or combination of the most appopriate methods and/or treatment modalities.
EVOLUTION OF MEDICINE Past : before 20thth century Tolerance system: NHC system is based on allopathic medicine - isolated practice of various methods & treatment modalities - T/CM - Allopathic medicine
Evolution of medical practice
Paradigm shift towards integrated medicine 20th century : Inclusive system : recognized but not fully integrated. - allopathic medicine : limitations &
iatrogenic diseases /adverse effects - increasing popularity of T/CM
Evolution of medical practice
Paradigm shift towards integrated medicine 21th century :
- T/CM officially recognized & incorporated into NHC system
Demand & usage of T/CM - Increased significantly globally including in industrialised countries
eg.34%(1990) to 42%(1997) in USA
- Increased demand from patients / public lead to increased interest & involvement : allopathic dr., medical educators & researchers
- More governments /countries promoting & integrating T/CM into their National Healthcare System.
ALLOPATHIC DOCTORS CAN NO LONGER IGNORE T/CM
T/CM IS HERE TO STAY MUST MAKE A POINT TO KNOW
ALLOPATHIC DR. PRACTISING T/CM
Added value to current healthcare system Wellbeing / Patient care health promotion, prevention of disease, curative & rehabilitation. 1. Holistic approch/concept vs. disease oriented. human = spirit / mind + body wellbeing = spirit, mind & body work in harmony
2. Early diagnosis & treatment - diagnostic tool before obvious allopathic lab. results or significant pathological dysfunction. eg. symptpms complex that do not fit into allopathic disease diagnosis : T/CM : Homeopathy Iridiology etc > Prevention & early treatment
3. Cure of diseases - complementing allopathic medicine or - the method / treatment modality itself : chronic diseases 4. Reducing the severity of the illness - severity of pain/disease or iatrogenic disease, adverse sides effects by allopathic medications or therapy. - Acupunture etc.
5. Surveillance of T/CM side effects - T/CM practioners seldom monitor the adverse effects & drugs interactions
- Lancet 335:134-138 Fugh-Berman A(2000)
6. Evidence-based evaluation of T/CM a) Quality, safety & efficacy b) Acceptance into current healthcare system - involvement of allopathic dr. & researchers - incorporated into medical ciriculum - double blind randomized control trials
Effectiveness of T/CM Eg. Homoeopathy Meta-analysis of 119 placebo-control, randomized and/or double-blind clinical trials > the analysis indicate that the available trials results do not support the hypothesis that all clinical effects of Homeopathy interventions can be attributed to placebo. Linde et al (1998) Overview and meta-analysis of control clinical trials of Homeopathy. A critical appraisal.Eds:Ernst&Hahn.
7. More availablity & accessibility of T/CM - hospitals, health clinics etc. 8. Low cost/ expenditure T/CM > generally cheaper than allopathy
EDUCATION & TRAINING - Lack of system for formal education and training locally and standardization and accreditation of overseas training programmes for allopathic doctors. PRACTICE OF T/CM - Hospitals should allow allopathic doctors with T/CM qualifications to provide T/CM services in the hospitals.
- THERE IS GROWING INTEREST & DEMAND OF T/CM GLOBALLY - ALLOPATHIC DOCTORS SHOULD KNOW & BE SKILLFUL IN T/CM SYSTEMS THAT ARE OF PROVEN QUALITY AND EFFICACY - ALLOPATHIC DR.PRACTISING T/CM HAVE MUCH TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS BETTER HEALTH CARE OF THE NATION.