Last updated: February 22, 2010
NGRAIN Viewer (Version 4.1)
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
2. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
3. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
4. UNINSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
5. TECHNICAL SUPPORT
6. NEW IN THIS RELEASE
7. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES
8. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES FOR MICROSOFT OFFICE
9. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES FOR ADOBE READER
1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
The NGRAIN(r) Viewer enables users to explore and interact with 3D
equipment simulations. NGRAIN Viewer operates within HTML pages,
Microsoft(r) Word documents and PowerPoint(r) slides, Adobe(r) PDF files,
and other materials to deliver unsurpassed real-time interactivity with 3D
Knowledge Objects (created in NGRAIN Producer) on common desktop, laptop,
and Tablet computers.
NGRAIN Viewer features include:
- Virtual hands-on parts familiarization
- Procedural animations
- Guided practice with automated feedback
- 3D visual index
NGRAIN plug-ins enables Microsoft Office and Adobe(r) Acrobat(r) users
to quickly insert interactive NGRAIN 3D Knowledge Objects (3KOs)(tm),
created with NGRAIN Producer, into common Microsoft applications and Adobe
PDF files, turning standard documents and presentations into dramatically
more powerful communication and training tools.
With NGRAIN Viewer plug-ins, you can:
- Insert 3KOs into Microsoft Word documents and PowerPoint presentations
by using the Insert menu.
- Insert 3KOs into PDF files using the NGRAIN menu of Adobe Acrobat.
- Define the size of NGRAIN Viewer from familiar Microsoft Word,
PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat interfaces.
- Choose whether to store the inserted 3KO files directly within DOC, PPT,
or PDF files.
- Cut or copy inserted 3KOs from one location in the Word document or
PowerPoint presentation and paste them to another location within the
same or a different document or presentation using standard Microsoft
Page 1 of 8
- Remove 3KOs from Microsoft Word documents, PowerPoint presentations,
and Adobe Acrobat documents.
- Access help for NGRAIN Viewer plug-ins.
2. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Your computer must have the following:
- Microsoft(r) Windows(r) XP Professional SP1a, Windows XP Tablet PC
Edition SP1 or later, Windows Vista(r), or Windows 7 operating system
- Microsoft(r) Internet Explorer(r) 6.0 SP1 or later
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 (included with the installer)
- Microsoft (r) .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) (included with
- 800 x 600 screen area or higher (1024 x 768 recommended)
- 16- or 32-bit color depth
Performance is related to your computer’s processor speed and memory and
to the complexity (size and number of parts) of the 3D model you are
- For basic models, such as the sample 3D Knowledge Objects, your
computer should have a minimum of 128 MB of RAM and a 700 MHz
- For complex models, we recommend that your computer have at least 512
MB of RAM and a 1.4 GHz processor.
- Performance with complex models will be improved most by adding
For Microsoft Office Users:
Microsoft Word or PowerPoint XP, 2003 (SP3), or 2007
For Microsoft Word or PowerPoint XP:
The Shared Add-in Extensibility Update for Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0 (KB908002) and the Shared Add-in Update for Microsoft .NET
Framework 2.0 (KB908002) (included with the installer)
For Adobe Acrobat Users:
Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended
For viewing only:
Adobe(r) Reader 7.0.5 or later
800 x 600 screen area or higher
16- or 32-bit color depth
3. INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
To install NGRAIN Viewer 4.1:
1. Close any other programs you are running.
Page 2 of 8
2. Insert the NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 CD into your CD or DVD drive.
3. On the Windows taskbar, click Start.
4. From the Start menu, click My Computer.
5. Double-click the CD or DVD Drive.
6. In the NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 folder, double-click NGRAINViewer41.exe.
7. Follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
8. After NGRAIN Viewer is installed, click Finish to close the
* If you have NGRAIN Mobilizer 3.0 or later, or NGRAIN Viewer 4.0 or
later installed on your computer, you will be prompted to remove it. If
you choose to remove it, it will be uninstalled and NGRAIN Viewer 4.1
will be installed. If you choose not to remove it, the installation
will end. If you have NGRAIN Mobilizer 2.2 installed, you do not need
to uninstall it as versions 2.2 and 4.1 can co-exist. You can use
NGRAIN Mobilizer 2.2 for interacting with NGW files and the NGRAIN
Viewer 4.1 for interacting with 3KO files.
* If you already have NGRAIN InsertExpress 3.0 or later, or NGRAIN Viewer
4.0 plug-ins or later installed on your computer, you will be prompted
to remove it. If you choose to remove it, it will be uninstalled. If
you choose not to remove it, installation will end. If you have NGRAIN
InsertExpress 1.0 installed, you do not need to uninstall it as NGRAIN
InsertExpress 1.0 and the NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 plug-ins can co-exist. If
you want to uninstall NGRAIN InsertExpress 1.0, follow the same
procedure given below for uninstalling NGRAIN Viewer 4.1, but select
NGRAIN(r) InsertExpress 1.0 from the "Currently installed programs"
* If you do not have the specified versions of .NET Framework and Windows
Installer on your computer, you will be informed that they are missing.
If you choose to install them and agree to their license agreements,
they will be installed at the same time as NGRAIN Viewer 4.1. If you
choose not to install them, the installation will end.
* The installer checks for all other system requirements and informs you
if they are not met. Installation will end if the operating system
requirement is not met and if Internet Explorer 5.5, at a minimum, is
not detected. Installation will continue if any of the other system
requirements are not met; however, NGRAIN Viewer may not function as
* When installing the NGRAIN plug-ins on a computer with any supported
version of Microsoft Word or PowerPoint and the .NET Framework Version
2.0, (if not already present), the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools
for Office Runtime is installed. Administration rights are required to
install the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime.
* When installing the NGRAIN plug-ins on a computer with either Microsoft
Office 2000 or Microsoft Office XP, the Shared Add-in Extensibility
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002) and the Shared Add-
in Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002) are installed, if
Page 3 of 8
not already present.
By default the installation process adds a folder called "NGRAIN Viewer
4.1" to your computer in the following location: C:\Program Files\NGRAIN.
Please read the NGRAIN Viewer Help for important information about how to
use the program. Help can be opened by clicking the Help button on the
toolbar. Help for each plug-in can be opened by clicking the Help button
on the Insert NGRAIN 3KO dialog. Adobe Acrobat users can also access help
from the Plug-in Help menu.
Alternatively, you can use the following procedure to open NGRAIN Viewer
Help if no Help button has been included on the toolbar:
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start.
2. From the Start menu, click My Computer.
3. Navigate to C:\Program Files\NGRAIN\NGRAIN Viewer 4.1\Help.
4. Double-click NGRAIN_Viewer_Help.chm.
4. UNINSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
To uninstall NGRAIN Viewer 4.1:
1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start.
2. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs.
4. From the "Currently installed programs" list, select NGRAIN(r) Viewer
5. Click Remove.
6. Click Yes at the prompt to confirm that you want to remove the
7. When all installed features have been removed, click Finish to close
the installation wizard.
8. Close the Add or Remove Programs dialog.
If you chose to install the Microsoft .NET Framework along with NGRAIN
Viewer, it is not uninstalled when you uninstall NGRAIN Viewer and must be
removed manually. Follow the same procedure as above, but select Microsoft
.NET Framework 2.0 from the "Currently installed programs" list.
If the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Runtime, the Shared
Add-in Extensibility Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002),
and the Shared Add-in Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (KB908002)
were installed during the installation of the NGRAIN Viewer, these files
are not removed when uninstalling NGRAIN Viewer.
5. TECHNICAL SUPPORT:
If you require technical support for NGRAIN Viewer, contact
Page 4 of 8
6. NEW IN THIS RELEASE:
NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 includes a number of enhancements, including:
1) Information about the 3KO, such as its name, location, viewing
restrictions, and copyright information, can be viewed by right-
clicking in the workspace and clicking "3KO Properties".
2) The improved Cross-section palette allows the whole model or selected
parts to be cross-sectioned based on the current view or the model.
The Advanced tab allows for more precise cross-sectioning.
3) The new Rotation tool allows the model to be zoomed, rotated in 1, 2,
5, 10, 30, 45, or 90-degree increments and has preset views for:
Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, and Bottom.
4) Rotation has been improved and now adjusts depending on the size of
the model; the rotation of large parts is now smoother and finer.
5) Parts, assemblies, or the whole model can now be centered in the
workspace. This allows parts, assemblies, or the whole model to be
rotated around its center point.
6) For constrained movement steps, a tolerance region can now be defined
for the end position. Users will successfully complete these step when
they move the part somewhere within the tolerance region.
7) Tasks steps can now be configured so that if a step is failed, users
will proceed automatically to the next step after a configurable
number of attempts.
8) Tasks and animations may now include clickable callouts. Users must
click a button in the callout to proceed with the task or animation.
9) Tasks can now include steps in which users must create sub-assemblies
by attaching or removing parts from something other than the main
10) During a task, ScreenTips may now be hidden in the Parts Bin and/or
the workspace, depending on how the task was configured.
7. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES:
Installation Wizard May Incorrectly Prompt for a Restart
When installing NGRAIN Producer 4.1, the installation wizard may prompt
you to restart your computer. This prompt appears in error. Do not restart
your computer during installation.
Default Manipulation Mode
If you open a file in NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 or later that has not been saved
in NGRAIN Producer 3.1 or later, NGRAIN Viewer starts in "Move Part" mode.
However, if you open a file in NGRAIN Viewer 4.1 or later that has been
saved in NGRAIN Producer 4.0 or later, NGRAIN Viewer starts in "Rotate
Page 5 of 8
Cannot Progressively Load Multiple Files Simultaneously
A feature of NGRAIN Viewer 3.2 and later is progressive loading, which
allows you, when using HTML embedded usage of the viewer, to start
interacting with a model before the entire 3KO file is downloaded.
However, it is not a good practice to progressively load more than one 3KO
file at the same time, as the model geometry will stop being updated at
some point during the download process. In this situation clicking the
Cancel button on the progress bar (if one is available) has no effect.
Instead, you can refresh the HTML page.
Cannot Cancel File Loading for Earlier Versions of 3KO Files
Under certain circumstances you may see a progress bar while a 3KO file is
loading. If you are loading a 3KO saved in Producer 3.1 or earlier, you
won't see a Cancel button and, therefore, can't cancel file loading.
No progressive loading for HTML embedded 3KOs on Vista
When HTML pages with embedded 3KOs are viewed on the Windows Vista
operating system, and the HTML page does not have focus, progressive
loading of the embedded 3KO does not show. To display progressive
loading while loading an HTML page with an embedded 3KO on the Windows
Vista operating system, maximize the HTML page while the 3KO is
loading or move your mouse and keep the pointer hovered over the
NGRAIN Viewer viewing area.
8. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES FOR MICROSOFT OFFICE:
Menu Items Not Removed from Insert Menu
If you save the Normal.dot template file, the NGRAIN Viewer plug-ins menu
item will not be removed from the Insert menu when NGRAIN Viewer plug-ins
are uninstalled. If you want to remove the menu item, delete the
Normal.dot template file. It can be found at C:\Documents and
Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. When you delete
the Normal.dot template file, a new one will be automatically created the
next time you run Word (or any other application that uses Word).
Note: Be aware that if you delete the Normal.dot file, you will lose all
modifications that have been made to the template, including those not
made by the NGRAIN Viewer plug-ins.
Scrolling through Word Document
When a 3KO is inserted into a Word document, and if you open the document
with Word XP, you may notice that some NGRAIN Viewer interface elements do
not display properly after scrolling through the document. To display the
elements again, either adjust the size of the Parts panel slightly or
close and then reopen the document.
Page 6 of 8
Custom Controls not Functioning Correctly
If you add custom user interface elements in Office 2003 documents with
embedded 3KO files, you may notice that the custom interface elements
may not function properly. The Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP3) is
required to ensure compatibility.
Opening and Distributing Word Documents and PowerPoint Presentations
When you have inserted a 3KO into a Word document or PowerPoint
presentation, you must follow a few additional steps when reopening the
document or presentation. Additionally, when you distribute the document
or presentation to end users, you must provide all associated files. Refer
to the NGRAIN plug-in Help for further information.
Missing Audio Files
If you insert a 3KO that contains animations with audio files attached to
them, and if the audio files have been specified in NGRAIN Producer using
relative paths, the audio files will not open when the animation is
played. To avoid this issue, specify absolute paths to the audio files in
NGRAIN Producer or insert the 3KO using the "Link to 3KO file" option
instead of the "Embed 3KO" option.
9. TROUBLESHOOTING ISSUES FOR ADOBE READER:
Embedded 3KO cannot be enabled
Enabling 3KO files in a secure PDF document generates errors. Embedded 3KO
files cannot be enabled in Adobe Reader when security settings have been
applied to PDF document. To avoid this issue, do not apply security
settings to PDF documents with embedded 3KO files.
Copyright 2002-2010 NGRAIN (Canada) Corporation and its licensors.
All rights reserved.
NGRAIN is a registered trademark of NGRAIN (Canada) Corporation.
Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Warning: This Software is protected by copyright law and international
treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this Software or
any portion of it may result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and
will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under law.
Copyright (c) 2005, XMLMVP Project
All rights reserved.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
Page 7 of 8
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
* Neither the name of the XMLMVP Project nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN
ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
NGRAIN (Canada) Corporation
Suite 250 - 1818 Cornwall Avenue
Vancouver, BC, V6J 1C7
Page 8 of 8