What is Google Wave?
• A wave is equal parts conversation and
document. People can communicate and work
together with richly formatted text, photos,
videos, maps, and more.
• A wave is shared. Any participant can reply
anywhere in the message, edit the content and
add participants at any point in the process.
Then playback lets anyone rewind the wave to
see who said what and when.
• A wave is live. With live transmission as you
type, participants on a wave can have faster
conversations, see edits and interact with
extensions in real-time.
More on Wave
What is Sketchpad?
• A Google Wave gadget that provides simple
real-time collaborative drawing a la
• Leverages Google Wave to provide playback of
previous states and real-time updating of a live
Components of Sketchpad
• A traditional DHTML app using HTML, CSS,
• Drawing support provided by HTML 5 Canvas
• Google Wave Gadget API provides persistent
Challenges with Sketchpad
• Working with a brand new API
• Product is still in alpha preview and very much
• Emulating Paint with HTML Canvas and
Coming this December