What Makes a Quality
Management Plan So
Why does your business need a quality
management plan for Total Quality Management?
A Simple Example
What happens without a plan?
• Do a lot – but not getting a lot done
• Constant retracing of steps – making several trips instead of one
• Waste time trying to remember what to do
• Making decisions on the fly
A plan puts the
structure in place that
allows TQM efforts to
gain traction and
produce real results
A Quality Plan Sets TQM Priorities & Goals
Most important aspect of a quality system plan
• Sets in place a reference point by answering critical questions:
What is TQM supposed to do?
What are we trying to achieve?
Well-communicated plan sets overarching goals &
• Clear goals & objectives enable informed priority setting
• Puts everyone on the same page – working toward same goal
If you don’t know where you are
going, any road will get you there.
A Quality Plan Clarifies TQM Activities
Next question: how and what to do to meet plan
Standardization in how tasks are carried out is
needed to consistently meet TQM objectives
• Process owners
• Best practices for executing process & measuring results
• What documents and training are needed to ensure consistent results
QMS Review and Improvement
Plan establishes a
method to measure
Produces results that
A quality management are unlikely to occur
plan creates methods when things are done
for periodic reviews & in an ad hoc fashion
• 2 critical elements: correction &
True Benefits of a Quality Management Plan
defined goals through
Tangible benefits &
return on your TQM
Impact on how well the
www.cebos.com Images used with permission from Microsoft.