“Order in the Court”
• Determine a specific topic you want to
• For example: “How does being on time to
class relate to final grades?”
• Use books and scientific journals
• Use measurements
– Metric system
• Meter, Liter, Gram, Fahrenheit, Celsius
• Gather and compare data
• Educated Guess based on facts gathered
from previous observations.
• CAN BE TESTED
• Conduct your experiment
– Example: Fires in Chatsworth
• Test all variables
– Control Group
• A part of the experiment that remains constant
– Example: An area without fires—nothing changes.
– Independent variables
– Example: Fires
– Dependent variables
– Example: Firefighters
• Copy all DATA on charts, tables and
• A critical ANALYSIS and judgement
drawn by data and using EVIDENCE.
• Incorporates all steps of the scientific
• A logical explanation for events that occur
in nature that have been supported by
• Note: This is not the same definition for
theory in other subjects.