For this project, you are to choose a disease, research it, and then either write a 2-3 page paper or a
Powerpoint that you must present to the class. Both are worth the same.
Species Benefit or Disease
Lactobacillus acidophilus Cheese and yogurt product, intestinal bacteria
Lactococcus lactis Cheese and buttermilk production
Rhizobia Convert nitrogen gas into usable nitrogen for plants
Bifidobacterium Normal intestinal bacteria
Clostridium difficile Gastrointestinal disease
Bacillus anthracis Anthrax
Streptococcus pneumoniae Pneumonia
Staphylococcus aureus Skin infections, acne, pink eye.
Campylobacter jejuni Food poisoning
Salmonella typhimurium Food poisoning
Escherichia coli O157:H7 Food poisoning
Group A Streptococcus Strep throat
Staphylococcus epidermidis Body odor
Streptococcus mutans Cavities
Clostridium tetani Tetanus (lockjaw)
Streptococcus pyrogenes Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease)
Bacterial Research Grading Rubric
You will be graded on the following: Points
1. Cover Page / Slide
- Your Name
- The disease you’re presenting
- The name of this class and period
2. Know Your Bacteria
- What is the scientific name of the bacteria? Make sure the scientific name is in
the proper format ( i.e. Homo sapiens )
- What shape is the bacteria? (show a picture)
- Does the bacteria live in clusters (staph), long chains (strep) or neither?
- Is the bacteria an obligate aerobe, facultative anaerobe, or obligate
anaerobe? Explain what this means. 25
- Describe the anatomy of the bacteria. Does it have any specialized
structures such as a capsule, flagella or pili? If so, explain the purpose of
- Does the bacteria have a parasitic, commensalistic, or mutualistic
relationship with other organisms?
3. Disease (Complete this section if you have a pathogenic bacterium)
- Describe how the disease spreads (contact, airborne, etc)
- How could someone protect themselves from this disease? Are there any
effective methods of prevention?
- List all of the major symptoms associated with the disease. Include pictures
- For each symptom, explain how exactly the bacteria causes that symptom.
- Example: If your bacteria causes diarrhea, explain why. What exactly happens
in the small intestine to cause this effect?
Example 2: If the bacteria causes a fever, explain why the body increases its
temperature in this way.
- Does the bacteria produce a toxin or waste product that causes or intensifies some
of the symptoms?
- If someone were to get the disease, how would they be treated?
- Have the bacteria that cause this disease developed any kind of antibiotic
resistance? Which antibiotics are they resistant to?
- Explain the specific beneficial effects this bacteria has on humans or other
- How exactly does this beneficial process work?
Example: If the bacteria is able to ferment milk into cheese or yogurt, explain
how this happens. What does the bacteria do exactly, and how does it affect the
- If there are different forms of the product (different types of cheese for example),
explain how these varieties are made.
- List all sources of your information at the end. Must be properly formatted! Use 10
www.easybib.com if you don’t know how to format.
6. Speaking / Formatting
- Present to the class, speak clearly and make sure everyone is able to complete the 10
Total Points Possible 100