Libraries - Home Page

Document Sample
Libraries - Home Page Powered By Docstoc
					                  English Version

A useful guide to living and
      working in Fife
                        GETTING AROUND FIFE

                                    Map of Fife


Fife is on the east coast of Scotland to the north of
Edinburgh. It is served by two main airports. Edinburgh
Airport is to the south and Glasgow Airport to the west.

For more information:

Fife has good rail and road links to the rest of Scotland
and the UK. You can ask for bus and train timetables at
any bus or train station. For information about local Fife
Bus Services call:

General Enquiries 01592 583223 or 0871 200 2233

For more information on longer distance travel:


Trains: In preparing this booklet, we have tried our best to make
sure that the information is correct. But we cannot guarantee this. It
should not be regarded as a statement of law. Please also note that
Buses and Trains: www.firstgroup.comT
information such as phone numbers, costs and other information may

Many travel companies offer discounted fares - contact them for more
                       WELCOME TO FIFE

                        Welcome to Fife

This booklet is for you if you have come from another country to
live and work in Fife. It will also be useful for you if you are
moving from within the UK.

We have tried to provide information about services, websites
and organisations that you may find useful. The booklet also
provides telephone numbers that you may need and gives basic
information about your rights and responsibilities while you are in

If you need more information about Fife you can find out more at

You can use the Internet free in any library

Unless it says otherwise, all services listed in this booklet are
free and confidential.

Fife Council
Policy and Organisational Development
Fife House


In compiling this booklet, we acknowledge the assistance of the
Fife Migrant Workers Group and the contribution of Glasgow City

                                  Date of Issue: September 2007


General Information                        p5
Getting Help in Your Own Language          p8
Learning English                           p9
Working                                    p12
     Workers Registration Scheme
     National Insurance Numbers
     Finding Work
     Your Rights at Work
Housing                                    p21
     Finding Somewhere to Stay
     Living in a Community
     Council Tax
     Fire and Safety
Health                                     p30
     Registering with a Doctor (GP)
     Eye Care
     Maternity Services
School and Education                       p39
Libraries                                  p47
Careers Scotland                           p49
Opportunity Centres                        p50
Community Services                         p52
Your Safety                                p53
     Police and Crime
Further Advice                             p57
     Further and Higher Education
     Overseas Qualifications
     Self Employment
     Racial Discrimination
     Money Advice
     Ethnic Minority Training and Education
     Support for Asylum Seekers and Refugees
     Returning Home
Leisure and Recreation                      p69
Quick Reference Guide                       p71

                    GENERAL INFORMATION

Scotland is a country in the United Kingdom (UK). The UK is a
democracy with an elected government based in London. There
is a separate elected Scottish Parliament based in Edinburgh
which deals with certain aspects of government business such
as education and health.

Each area of Scotland elects a member of parliament (MP), a
member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP) and a member of the
European Parliament (MEP). If you wish to contact the MP, MSP
or MEP for your area, you can ask at your local library for details.

The population of Scotland is 5 million. The capital is Edinburgh
and Glasgow is the biggest city with a population of 600,000. In
Fife, the population, of around 350,000, is diverse with people
from over 40 nationalities living here.

Fife is one of the most historical regions in Scotland. It is still
called the Kingdom of Fife and is situated between the Firth of
Tay and the Firth of Forth. The major towns in Fife are
Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and St. Andrews. Like most
regions, some areas are poor whilst others are wealthy and
thriving. A great deal of work is being done to improve the
economy of Fife and to promote inclusion, tolerance and

The authority in charge of Fife is called Fife Council. It is
responsible for the everyday organisation of the region -
everything from schools to roads to libraries and museums.
Major decisions are made by ‘the Council’ - a body of elected
representatives. Each area has its own representative, called a
councillor. You can contact your councillor if you have any
concerns about council services. Your local library can tell you
who your councillor is and how to get in contact with them

                   GENERAL INFORMATION


Fife is on the same latitude as Lithuania but has a fairly stable
climate with summers that are quite warm and winters that are
mild. It can be wet in Scotland, so waterproof clothes and shoes
are good things to have.


British currency is pound (£) sterling. £1.00 is made up of 100
pence (p). Euros are not generally accepted.


Electricity in the UK is 230V AC, 50Hz.


Most public telephones take coins (10p, 20p, 50p, £1). The
minimum call charge is usually 20p. Many also take cards and
have Email and Internet access. 0800 and 0808 numbers and
999 (emergency number) are free from public telephones.


In an emergency, dial 999 from any phone. This is a free number.
Tell the operator the service you need: Police, Fire Brigade or
Ambulance. Give the address where the help is needed and your

Post Office

Post offices sell postage stamps, currency, phone cards and
power cards. By visiting a main post office, you can also get
forms for TV licences and driving licences. It also provides
banking services such as paying bills and sending money abroad.

Main Post Offices are open Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm and
Saturday 9am-12.30pm. Local Post Offices have reduced the
hours that they are open.


You need proof of identity, address and employment to open a
bank account. Some banks offer better rates of interest than
others so it is best to ask at more than one bank before you open
an account.

                      GENERAL INFORMATION


You need to have a current driving licence and be properly
insured to drive. See more information on driving later in this


Time is consistent with Greenwich Mean Time. Morning is shown
as a.m. and afternoon is shown as p.m. Clocks are put forward
one hour from late March to late October. In October, they are
turned back by one hour. Most public transport timetables use
the 24-hour clock.

Television (TV)

You must have a licence if you have a TV. Costs are different if
you have a colour TV than if you have a black and white one. If
you do not have a TV licence you may be fined £1,000. If you
rent a house and the landlord provides a TV, the landlord must
provide the licence.

If you don’t have a licence, contact TV Licensing for information
about how to get your licence.

Call: 0870 241 6468

Weights and Measures

The metric system is used but the non-metric system is also
common. Distances are in miles. 1 kilometre = 5/8 of a mile.
Food, drink and petrol are sold in metric.


Interpreting Service - Fife Council Language Lines

Fife Council have set up five dedicated Language Lines to
enable people from the major ethnic minority communities in Fife
to contact them directly in their own language. You can ask for a
male or female interpreter.

The five Language Lines are:

Urdu / Punjabi    08451    55   55   66
Chinese           08451    55   55   88
Bengali           08451    55   55   99
Arabic            08451    55   55   77
Polish            08451    55   55   44

Calls cost 3-5p per minute from a UK landline, mobile rates may

If you, or someone you know, would like to request written
information from Fife Council in a language other than English, or
in an alternative format such as large print, Braille, on tape etc,
please call 08451 55 55 00.

Deaf customers can use Fife Council’s BT Text Direct number
18001 08451 55 55 00 to contact the council directly
or can fax them on 01592 417373.

                      This is a free service

If you require help with interpreting or translation, you can also

Fife Community Interpreting Service

Rina Ghosh
Unit 1
Hanover Court
North Street

Tel: 01592 611745

                      LEARNING ENGLISH

Fife Council’s English for Speakers of Other Languages

Fife Council’s ESOL service runs a range of English classes for
people living in Fife who do not speak English as their first
language. Classes are free for those who are unemployed or
working less than 16 hours per week. However, there is a cost
involved for people not in this category, for example short term
residents who intend staying in the country for less than 1 year.
Students must be 16 years of age before they can attend classes.

If a student has to pay, the rates for ESOL are £32.60 for 20
hours and £65.20 for 40 hours (September 2006). A ‘learner
passport’ is issued with 20 or 40 one-hour boxes that the tutor
stamps each time the student attends a class.

ESOL also helps students apply for UK citizenship if their English
level is too low to allow them to do it for themselves online.

Help with childcare and travel may also be available to eligible

Before attending a class, individuals must contact a local ESOL
Organiser to arrange an assessment.

Contact details are below.

Helen Davison
ESOL Organiser (West Fife)
Fife Council
15 East Port
KY12 7JG
Tel: 01383 602359

Alan Elder
ESOL Organiser (Central Fife)
Fife Council
12 Whytescauseway
Tel: 01592 583342

                      LEARNING ENGLISH

Frances Marnie
ESOL Organiser (East Fife)
Fife Council
St Andrews Local Office
2 St Mary’s Place
St Andrews
KY16 9UY
Tel: 01334 659363

The colleges below may also offer assistance in learning English.
You can contact them to see if they have a class to suit your
needs. There is a cost for this. Check with the college to see if
funding and other support for study is available.

Adam Smith College

Adam Smith College offers ESOL courses at all levels from
Beginners to Advanced. English can be studied full-time (day) in
Kirkcaldy or part-time (day and evening) in Kirkcaldy and

The General English level is designed to improve speaking,
listening, reading and writing skills in English and includes
options in Academic English, British Culture, Pronunciation,
Conversation and Business English. It leads to recognised
qualifications in ESOL at Access 3, Intermediate 1, Intermediate
2 and Higher (university entrance level). Every student’s level of
English is assessed before starting the course. On completing
the course students can progress to the next level or apply for
career-based courses or degree courses at Adam Smith College
or other Scottish universities.

Full-time General English is free for EU citizens and for students
from outside the EU who have been resident in the UK for at
least 3 years before starting this course. Part-time courses start
at £63 per 36 hour module. Students with an Individual Learning
Account (ILA) can use this to pay for their course fees. For more
information and to arrange a test please contact:

Barbara Beedham
ESOL Co-ordinator
Adam Smith College
St Brycedale Avenue
Kirkcaldy Fife KY1 1EX
Tel: 01592 223400/0800 413280

                       LEARNING ENGLISH

Elmwood College

Elmwood offers ESOL language courses at a range of levels
including certificated programmes. These courses are offered
throughout the year and are open to everyone who would like to
improve their English.

For further details contact:

Catherine Middleton
Elmwood College
Carslogie Road
Cupar, Fife

Tel: 01334 658800
or arrange to drop in for an informal discussion.


For all nationalities, a good starting point for information about
working in the UK is This site
aims to provide you with clear information about the various
routes open to Foreign Nationals who want to come and work in
the United Kingdom.

Workers Registration Scheme

If you are from Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia,
Slovakia, Hungary or the Czech Republic, and you find a job in
the UK, you are required to apply to register with the Home
Office under the ‘Worker Registration Scheme’.

You should register as soon as you start a job. The maximum
time you are allowed before applying is 1 month. If you do not
register within 1 month your employment will be illegal. You must
reapply every time you change employer. You only pay for your
first registration.

It is very important that you register because you will have more
rights in the first year that you are in the UK and you will need to
register if you want a residence permit to stay in the UK for
longer. Also, to be eligible for most public housing, you must
have worked in the UK for one full year.

You can phone for a Workers Registration Scheme form on
08705 210 224.

How do I apply and how should I pay?
You should complete application form WRS giving your name,
address, date of birth, nationality and your employment details.
It may be best if you and your employer fill in the form. Send the
form with:
    A letter from your employer saying that you are working
    2 passport size photos
    Passport/ID card

It is best to send your details by ‘special delivery’ ask at the
Post Office for more information.

The charge for a first application is £70. You must fill in the
payment slip on the application form.


Multiple Applications
Those making multiple applications are able to make one
payment to cover the full cost of the total number of applications
being submitted using the new multiple payment slip. A
maximum of 25 applications can be submitted with one payment.
Please note, you still need to fill in a separate WRS form for
each person registering on the scheme.

Further Information
You can also get more information from:
Home Office Worker Registration Team
Work Permits (UK)
PO BOX 3468
S3 8WA

Tel: 0114 207 6022

WRS forms are available at your local Opportunity Centre. WRS
forms can also be downloaded from

National Insurance Number

Everyone who works in the UK must have a National Insurance
Your national insurance number is unique to you. It is used to
record the payments you make and is your reference number for
state benefits.
If you do not have one you must telephone:
0845 6000643 (you can ask for an interpreter)
The operator will then ask you to make an appointment for an
‘evidence of identity interview’ that may be held in Edinburgh.
If you cannot attend the interview in Edinburgh, you can ask for a
local interview and arrangements may be made for it to take
place at the Job Centre Plus office in Cupar.
Interpreters are provided free of charge for clients if required.


You will need to take:

   proof of identity - such as a passport or ID card.
   proof of your address – such as a bill for example.
   proof that you are working - such as a letter from your
   proof that you are permitted to work – such as your
    passport or visa

If you are asked to go to Cupar Jobcentre Plus, details are

7 Westport
United Kingdom
KY15 4AN
Tel: 01334 413700

Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions

When you start work you will have to pay income tax to the
government. You will get a tax code. This is used to work out
how much tax you should pay.
Your employer should take off income tax from your wages and
send it to the Inland Revenue. When you start your first job in
the UK, you will probably pay ‘emergency tax’ until you get your
own tax code. When/if you return to your home country, or if you
stay on in Scotland, you may be able to get some of the tax back.
Every worker has to pay national insurance contributions (NIC)
to the government. NIC is a kind of tax which gives people the
right to certain state benefits such as sick pay. Your employer
should take off NIC from your wages and send it to the Inland
Some employers may offer you a job without paying national
insurance or tax. This is against the law and they are not likely
to be good employers.
If you do not work legally, or pay taxes it means that it will
be difficult for you to get employment protection or help
from the state if you become sick or lose your job.


Self Employment

If you are self-employed, you must register as soon as possible
with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs by phoning: 0845

Finding Work

There are many job opportunities in Fife, including food
processing, production, in call centres and hospitality (hotels and
cafes). There are opportunities for those who are professionally
qualified. There are skills shortages such as plumbers, joiners
and electricians.


If you need to check how your qualifications compare with UK
qualifications (equivalency) in the UK, contact NARIC on 0870
990 4088 or see on the Internet at A letter
confirming the equivalency of your qualifications costs around
£30. If you just want information, phone the British Council
Information Line on 0161 957 7755 and they can search the
NARIC database for you.

Looking for Work

Employment agencies: there are private employment agencies
in Fife. You can get details of these by searching on the Internet.
Private employment agencies may charge you money for finding
you work.

Newspapers: jobs are advertised in the Fife newspapers and on
their websites. Examples are the Fife Free Press, The
Glenrothes Gazette, The St Andrews Courier and The
Dunfermline Press. You can read newspapers free in any library
and on the Internet.

You can find work in Fife by applying directly to employers,
contacting private employment agencies and by visiting
Jobcentre Plus.


Jobcentre Plus is an agency of the Government Department for
Work and Pensions. It provides help and advice on jobs and
training and information on job vacancies. For information on
how Jobcentre Plus can help you and provide up-to-date
information and advice about working in the UK go to your
nearest office.

Cupar                                Glenrothes
7 Westport                           3 Post Gate
Cupar                                Glenrothes
KY15 4AN                             KY7 5LL
Tel: 01334 413700                    Tel: 01592 253600

Cowdenbeath                          Leven
6 Pitt Road                          9 Waggon Road
Cowdenbeath                          Leven
KY4 9NQ                              KY8 4PT
Tel: 01383 315400                    Tel: 01333 593100
Dunfermline                          St. Andrews
79-83 High Street                    187 South Street
Dunfermline                          St Andrews
KY12 7DR                             KY16 9EE
Tel: 01383 315200                    Tel: 01334 413500

5 Hunter Street
Tel: 01592 253200

You can find out more on the Internet at or phone Jobseeker Direct and
speak to an adviser on 0845 6060234.

Internet: there are many recruitment websites for example,

Job fairs: Look out for job fairs. These are advertised in
newspapers, in Jobcentre Plus and on the radio.

Adverts: check local shop windows and notice boards in shops,
cafes and supermarkets.


For information about running your own business contact:

Jobcentre Plus or

Scottish Enterprise Fife
Kingdom House
Saltire Centre

Tel: 01592 623000

Your Rights at Work

Advice on your rights

Everyone who works has basic rights. You have these rights
whether you work part-time (less than 16 hours) or full-time.
Employment law is complicated and rights vary depending on
your circumstances. If there is anything you are not sure about,
get advice.

Good starting points for help and advice are:

TUC Migrant Workers Project – see
or phone 0870 600 4882 for a copy of Working in the UK; your
rights. This booklet is available in Latvian, Hungarian, Estonian,
Czech, Slovak and Polish.

Scottish TUC: 0141 337 8100 for advice on which trade union to
join and other general help.

Scottish Low Pay Unit:

Phone 0845 602 3802 or see for advice on
pay and all your rights at work.

Citizens Advice and Rights Fife (CARF) See more details
later in this booklet.

ACAS – see or phone the helpline on 08457
47 47 47


Your rights include

Written statement

Your employer must give you a written statement within two
months of starting your job with details of your pay, hours,
holidays and so on. Make sure you understand it before you
sign it.

Pay slip

Your employer must give you a pay slip for any wages. It should
show how much you have been paid and what has been taken
off for tax and national insurance contributions.

National Minimum Wage

Most workers in Scotland aged 16 or over are entitled to a
national minimum hourly wage (NMW), regardless of where they
work, the size of the firm or the worker’s occupation. The NMW
is fixed at different rates for certain groups or workers depending
on age or on participation in an accredited training scheme.
Agricultural workers have a separate scheme that is compatible
with NMW requirements where necessary.

The Department of Trade and Industry publish 2 leaflets that
explain workers’ rights to the NMW. These are:

National Minimum Wage – A short guide for workers (URN
06/1764) and
National Minimum Wage – A short guide for young workers
both are available from:
Dti Publishing Orderline, Admail, London, SW1W 8WT.

Tel. 0845 015 0010

Your employer can take off a maximum of £3.90 a day (£27.30 a
week) from your pay if they provide accommodation for you. If
they provide transport to get you to work and back, they can take
the cost from your pay. They cannot take the cost of meals or


If your employer pays you less than the minimum wage, they are
breaking the law.
For more information phone the minimum wage helpline on 0845
6000 678 or see

Working time rights: breaks, holidays, holiday pay, and a limit on
the working week:

 The right not to work more than 48 hours per week (in any 4
  month period)
 Rest breaks of 20 minutes every 6 hours (more if you are
  under 18)
 Paid holidays of 4 weeks a year

Health and safety protection: your employer must make sure
your workplace is safe and healthy.

Right to join a union: you cannot be discriminated against if you
join a union.

Right not to be discriminated against: you must not be treated
less favourably than other workers because of race, gender,
disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, religion or belief.

Phone the TUC Know Your Rights Line on 0870 600 4882 or the
Scottish TUC on 0141 337 8100 for more information.

If you are working and you get sick or become pregnant, you
may be able to get sick pay or maternity pay. This depends on
your circumstances and the national insurance contributions
(NIC) you have paid.

If your wages are low, you may also be able to claim
housing benefit, council tax benefit and working tax credits.

You need to be registered with the Worker Registration Scheme
and to pay NIC to be eligible for these benefits.

Your local Jobcentre Plus office can give you more information
about these and how to apply.


Other State Benefits

After you have worked in the UK for more than 12 months you
are entitled to the same support as UK citizens. This includes
state benefits such as jobseekers allowance if you are able to
work but not employed and income support or incapacity benefit
if you are not able to work.

Your local Jobcentre Plus can give you more information about
welfare benefits and how to apply.

You should register with the Worker Registration Scheme.
Although it costs £70, it means that you can work legally and you
will have more rights and protection.

If you have been brought to Fife against your will or are
being forced into work that is dangerous or you think is
illegal - contact the police.

Further information available at


If you need help with childcare while you work, there are day
nurseries, childminders and after school clubs across Fife.

You can contact Fife Childcare Information Service on 01592
776406 or e-mail

You can also look up Childcare Link on the Internet at


Finding Somewhere to Stay

Your employer may have arranged somewhere for you to stay. If
not, there are various options:

Bed and breakfast: may be expensive but might be suitable for
a few days.

You can get details of commercial hostels and bed and
breakfasts from Tourist Information at

Or try

Private Rental

You can rent from a private landlord. Rents vary across Fife but
expect to pay around £200-£250 a month plus bills for a single
room in a shared flat to £400 upwards for a three bedroom flat.
You can find details of houses to let in your local newspapers,
which are published weekly. Look in The Fife Free Press, The
Glenrothes Gazette, The St Andrews Citizen and The
Dunfermline Press; it is also worth looking in estate agents and
in local shop windows.

Social Housing

Houses can be rented from Fife Council or other Housing
Associations (Registered Social Landlord) or Housing
Cooperatives. These provide affordable housing.

You will need to complete an application form before you can go
on a housing association waiting list (you may have to wait some
time depending on what you are looking for).

You can get a list of all housing associations in Fife from the
Scottish Federation of Housing Associations on the Internet at or contact SFHA on 0131 556 5777


You can buy your own house. Prices vary across Fife. You
should take advice from a bank or building society before
borrowing money (mortgage) and buying a house.


If you are homeless

In certain circumstances, Fife Council will help you find a place to
live. If you have been working in the UK for more than 12 months
you may be eligible for help in getting a place to live. If you have
not been working for more than 12 months, you may still be
eligible for help if you are registered under the Worker
Registration Scheme and are working for the employer named
on your registration certificate.

Contact Details:

Home4Good Centres

34 Commercial Road
Tel: 01333 592744

16 East Burnside
KY15 4BH
Tel: 01334 413881

Segal House
1-2 Segal Place
Pittencrieff Street
KY12 8AZ
Tel: 01383 314080

Other Numbers:

Homeless Call Point - 01383 313897
(for all new homeless applications):

24 hour advice line:
0800 028 6231

Out of hours Emergency Homeless: Tel: 01592 583393


Private Rental

Most incoming workers rent privately. A few points about renting

1.   The landlord should be registered. This means that the
     landlord is ‘fit and proper’ and complies with certain
     standards. You can check whether a landlord is registered
     on 0800 027 0414 or online at

2.   The landlord must have House in Multiple Occupation (HMO)
      Licence where the house has at least three unrelated
      persons living in the house who share a toilet, bathroom
      or kitchen. You can check whether a landlord has an HMO
      licence by phoning Fife Council on 08451 555 555 ext.

3.   You should get a tenancy agreement from your landlord.
     This is a contract which you both sign and which sets out
     what is expected of you and the landlord. Make sure you
     understand this before you sign it. If you are not sure
     about it, get advice from any of the organisations listed at
     the end of this section.

4.   The tenancy agreement will say what is included in the rent,
     such as furniture. It is not likely to include the cost of
     heating, lighting or telephone. It will also say how many
     people can stay in the house and if pets are allowed.

5.   You must do what it says in the tenancy agreement. For
     example, you should not have more people living in your
     house than stated. If you break the tenancy agreement,
     your landlord may ask you to leave. The landlord must also
     do what it says in the tenancy agreement.

6.   If you are a tenant, your landlord cannot simply evict you.
     You are protected by law. This varies depending on the kind
     of tenancy you have and your circumstances. It is important
     to get advice if there are any problems with your landlord or
     you are threatened with eviction.


7.   As a tenant, you have both rights and responsibilities. For
     example, the landlord must keep the house wind and
     watertight and it should be fit for living in before you move
     into it. It is up to the landlord to carry out major repairs. But
     it is up to you to keep the house clean and in good order.
     This includes the area around the house.

A good source for advice on housing can be found at:

Living in a Community

Looking after your home

It is important to look after your home and keep your house clean
and in good repair.

You should not use your home as a workshop or for storing, for
example electrical equipment.


There should be no more than 2 people for each room in your
home. So if your house has 3 rooms, no more than 6 people
should live there. (One adult is the same as 2 children under 10.)
If you overcrowd your house, it causes problems with safety and
with neighbours. Also, overcrowding probably breaks the
agreement you have with your landlord and you may be evicted.

Living in a flat

If you are living in a flat with neighbours around you it is best if
you are considerate towards the people living in the other flats.

Stair cleaning

Sometimes you may share a common stairway and it is up to
you to clean the common stairs, not the owner of the flat. You
must take your turn in keeping the stairs and landing clean.



Noise travels so you should be quiet between 11 at night and 9
in the morning and be considerate at other times, particularly on
Sundays. Keep music low, especially at these times, as loud
music often disturbs neighbours.


Be careful about leaks, overflowing sinks and baths as water
may go through your floor into the flat below you and cause a lot
of damage.

Communal area

Often, there is an area at the back of a group of flats and this
space is for children to play and for drying your washing on the
clotheslines. You must keep this area clean and safe for children.
This is up to you and not the owner of the building


The council collects household rubbish. To find out when your
rubbish is taken away, call:

08451 55 00 22

   Put your rubbish only in the bins provided. You must not
    leave rubbish anywhere else.
   Put the lid back on the bin after use.
   If your rubbish does not fit in the bin, contact the council.
   Do not put waste in other people’s bins.
   Do not let children play near or take waste from bins.

Old furniture and big items

The council will collect items that are too big for the bins and old
furniture, such as beds, once a week. There is a charge for this.

Fridges and freezers are dealt with separately. There is no
charge to take a fridge or freezer away.


Old furniture and big items should only be put on the street on
the collection day. There are no rubbish collections on public

For more information, call: 08451 55 00 22 or go to

On the Street

It is not against the law to gather on the street in large numbers.
But, be aware that people may be frightened when they see
large groups on street corners. This may cause problems in your

Council Tax

If you own or rent a house you have to pay council tax. This is a
local tax for services such as schools, libraries, street lighting
and water.

How much you pay

The amount you pay depends on how much your home is worth.

Who pays

Most people over 18 have to pay council tax. There are
discounts, for example if you live alone. For more information

08451 55 11 44 or see

In most cases, council tax is not included in your monthly
rental costs. Check with the landlord.

When you pay - You pay monthly.

How you pay - There are many ways to pay. Please see below.

You can pay online at or in local
council collection offices and at paypoints in shops and
supermarkets. If you have a bank account, it can be taken from
this by direct debit.


If you cannot afford to pay

If you qualify for welfare benefits or you are on a low income, you
may be able to claim a rebate on your tax. Phone the Council
Tax Enquiry Line for details.

If you are getting into arrears

It is important to make regular payments towards your council tax
bill. If you do not, you could face a penalty of an extra 10% and,
eventually, court action.

If you are not able to pay your council tax, let the council know.
The sooner they know, the sooner they can help sort things out
so that you do not get into debt.

Council Tax Collection Office

Tel – 08451 55 11 55

Our opening times are:       Monday to Thursday - 8.00am to
                             Friday - 8.00am to 6.00pm

Fire Safety

This page tells you how to prevent fire in your home and what to
do if there is a fire. Read it carefully. Make sure that everyone
in your home knows what to do if there is a fire.

Preventing fire

Fife Fire and Rescue offers FREE home fire safety visits. They
will visit you and tell you how safe your home is. They will give
you information and advice, and if necessary, fit 10-year smoke
alarms and / or replace batteries.
To book a visit call 0800 0731 999 (FREE PHONE NUMBER).


Cigarettes and fire

In Fife last year, many people died in fires. These fires were
mainly caused by cigarettes. So:

     Take care with your matches and lighters
     Take care when putting out your cigarettes
     Take care to empty your ashtrays
     Take extra care when tired or if you have been drinking
     Make sure your smoke alarms are working

Smoke alarms

There should be at least one smoke alarm on each level of your
home. In some houses these are mains powered. But most use
long-life batteries. Check once a week, by pressing the test
button. Change the batteries once a year.

Living in a flat

Your building has been designed and built with fire safety in mind.
The walls and doors between flats are made to resist fire and
stop the spread of smoke.

Make sure you:
   Keep the stairs and corridors of your building free of
    belongings or rubbish
   Keep escape routes clear

If your smoke alarm goes off or you discover a fire


   Tell everyone who is in your home and get them out as
    quickly as possible.
   Close the door.
   Once outside, phone 999 from any phone and ask for the
    Fire Service. Tell them the address where the fire is.


If you are in a high rise flat

Do not leave your house by the balcony unless it is a proper
escape route Use the stairs, not the lift.

Phone 999 and ask for the Fire Service. Give your address and
the floor level the fire is on.

If the fire is in another flat

It will normally be safe to stay in your own home. Get to a
window so you are seen.

If your house is affected by heat or smoke, leave by a safe route.
There should be signs on each floor of a high rise flat.

Use the stairs, not the lift

Phone 999 and ask for the Fire Service. Tell them where the
fire is.

Further Information:



The National Health Service (NHS) provides health services.
You get most health services through a family doctor (called a
General Practitioner or GP).

Register with a GP as soon as possible – don’t wait until you
are ill or there is a problem.

If you are not registered and become seriously ill, go to the
Accident and Emergency department at your local hospital.

All NHS medical treatment is free. Your GP may charge for
health checks for employers or insurance companies, private
health certificates, certificates for travelling abroad and some
travel vaccinations. You may have to pay towards the cost of
medicines (see below). You may have to pay towards the cost of
teeth or eye care (see below).

Registering with a GP

You should register with a GP near where you live. You can get
a list of GPs at your library or on the Internet at or

To register, you must fill in an application form.

You can also ask friends or neighbours about local GPs.
Go to the doctor’s surgery and ask to be put on the list of
patients. There is no cost for this.

You can ask for a male or female GP, if available.

A GP can refuse to take you on if they have no space on their list.
If you are having difficulty getting a GP, phone the Practitioner
Services Department on 0131 537 8424.

When you register, the GP will tell you what documents they
need to confirm your status in the UK. For example, if you are a
European Economic Authority (EEA) National planning to stay
permanently in the UK, the GP may ask to see documents such
as council tax receipts to show your intention to stay. If you only
intend to stay in the UK for a short while you may need to show a
European Health Insurance Card or a form E111.


As an EEA National you (and your wife/husband/civil partner and
children) are entitled to the same treatment as all UK citizens. If
you are in the UK temporarily, the treatment will take into
account the nature of the care and the length of time you expect
to stay in the UK. The GP can give you more details.

Getting Medical Treatment

Phone your GP for an appointment. . Most GPs see people by
appointment only. You must call at 8.30 a.m. for an
appointment for that day. You will be given a time to see the GP
or practice nurse. This appointment is for one person only. It is
important to keep this appointment and to let the GP know if
you cannot attend.

The GP will be your link to most other health services including
maternity, physiotherapy and mental health services as well as
hospital treatment but not teeth or eye care.

Outside normal opening hours

All GPs have arrangements to help patients outside normal
hours. If you or someone you care for is ill and you think it can’t
wait until your GP surgery is open, phone the GP surgery for
information on how to get treatment. You can also phone NHS
24 on 08454 24 24 24.

NHS 24 also gives general health information. Find out more on
the Internet at

Minor Accidents

For minor accidents you should contact your GP or go to the
Accident and Emergency department at your local hospital.


If it’s an emergency, for example someone is bleeding
heavily or has stopped breathing, phone 999 and say you
need an ambulance. Give your name and tell them the
address to come to.


Your Children

The NHS provides healthcare for all children and young people
from when they are born until they finish their education. They
will also get regular checks at school. If you have children, you
must register them with the GP.

Immunisation Against Infectious Diseases

Children in the UK are usually immunised to protect them from
measles, mumps, rubella (German measles), polio, diphtheria,
tetanus and meningitis. Depending on which country you come
from, you may be advised about other vaccinations e.g. TB.
These diseases can be serious so it is very important to check
with your GP, health visitor or school nurse to see if your child
needs immunised.

Contraception and Sexual Health

The NHS in Fife provides information about Contraceptive &
Sexual Health. Information is provided through Contraception
and Sexual Health (CASH) Clinics, your GP or some pharmacies.
CASH provides the whole range of contraceptive methods
including emergency contraception, condoms, referral for
termination of pregnancy, testing and treatment of sexually
transmitted infections (STIs), cervical smears, “Well Woman”
advice and advice on other reproductive health issues.

All contraceptives and advice is free of charge, and you do not
need to be referred by your GP.

Opening Times and Venues

CASH offers a range of clinics at various times and venues
throughout Fife. Please contact the main centre which is based
at The Beeches Centre within Forth Park Hospital, Kirkcaldy.
Contact 01592 647974 for more information.


You can also buy condoms in supermarkets, garages, public
toilets and pharmacies.



If you need medicine, the GP will give you a form called a
prescription, which you need to take to a chemist (pharmacy).
There may be a pharmacy at the GP surgery. If not, there will be
a pharmacy near where you live.

Pharmacists can also give you advice and sell non-prescription
medicines for minor problems. The price of these medicines

Cost of Medicine/Prescription

There is a charge for prescriptions (£5.00 for each item at
October 2008). Children, pregnant women, elderly people and
those on welfare benefits or low incomes and people with certain
chronic illness do not pay this charge.

If you need regular prescriptions it may be worth getting a
prepayment certificate from your pharmacy. This costs £17.00
for 4 months and £48.00 for 12 months.

For more information about prescription charges get leaflet HC11
from any pharmacy or post office.

Dentists (teeth)

You should register with a local dentist. You can get a list of
local dentists from your library or health centre or ask friends and
neighbours. For a list of dentists in Fife go to:

You can register with a NHS dentist or a private dentist (if private,
you pay all dental costs). If you have any difficulty registering
with a dentist, call the Dental Helpline on: 01592 740 230

The government sets NHS dental charges once a year. Dental
check ups are free. You pay 80% of treatment costs up to a
maximum of £384 for any one course of treatment (April 2006).
Ask your dentist about these costs.


The following people get free NHS dental treatment:

      Under 18 years
      Under 19 years but in full-time education
      Pregnant women or with a child under 12 months
      Adults who get Pension Guarantee Credit or benefits
       such as Income Support
      or Jobseekers Allowance

People on low income (including elderly and students) can apply
for help with dental costs by completing HC1 form. You can get
this from your dentist or post office.

If it is an emergency or you are in pain, contact your dentist. If
you do not have a dentist, call 01592 740 230

This is a fee-paying service and you need to book an
appointment. Phones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week. The cost is the same as normal dental treatment. You
should remember to take money with you.

Eye Care

You can go to any optician for an eye test. If you are entitled to
free NHS treatment, the eye test is free. You will need to pay
some or all of the cost of glasses. The optician will tell you about
costs and any documents you need. If the eye test shows up a
medical problem with your eyes, the optician will refer you to
your GP.

Any Other Health Issues

If you or someone you care for needs any special help or
treatment because of disability, a health issue or a special need,
contact your GP. The GP will tell you about any help you can get.



If you are unhappy about a service, you have a right to complain.

Ask to see the complaints procedure, which will tell you how to
go about making a complaint.

Or, you can contact:

Patient Relations Department
Fife NHS Board

Tel: 01592 643355 (Ext 8557)

Help and Information

If you need help to fill in any medical or other forms please
contact the Citizens Advice and Rights Fife (CARF).

For more information about health, phone the NHS Scotland free
helpline on 0800 22 44 88 or go on the Internet at

Health fact sheets can be downloaded from the Internet at

Maternity Services

If you are pregnant, make an appointment with your GP. The GP
will put you in touch with maternity services.

If the pregnancy is unwanted, you can speak to your GP or
call 01383 722911to discuss your situation.

Most GP surgeries will have health promotion leaflets. They may
be available in your language. Ask your GP or practice nurse.


Genitourinary Medicine and Sexual Health

We provide sexual health screens, testing and treatment for
sexually transmitted infections including HIV and Hepatitis.
Vaccinations for Hepatitis A and B, emergency contraception,
pregnancy testing and condoms. All services are free and strictly

confidential. Contact the Beeches Centre, Forth Park Hospital,
Kirkcaldy on 01592 643774 or Clinic 4, Queen Margaret Hospital
on 01383 624079.

Rape and Sexual Assault

If you have been raped or sexually assaulted, no matter where
you were, what you were doing, what you were wearing or if you
had been drinking – you are not to blame.

Speak to someone you trust, you can report it to the police and
get medical attention (tell the doctor what happened).You can
ask to see a male or female doctor.

Fife Rape and Sexual Assault Centre Tel: 01592 642336
                                    Tel: 01334 655205

Domestic Abuse

Domestic abuse takes many forms including:

 Physical (hitting, punching, pushing)
 Emotional (isolation, threatening, calling names, saying they
  are stupid,)
 Sexual (unwanted / forced sexual contact, including rape)
 or financial abuse (with-holding money)

If this is happening to you – tell someone you trust

In cases of assault:
 phone the police on 999, and
 get medical attention (tell the doctor what happened)

omestic Abuse                   HEALTH

Where to get help

Women’s Aid is an all women’s organization offering
confidential information, support and refuge for women, children
and young people experiencing domestic abuse. They will help
you consider your options and support you in what you choose to

Dunfermline Women’s Aid                  Tel: 01383 732289
Kirkcaldy Women’s Aid                    Tel: 01592 261008
East Fife Women’s Aid                    Tel: 01334 412330


Women often get involved in prostitution because they have no
other way of getting the money they need, for example to pay off
debts from travel costs to the UK or pay for housing or living

Prostitution has a very detrimental effect on a woman’s physical
and mental wellbeing. If you do become involved in prostitution,
healthcare and advice are very important.

It is illegal to prostitute in the street or to run or work in a brothel.
If you do this, you risk being arrested and charged by the police.
It is a serious crime to make a woman prostitute herself or to live
off her earnings.

If you need to speak to someone about what is happening to you,
contact FRASAC. They will not judge you or give your name to
anyone else. They can give you advice, healthcare and support,
and can help you get out of prostitution.

29 Townsend Place

Tel: 01592 642336


Children and Young People

By law, parents must look after a child’s health and welfare. In
Scotland, a child is anyone under 16 years of age.

Parents’ Responsibilities

By law, parents have a responsibility to:

 ensure the child's health, development and welfare;
 offer direction & guidance to the child;

Children left alone

Child care agencies recommend that children under 13 years
should not be left alone. If your child is 13 years or older, and
you feel he or she has the maturity and ability to deal with being
left alone then you must decide whether they can be left alone.

It is important that they know where you are and who they
should contact if there is an emergency.

Smacking of children

The law states that parents are no longer able to:
 give a blow to the head
 shake a child
 use an implement on their child

For advice or information about anything to do with your children
or family, speak to a health visitor (through your GP) or your
child’s school.

                   SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

School and Education

Fife Council Education Service is in charge of education for all
children in Fife.

The UK provides free education for all children of school age
(about 5-16). By law, school-age children have to go to school.
So, you must enrol your children as soon as possible. Enrol your
child by contacting the Head Teacher at your local school.

Children normally attend their nearest school but if you want your
child to go to a different school, then you can ask for a ‘placing
request form’ at your local school.

The same education is provided for boys and girls. Most classes
are mixed, with boys and girls learning together.

If your child speaks little or no English, they will be given support
to get as much from lessons as possible.

If your child needs any extra help, for example if they have a
learning or physical disability, the school will make sure that they
are fully supported.


Children aged 3 and 4 get free pre-school education. This runs
weekdays for either the morning or the afternoon. Phone the
Pre-five Unit on 08451 555 555 ext. 442074 for information.

Primary School

Children start primary school in the year that they become
5(between 1 March and 28 February). Children attend primary
school for 7 years, from Primary 1 to Primary 7.

Secondary School

Children start secondary school in the year that they become 12
(between 1 March and 28 February). Children can leave school
at 16. If they are 16 before the end of February then they can
leave school at the Christmas holidays in the December before
this. If they are 16 before the 30 September then they can leave
school at the start of the summer holidays in June/July.

                   SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

Duration of the School Day and School Year

Schools run from Monday to Friday, normally between 9am and
3pm (primary school) and 3.30pm (secondary school).

The school year starts in August and ends in June. There is a
long holiday in the summer (6 weeks); 2 weeks in December
(Christmas); 2 weeks at Easter (March/April) and 2 weeks in
October. There are also other holidays and in-service days
(when teachers are trained). Your school will give you a list of

What Children Study at School

All children in Scotland study the 5-14 curriculum which sets out
what children are expected to learn between the ages of 5 and
14 across various subjects. There are qualifications that children
can achieve in secondary school so they can move onto college,
university or work. Your school will give you more information
about these.

Special Education

If your child has any Additional Support needs because of
physical or learning disability or for any other reason, the
Education Department will discuss this with you. For more
information contact the Additional Support Needs Unit on 08451
555 555 ext. 444208

School Meals

All primary schools provide lunches. There is a charge for this.
Ask at the school office for information about costs.

In secondary schools there is a choice of food at different prices.
Free school lunches are available for children whose parents are
on low incomes. Ask at the school office for details.

Primary school children may get a free portion of fruit each day.

                     SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

School Clothes

Most schools encourage children to wear a ‘uniform’. This is
likely to be very basic such as a shirt with the school badge. It
may be possible to get a grant for school clothing for children
whose parents are on low incomes. Ask at the school office for

Schools understand that because of religion or culture children
may need to wear certain clothes or cover their arms/legs during
sports or swimming.


Your child will get free travel to school if the local school is more
than 1 mile from home (primary) or more than 2 miles from home
(secondary). They will not get this if you choose to send your
child to a school that is not local and is over 1 or 2 miles from

For specific information please contact the school involved in the
first instance. For general information please call: 08451 555
555 ext. 444440.


There are both non-religious and Roman Catholic schools in Fife.

Children can opt out of any religious observance in school. You
should tell the school if your child is opting out.

Please tell the school if you have any religious or cultural needs
or if you wish to take your child out of school on recognised
religious occasions for faiths other than Christianity.


Schools encourage positive behaviour of children and reward
good behaviour. There is no physical punishment of children.
Children may be given written exercises, or privileges (such as
play time) may be taken away for ‘bad’ behaviour. Schools will
talk to parents if there is any concern about a child’s behaviour.

                    SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

Parental Involvement in Schools

Parents are made welcome in schools. Parents’ nights are held
once or twice a year. This gives parents the chance to meet
their child’s teacher(s) and find out how they are getting on.
Parents are given a written report about their child’s progress
once a year. If you cannot read English, the school can arrange
an interpreter to go through the report.

Parents can be involved in schools in many ways. Ask at your
school for details.


Schools can arrange for an interpreter to help at meetings with
teachers. Please tell your school if you would like to speak to a
teacher and need an interpreter.


Every school has a nurse who carries out medical checks such
as eyesight and hearing. Children are also immunised against
serious infectious diseases. You will get a letter explaining about
health checks and will be asked to give your permission for these.

Racial Harassment and Bullying

Racial harassment and bullying are not tolerated in schools and
are therefore taken very seriously. If you or your child are
unhappy about something that is happening at school, please tell
a teacher.

Home Education

For parents who wish to educate their children at home, more
information is available from:

Kate Paton
Tel: 01383 609281

                    SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

Informal Education

There are classes and activities for all age groups in many
different subjects. Check with your library or contact

Janice McCarron
Tel: 08451 555 555 ext. 442014

The Bilingual Support Service

The Bilingual Support Service works with schools, families and
other agencies to support children who are learning English as
an additional language.

Gypsy & Traveller Education collaborates with mainstream
schools to support the right to education and inclusion for all
school age Gypsies and Travellers. Alternative educational
experiences can be offered to highly mobile children.

Contact: David Watson
Support Service Manager

Auchterderran Centre
14 Woodend Road

Tel: 08451 555 555 ext. 441941

Post-School Education

After they leave school, your children may want to carry on with
their education at college or university. Your school will explain
the options. Check with the library or on the Internet for a list of
universities and colleges in Fife and the rest of Scotland.

You may have already left school and you may also want to
study at college or university. Colleges and universities offer a
wide range of courses. Funding and other support for study may
be available. Colleges in Fife are listed below.

                  SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

      Adam Smith College        Carnigie College
      Stenton Campus            Halbeath
      Stenton Road              Dunfermline
      Glenrothes                Fife
      Fife                      KY11 8DY
      KY6 2RA                   Tel: 01383 845000
      Tel: 0800 413280

      Adam Smith College        Elmwood College
      St Brycedales             Carslogie Road
      Avenue                    Cupar
      Kirkcaldy                 KY15 4JB
      KY1 1EX                   Tel: 01334 658800
      Tel: 0800 413280

Primary Schools

There are 146 primary schools in Fife. To find out which school
your child should attend, please contact your nearest area offices

Area Offices—Education

Glenrothes Area Office               Kirkcaldy Area Office
Education Service                    Education Service
Auchterderran Centre                 Town House
Woodend Road                         2 Wemyssfield
CARDENDEN                            KIRKCALDY
KY5 0NE                              KY1 1XW
Tel: 01592 583374                    Tel: 01592 583377

Dunfermline Area Office              Cupar Area Office
Education Service                    Education Service
New City House                       County Buildings
1 Edgar Street                       St Catherine Street
DUNFERMLINE                          CUPAR
KY12 7EP                             KY15 4TA
Tel: 01383 609280                    Tel: 01334 659362

                  SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

Secondary Schools

There are 19 secondary schools in Fife. Look at the secondary
school list to see which the nearest school to you is:

Contact the school to arrange an appointment.

Auchmuty High        Glenwood High         Queen Anne High
School               School                School
GLENROTHES           ROAD                  PARKS
KY7 5JL              GLENROTHES            DUNFERMLINE
Tel: 01592 583401    KY6 1JX               KY12 0PQ
                     Tel: 01592 583404     Tel: 01383 602404

Balwearie High       Inverkeithing High    St.Andrew's RC
School               School                High School
KIRKCALDY            KY11 1PL              KY1 3JL
KY2 5LY              Tel: 01383 602403     Tel: 01592 583407
Tel: 01592 583402

Beath High School    Kirkcaldy High        St.Columba's RC
FOULFORD ROAD        School                High School
KY4 9BH              KIRKCALDY             DUNFERMLINE
Tel: 01383 602401    KY1 3LR               KY11 4UN
                     Tel: 01592 583405     Tel: 01383 602405

Bell Baxter High     Kirkland High         Viewforth High
School               School and            School
CARSLOGIE ROAD       Community             LOUGHBOROUGH
CUPAR                College               ROAD
KY15 4HY             METHIL BRAE           KIRKCALDY
Tel: 01334 659459    METHIL                KY1 3DE
                     LEVEN                 Tel: 01592 583408
                     KY8 3LT
                     Tel: 01334 592403

                SCHOOL AND EDUCATION

Buckhaven High      Lochgelly High      Waid Academy
School              School              ANSTRUTHER
ROAD                LOCHGELLY           Tel: 01334 659404
BUCKHAVEN           KY5 8LZ
LEVEN               Tel: 01592 583406
Tel: 01592 583403

Dunfermline High    Madras College      Woodmill High
School              SOUTH STREET        School
PLACE               KY16 9EJ            DUNFERMLINE
DUNFERMLINE         Tel: 01334 659402   KY11 4ER
KY11 3BQ                                Tel: 01383 602406
Tel: 01383 602402

Glenrothes High     Madras College
School              (Kilrymont)
KY6 1HJ             KY16 8DE
Tel: 01592 583476   Tel: 01334 659401



Most areas in Fife have a library. Library services are free. You
can use the library to find out about your local area, read the
newspapers, use a computer and the Internet or borrow books,
CDs and DVDs. Many libraries have books and magazines in
languages other than English. All libraries have special books
and areas for children.

If you live, work or study in Fife, go to your nearest library to join.

Here is a list of the main libraries in Fife

Cupar Library and                       Dunfermline Carnegie
Information Centre                      Library
BONNYGATE                               ABBOT STREET
CUPAR                                   DUNFERMLINE
Tel: 01334 659367                       KY12 7NL
                                        Tel: 01383 602365

Rothes Halls Library                    Kirkcaldy Central Library
ROTHES SQUARE                           ABBOTSHALL ROAD
GLENROTHES                              KIRKCALDY
KY7 5NX                                 KY1 1YG
Tel: 01592 583387                       Tel: 01592 583206

Sinclairtown Library                    St. Andrews Library
Kirkcaldy                               CHURCH SQUARE
LOUGHBOROUGH ROAD                       ST ANDREWS
KIRKCALDY                               KY16 9NN
KY1 3DB                                 Tel: 01334 659378
Tel: 01592 583209

Ethnic Community Library

Ethnic Community Library Services provide a range of leisure
and information materials in Urdu and Chinese. It comprises
collections of fiction and non-fiction books for adults, dual
language books for children, Asian music CDs and free on-line
access to information. Urdu and Chinese language newspapers
and magazines are also available.

Detailed information about what is held in each collection is
available from any library in Fife.


For more information, telephone or e-mail:

Dunfermline Carnegie Library: Provides all services

Tel: 01383 602365 or

Glenwood Library: (Glenrothes) Provides all services except
Urdu language books

Tel: 01592 583205 or

Templehall Library: (Kirkcaldy) Provides computer services
and Urdu language books only

Tel: 01592 583210 or

                     CAREERS SCOTLAND
Careers Scotland

Careers Scotland offers a range of career planning, employability
and information services to help people to make decisions
regarding their careers.

If you are clear about what you need then Careers Scotland can
help you to:

   decide what career options are open to you
   review progress in achieving your career aims
   providing resources to enable you to research careers, job
    vacancies and training opportunities
   find learning opportunities and appropriate funding
   apply for work, training or learning opportunities
   prepare a CV
   get ready for interviews
   complete application forms

How to Contact Them:

Their services are available at your local Careers Scotland
Centre. In Fife, you can find Careers Scotland in your local
Opportunity Centre. See information on Opportunity Centres later
in this booklet.

Or, you can telephone: 0845 8 502 502
You can also visit their website at:

                   OPPORTUNITY CENTRES

Opportunity Centres provide a one-door approach for
everything you need to know about education, training and job

Services include

     Information on jobs, careers, courses and funding
     Help with CVs, applications and interviews
     Online job vacancies
     Use of computers, e mail and Internet
     Career advice
     Redundancy advice and support service
     Help with basic skills such as reading, writing and spelling
     Help with English for speakers of other languages
     Learning opportunities for people of all ages.
     Advice & information when considering setting up your own
      business or wishing to expand an existing business.

How to use the centre

Drop in to use the free resources.

Get advice on the spot from the Client Action Team, available

Make an appointment with a Careers Scotland adviser to discuss
your job or career ideas further.

Take part in one of our centre workshops or classes.

All the Opportunity Centre services are free to people of all ages
and at all stages who live or work in Fife.

The Opportunity Centre partnership involves a wide range of
agencies including:

     Fife Council's Inclusion and Employability Team
     ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
     Adult Basic Education
     Careers Scotland
     Colleges
     Jobcentre Plus
     Business Gateway
     Voluntary Organisations

                  OPPORTUNITY CENTRES

Opening Hours

The Centres are open on weekdays from 9am-5pm.

(10am-5pm on a Wednesday).

Some classes are held in the evening.

Disabled Access - Yes


     Disabled Ramp
     Disabled Toilets
     Fax
     Induction Loop
     Interview Room
     Newspapers - Local
     PCs for Public Use
     Photocopier
     Telephone
     Training Room


Opportunity Centre                 Opportunity Centre Kirkcaldy
Cowdenbeath                        12 WHYTESCAUSEWAY
320 HIGH STREET                    KIRKCALDY
COWDENBEATH                        KY1 1XF
KY4 9NT                            Tel: 01592 583345
Tel: 01383 602377

Opportunity Centre                 Opportunity Centre Leven
Dunfermline                        GREIG INSTITUTE
15 EAST PORT                       FORTH STREET
DUNFERMLINE                        LEVEN
KY12 7JG                           KY8 4PF
Tel: 01383 602378                  Tel: 01334 659383

Opportunity Centre                 Opportunity Centre Cupar
Glenrothes                         54 CROSSGATE
FIFE HOUSE                         CUPAR
NORTH STREET                       KY15 5HS
GLENROTHES                         Tel: 01334 659382
Tel: 01592 583344

                     COMMUNITY SERVICES

Community Services

Community Services is a Fife Council service that provides and
promotes opportunities across Fife for local communities to
engage in cultural, leisure and learning activities, which positively
contribute to health, well-being and quality of life.

Although Community Services is made up of fourteen sections,
we have included the sections, which may be of greatest interest
to you. These are:

      Theatres - see page 69
      Museums - see page 69
      Libraries - see page 47
      Childcare - see page 20
      Sports - see page 69
      Lifelong Learning – contact an Opportunity Centre for more

Some of the principles behind providing these services are:

    To empower individuals and communities
    To value the worth of each individual and their right to
    To provide equal access and opportunity for all
    To work towards a sustainable Fife.

                          YOUR SAFETY

The Police and Crime

There are police stations covering all areas of Fife. The larger
stations are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Police
Officers work to ensure that Fife is a safe place to live, work and
visit. You can make contact with and report a crime to Fife
Constabulary in one of three ways

By telephone

If it’s an emergency phone 999 and ask for the Police.

If you do not think the situation needs an immediate response
phone our non-emergency number on 0845 600 5702

Attend at your local police station and ask to speak to a Police
Officer. A member of staff will take brief details of your complaint
and an officer will deal with your enquiry.

You can also report minor crimes online at

If it is a racist or homophobic crime you can report the crime, in
confidence, to the police. You can get a self-referral form by
calling 0845 600 5702 or e-mail

If you need an interpreter to report any crime, ask and the Police
will contact an interpreter on your behalf. This will not cost you
anything. The Police may make use of an interpreter over the
telephone to assist you with your enquiry. This would not be
done for any serious crime or incident.

If you have been abused or exploited in any way, the Police have
specially trained officers to deal with this situation. If you would
prefer to speak with a male or female officer this will be arranged.

        You should never attempt to take the law into
                     your own hands.
            The police treat this very seriously.

                          YOUR SAFETY

Personal Safety & Security

Every police station has a Community Safety Officer (CSO).
They can give you advice on personal safety and home security.
If you wish to speak to your local CSO please telephone 0845
600 5702


It is an offence to carry any knife or offensive weapon in a public
place without reasonable excuse. Carrying any weapon for your
own protection is against the law. It is not an offence to carry a
knife in a public place provided its blade does not exceed 3
inches (7.62 cms). This only applies to folding knives, as locking
or flick knives are illegal.

Stop and Search

Police Officers have powers to stop and search you if they
believe you are in possession of a weapon. They can also
search you if they believe you are carrying drugs or stolen
property. In general terms, persons under the age of 18 years
are not permitted to consume alcohol. It is an offence to sell to,
or purchase alcoholic liquor on behalf of persons under 18 years.


In general terms, persons under 18 years of age are not
permitted to consume alcoholic liquor. It is an offence to sell to,
or purchase on behalf of a person under 18 years of age.

Age of Sexual Consent

The age of sexual consent in Scotland is16 years and if any
person engages in sexual intercourse with a person under that
age, they commit an offence liable to imprisonment.

                         YOUR SAFETY


If you own a car or intend to drive in the UK you must do so
legally. This means that you must be at least 17 years of age
and have applied for a provisional driver’s licence from the Driver
and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). There are strict
conditions covering the holder of a Provisional Driver’s Licence.

You can only drive if you;

   Have a UK provisional driving licence
   Are supervised in the car by someone who is over 21 and
    who has held a full UK licence for at least 3 years
   Put L (learner) plates on the car (front and rear)
   Do not go on a motorway
   Do not pull a trailer

If you live in the UK and have a valid driving licence from a
European Community country you can drive here. But you need
to exchange the licence for a UK licence within a certain period.
The length of time depends on whether it is an ordinary licence
or a vocational licence (to drive buses and so on).

When you sit and pass a Driving Test, your provisional licence
will be replaced by a full Driver’s Licence and the above
restrictions are lifted.

Check the details at or get a leaflet from your
local post office.

Owning a car

All vehicles must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle
Licensing Agency (DVLA). Once registered you will be sent a
Vehicle Registration Document for your car

You must buy a road fund licence (road tax) for your car. The
licence lasts for either 6 or12 months and must be displayed on
the front windscreen of your vehicle at all times. You can buy the
road fund licence at the Post Office or direct from the DVLA via
their website.

                          YOUR SAFETY

You must insure your car and all driver(s). There is more than
one type of car insurance. If you choose ‘Fully Comprehensive’
Insurance, this means that if there is an accident, your insurance
will pay for repairs to your car or any other car and also covers
personal injury. Ask an insurance company for more information.
Insurance companies can be found in a phone book or on the

Cars over 3 years old

If the car is over 3 years old, the car must be inspected and
tested once a year by a garage authorised to do such tests. If
the car passes the test you will be given an MOT certificate,
which states that the car is safe to go on the road. If the vehicle
fails this test it cannot be driven upon any roads until all defects
are rectified.

You need to have the insurance certificate and MOT certificate to
get your road fund licence.

If you drive without the correct licence, insurance, MOT
certificate and Road Fund Licence you are committing an offence
and may find yourself being disqualified from driving if convicted.

Drink & Drug Driving

It is an offence for any person to drive or attempt to drive any
motor vehicle whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Any
person convicted of such an offence is automatically disqualified
from driving for a year.

This applies to any type of drug including prescribed medication
if it affects your driving ability. You are strongly advised not to
drive if you are considering consuming any alcohol. Even one
alcoholic drink can impair your senses and increase the time it
takes you to react to a situation.

                        FURTHER ADVICE

Further and Higher Education

Individuals such as Asylum Seekers, Refugees, Migrant Workers
and EU nationals may require funding if they wish to study a
course of further or higher education in Scotland. You can get
hold of a leaflet called Helping you Meet the Cost of Learning
from an Opportunity Centre or local college.

It will tell you how to receive funding, get information about your
rights associated with studying in Scotland and gives a number
of useful contacts.

Rights of Work During/After Studies


The Council for International Education
9-17 St Albans Place
London N1 ONX

Telephone advice:
020 7107 9922
1-4pm Monday –Friday


Diverse Routes

This information pack and website will be of interest to you if you
are thinking about studying at college or university, and you are

     a new migrant
     an EU national
     a refugee
     an asylum seeker
     or, perhaps you have been settled in Scotland for many

This website and information pack will provide you with an
overview of the diverse routes into higher education with topics
such as:

     English for speakers of other languages
     Recognition of prior learning
     Financial support
     Further information for asylum seekers and refugees

                          FURTHER ADVICE

   Other useful websites
   A general summary translated into 14 community

More information can also be found at:

Carnegie College

Carnegie College was established in 1899 and has a wealth of
experience of serving its local community - and much wider. The
college is pleased to welcome an increasing number of migrant
workers and international students over the years and are keen
to hear from you! We welcome all enquiries and will be pleased
to arrange an appointment to talk over your ideas and plans for
your future.

Carnegie College
Halbeath Road
KY11 8DY
Tel: 01383 845000

See also information on Adam Smith College, Kirkcaldy and
Elmwood College, Cupar earlier in this booklet.

Overseas Qualifications

UK NARIC (National Recognition Information Centre)

NARIC provides a qualifications equivalence service for people
with overseas qualifications who aim to work or study in the UK.

Individuals should contact UK NARIC direct:

Qualifications and Skills Division
Oriel House
Oriel Road
GL50 1XP
Tel: 0870 990 4088
Fax: 0870 990 1560

                       FURTHER ADVICE

Fresh Talent Initiative

Through the Fresh Talent Initiative, international students now
have a chance to apply for leave to enter or remain in Scotland
for two years after their graduation.

This will provide international graduates with the opportunity to
work in Scotland after they have completed their studies.

For more information and details of how to apply visit:

Self-Employed and Starting a Business

Business Gateway Fife is a single point of access to a wide
range of services for anyone wishing to become self-employed or
start a business.

They provide a wealth of information, expert guidance and a
range of seminars, workshops and events designed to help
develop essential business skills.

For anyone not sure if self-employment is an option for them,
they run an “Ideas Generation Workshop” four times a year. The
majority of events are held at their head office in Glenrothes, but
a meeting with an adviser can take place at their local offices in
Cupar, Leven, Kirkcaldy, Crosshill and Dunfermline.

An information pack or an appointment with a business adviser is
available by phoning, faxing or emailing their headquarters in

Business Gateway Fife

Kingdom House
Saltire Centre
Tel: 0845 609 6611

                         FURTHER ADVICE

General Advice and Rights Information/ Racial
Discrimination Advice

You can get free, confidential and independent advice from
Citizens Advice and Rights Fife (CARF)

They work with people across the region and can tell you about
other organisations in your area.

Five Local Area Office Contact Details:
Tel:- 08451 400095

CARF                                CARF
Glenrothes                          Kirkcaldy
119 Canmore Road                    11 Wemyssfield
Glenrothes                          Kirkcaldy,
KY7 4BJ                             KY1 1XN

CARF                                CARF
Cupar                               Cowdenbeath
11 St Catherine Street              322 High Street
Cupar                               Cowdenbeath
KY15 4LS                            KY4 9NT

14 Abbey Park Place
KY12 7PD

The CARF website address is
You can search for details and more information on your nearest
CARF office.

Adviceguide is a website that provides independent advice on
your rights. The website address is:

                          FURTHER ADVICE


Money Advice Partnership

Citizens Advice & Rights Fife (CARF) and Trading Standards
Money Advice Service now form part of the Money Advice
Partnership and are responsible for delivering the money advice
strategy in Fife.

If you find yourself in debt and would like advice about dealing
with debt, telephone CARF money advice service on 01592

Fife Credit Unions

Credit Unions are financial cooperatives owned and controlled by
their members. They offer convenient savings; great value loans
and they are local, ethical and know what their members want.

For more information about your nearest Credit Union, go to or call free on 0800 085 58 03

Advice and Rights Agencies

A directory of Fife based advice and rights agencies is available

Ethnic Minority Employment and Training Network (EMET)

The network brings together training and education providers,
employers and ethnic minorities across Fife by working in
partnership to improve employment, training and education
opportunities for ethnic minorities. It is led by Fife Council,
Scottish Enterprise Fife, Career Scotland, Jobcentre Plus, Fife
Constabulary and FRAE Fife.

                         FURTHER ADVICE
EMET Network Co-ordinator
Fife Council Development Services
Leven Opportunity Centre
Greig Institute
Forth Street
Tel: 01334 659383
Mobile: 0790 466 2189

Equal in Fife

The Equal in Fife Project aims to improve access to employment,
training and education for ethnic minority communities in Fife.

To find out more about the project and if it is suitable for you:

Fife Council
Development Services
Glenrothes Opportunity Centre
Fife House
North Street


Dongmei Zhao

Tel: 08451 55 55 55 + Ext 44 08 12

Local Ethnic Minority Community Support

FRAE (Fairness, Race Awareness and Equality) Fife
FRAE Fife works with the Minority Ethnic communities of Fife
and the main public service providers. They work with service
providers to keep them updated on developing policies, raising
their awareness of cultural diversity issues and act as a link to
the minority ethnic communities.

                         FURTHER ADVICE

Naeem Khalid
1 Victoria Road

Tel: 01592 204005
Email: or

Community Groups

There are many community groups in Fife. They can offer
support and advice. Contact FRAE Fife for more information.

Reporting Racial Incidents

Racial violence and harassment is a crime.

If you have been the victim of bullying, intimidation or abuse
because of your race, nationality or ethnic origin, report it to the
police or your local council office.

You can also report incidents by completing a self-reporting form,
or do it online at

Help is available - Fife’s Safer Neighbourhoods Team tackles
antisocial behaviour and provides support for victims of racial
incidents, homophobia, or disability-related hate crime.

If you would like to talk to someone at this agency contact:

Safer Neighbourhoods Team
Kingdom House
Saltire Centre

Tel: 0845 600 5702

                        FURTHER ADVICE

Victim Support Fife

Victim Support staff and volunteers are trained to understand
and recognise the practical and emotional difficulties caused by

Free, confidential and independent help is offered through a
choice of contact methods - telephone support, home visit or
office appointment - whichever suits best. Interpreting services
can also be arranged if required.

Support includes:

 Time to talk
 Reassurance about reactions
 Help and information about compensation claims (CICA)
 Personal safety and crime prevention information
 Support if the case goes to court in consultation with VIA and
  the Witness Service
 Information about other agencies
 Help with criminal justice procedures

Victim Support Fife is also funded to support people experiencing
antisocial behaviour and/or harassment within their community. It
is not necessary for the crime to be reported to receive a service
from Victim Support.

Area Office:
Victim Support Fife
Unit 17
Dunfermline Business Centre
Izatt Avenue
KY12 7QX

Tel:    0845 241 2126
        01383 621149
Text: 07825 206076
Contact: Mrs Margot MacKenzie, Area Co-ordinator

Office Hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm (4.30pm on Friday) and out of
hours answerphone

National Helpline No: 0845 30 30 900

                       FURTHER ADVICE

Support for Asylum Seekers & Refugees

Scottish Refugee Council

Scottish Refugee Council is an independent charity dedicated to
providing advice, information and assistance to asylum seekers
and refugees living in Scotland. They also provide specialist
services in areas such as housing and welfare, education and
employment, family reunion, women’s issues, community
development, the media and the arts.

Glasgow Head Office
5 Cadogan Square
170 Blythswood Court
G2 7PH

Tel: 0141 248 9799

Edinburgh Offices
Scottish Refugee Council offers services in Edinburgh from two

Edinburgh Refugee Centre
St. George's West
58 Shandwick Place

Citizen's Advice Bureau
58 Dundas Street

If you would like advice or information you can make an
appointment by calling: 0800 085 6087

The opening times of the Edinburgh offices are below.

You must first make an appointment.

                         FURTHER ADVICE

      Service               Location                 Times

                     Citizen's Advice
One Stop Service                            Monday 10:00-13:00
                                            Thursday 10:00-16:00
                  Edinburgh Refugee
One Stop Service                    Monday 14:00-16:00
                  Edinburgh Refugee
Housing & Welfare                   Thursday 13:00-16:00
Education &       Edinburgh Refugee
                                    Thursday 13:00-16:00
Employment        Centre

Immigration Advice, Representation and Appeal

Immigration Advisory Service (free)
115 Bath Street
G2 2SZ

Tel: 0141 248 2956
Fax: 0141 221 5388

Opening times:
9:00 – 17:00
Monday to Friday
(Appointment only)

Telephone Advice:
10:00-13.00, 14:00 –16:00 Wednesday only.

You can also contact your nearest Citizens Advice and Rights
Fife (CARF) office, if you would like more information about
immigration. Office contact details can be found earlier in this

Citizenship & Right of Abode

Nationality applications for Citizenship and Right of Abode are
dealt with by the Nationality Office in Liverpool, all enquires shall
be directed to them.

                        FURTHER ADVICE

Right of Abode

To apply, you should send the completed application form,
original documents and application fee, and 2 passport size
photographs, to:

Home Office Nationality Group
(Right of Abode)
PO Box 306
L2 7XS

Application forms can be found by visiting:


Application forms and guidance can be found at:

Tel: (Nationality Helpdesk) 0845 010 5200.


Ethnic Minorities Law Centre
41 St Vincent Place,
G1 2ER
Tel: 0141 204 2888

Legal Services Agency
Fleming House,
134 Renfrew Street,
G3 6TS
Tel: 0141 353 3354

                       FURTHER ADVICE

Returning Home

If you were forced to come to the UK or came here thinking you
had a job and have found that there is no work for you, the IOM -
International Organization for Migration can help you if you
want to return to your own country. They will make sure that you
return safely.

IOM International Organization for Migration
38 Queen Street
G1 3DX

Tel: 0800 783 2332 (free number)

Fife Cares Home Safety and Security

The Homecheck Service offers free home safety checks for the
over 60s and other vulnerable people. It is free to home owners
and council tenants.

The Home Security Service is for the over 70s or vulnerable
clients and offers a free home security check.

If you would like a visit please call, 01592 599599 (24 hour
answering machine) or for further information, contact Samantha
Roberts on 01383 609650 (


Sports and Leisure Centres

Carnegie Leisure    Fife Institute of   Cupar Sports
Centre              Physical &          Centre
Pilmuir Street,     Recreational        Carslogie Rd,
Dunfermline         Education           Cupar
KY12 0QE            Viewfield,          KY15 4HY
Tel: 01383 602304   Glenrothes          Tel: 01334 659324
                    KY6 2RB
                    Tel: 01592 583305

Cowdenbeath         Bowhill Swimming    East Sands
Leisure Centre      Pool                Leisure Centre
7 Pit Road,         141 Station Rd,     East Sands,
Cowdenbeath         Cardenden,          St. Andrews
KY4 9NN             Lochgelly           KY16 8LH
Tel: 01383 602305   KY5 0BW             Tel: 01334 476506
                    Tel: 01592 583304

Dalgety Bay         Kirkcaldy           Levenmouth
Sports & Leisure    Swimming Pool       Swimming Pool
Centre              Esplanade,          Promenade,
Harbour Drive,      Kirkcaldy.          Leven
Dalgety Bay,        KY1 1RQ             KY8 4PA
Dunfermline         Tel: 01592 583306   Tel: 01334 659325
KY11 9NA
Tel: 01383 602306

Townhill Sports     The Beacon          Waterstone Crook
Complex             Leisure Centre      Sports Centre
Townhill Country    Lammerlaws,         Kirk Road,
Park,               Burntisland         Newport-On-Tay
Townhill,           KY3 9BS             DD6 8HY
Dunfermline         Tel: 01592 583383   Tel: 01382 542401
KY12 0HT
Tel: 01383 724210

Bruce Street
Sports Centre
37 Bruce Street,
KY12 7AG
Tel: 01383 602385


Museums etc.

Abbot House          Kirkcaldy Museum     St Andrews
Heritage Centre      & Art Gallery        Museum
Maygate,             Abbotshall Road,     Kinburn Park
Dunfermline          Kirkcaldy            Double Dykes
KY12 7NE             KY1 1YG              Road,
Tel: 01383 733 266   Tel: 01592 583213    St Andrews
                                          KY16 9DP
                                          Tel: 01334 659380

Lochgelly Centre     Adam Smith           Byre Theatre
Theatre              Theatre              Abbey Street,
Bank Street,         Bennochy Road,       St Andrews
Lochgelly            Kirkcaldy            KY16 9LA
KY5 9RD              KY1 1ET              Tel: 01334 475 000
Tel: 01592 583303    Tel: 01592 583302

                     Rothes Hall          Buckhaven
                     Rothes Square,       Parish Church
                     The Kingdom          Theatre
                     Centre,              Lawrence Street,
                     Glenrothes           Buckhaven,
                     KY7 5NX              Leven
                     Tel: 01592 611 101   KY8 1BQ
                                          Tel: 01592 715 577

                      QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
Business Gateway Fife                                 Tel: 0845 609 6611
Careers Scotland                                      See page 60
Citizens Advice and Rights Fife                       Tel: 08451 400095
Citizenship (Nationality Helpdesk)                    Tel: 0845 010 5200
Colleges in Fife                                      See page 10 & 58
Community Groups                                      See page 63
Contraception and Sexual Health                       Tel: 01592 643774
Council Tax Collection Office                         Tel: 08451 55 11 55
Dentist - Difficulty in Finding                       Tel: 01592 740 230
Dentists - A list of Dentists in Fife 
Dentists – Emergency Treatment                        Tel: 01592 740230
Doctor (GP) - Difficulty in Finding (GP)              Tel: 0131 537 8424
Doctors - A list of Doctors (GPs) in Fife
Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)            Tel: 0870 850 0007
ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
       Central Fife                                   Tel: 01592 583342
       East Fife                                      Tel: 01334 659363
       West Fife                                      Tel: 01383 602359
Education – The Bilingual Support Service             Tel: 08451 555555
                                                      ext. 441941
Education - Informal (Out of School Activities)       Tel: 01592 414812
Education Pre-School (Children aged 3 and 4)          Tel: 08451 555 555
                                                      ext. 442074
Education - Primary Schools                           See page 44
Education - Secondary Schools                         See page 45
Equal in Fife                                         Tel: 01592 414952
Ethnic Minority Employment and Training (EMET)Tel: 01334 659383
Fife Childcare Information Service                    Tel: 01592 776406
Fife Community Interpreting Services                  Tel: 01592 611745
Fife Council’s Website                      
FRAE (Fairness, Race Awareness and Equality) Fife
                                                      Tel: 01592 204005
Further and Higher Education                          See page 45
Home Office Worker Registration Team                  Tel: 0114 207 6022
Homeless Call Point                                   Tel: 01383 313897
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs                     Tel: 0845 9154515
Immigration Advice, Representation and Appeal         Tel: 0141 248 2956
IOM International Organization for Migration          Tel: 0800 783 2332
                                                       (free number)
Jobcentre Plus                                        See page 14
Jobseeker Direct                                      Tel: 0845 6060234
Leisure and Recreation                                See page 69
Libraries                                             See page 47
Minimum Wage Helpline                                 Tel: 0845 6000 678
National Health Service 24 Hours - NHS 24             Tel: 08454 24 24 24.
National Insurance Numbers                            Tel: 0845 6000643
Opportunity Centres                                   See page 50
Police                                                Tel: 0845 600 5702
Rubbish Collection Information                        Tel: 08451 55 00 22
Genitourinary Medicine and Sexual Health              Tel: 01383 624079
Reporting racial incidents                            Tel: 0845 600 5702
School Transport                                      Tel: 01592 583219
Scottish Enterprise Fife                              Tel: 01592 623000
Scottish Refugee Council                              Tel: 0141 248 9799
Scottish TUC                                          Tel: 0141 337 8100
Transport                                             See page 2
UK NARIC (National Recognition Information Centre) Tel: 0870 990 4088

          As with all publications of this nature,
information can become dated or can be improved upon.
     Should you find an item like this, please contact



Shared By: