DENVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS
TO: All New Employees
FROM: Stephen Finley, Risk Manager
Karen Bright, Supervisor, Workers’ Compensation
DATE: 2010-2011 School Year
SUBJECT: Workers’ Compensation Closed Medical System
Employers within the State of Colorado have the right to designate medical providers for their injured
employees. Denver Public Schools has chosen five occupational health clinics to provide care and
treatment for our injured employees. Should you seek medical treatment for a job-related injury from your
private physician or through another clinic or hospital, you may be financially responsible for that care. If
the injury is a crisis situation requiring emergency care, a life- or limb-threatening injury, you may seek
treatment at the nearest emergency room.
PROCEDURE FOR USING THE CLOSED MEDICAL SYSTEM
1. At the time of the injury, please notify your supervisor or the secretary. If you need to be
examined, please report to the nearest designated clinic.
2. Your supervisor will initiate an Authorization for Treatment form which needs to be signed by
the supervisor or secretary.
3. As soon as possible, please complete the Notification of Injury form with your supervisor or
4. You may call the nearest designated clinic for an appointment or you can just walk in. A map
listing the locations of the clinics is on the Authorization for Treatment.
5. You must present the Authorization for Treatment form at one of the five designated clinics.
6. In case of an emergency, call 911 for LIFE- OR LIMB-THREATENING job-related injuries.
7. A written Work Status form will be given to you at each clinic visit. You will need to give the
Work Status form to your supervisor. If you are given temporary work restrictions, please ask
to be accommodated. If your department is unable to provide modified duty, the District will
provide alternative work within the first four months from your date of injury.
8. If your medical treatment requires physical therapy, the first week of physical therapy
appointments will be scheduled by Clinic staff. Subsequent appointments may be scheduled
by you and should be arranged to not conflict with your work schedule.
All of the above information and forms may be accessed
through www.dpsk12.org under Human Resources “Benefits”
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
900 GRANT STREET / DENVER, CO 80203
I have been notified by my employer, Denver Public Schools, of the procedures to follow in
the event I incur a work-related injury/illness. I understand that my employer has designated
HealthOne (Aurora, Bryant and Lodo) clinic and OccMed Colorado (Aurora and Thornton) as the
designated providers for all work-related injuries/illnesses. I understand that if I do not use these
clinics for work-related injuries/illnesses, I will be financially responsible for that care.
I have received information about the closed medical system and know that a written
authorization is required from my employer before I access medical care for non-emergency work-
Employee Signature Date
School or Building Department