Day 1.1 Diffraction of Light and PEOE (Predict Explain Observe Explain (9.2)
1) A laser pointer produces a bright red circle on the wall. What will it look like if you look at it through
two pencils held vertically and almost touching? Why?
2) What will happen if the pencils are squeezed closer together? Why?
3) What will you see if the light is shone through the slit onto a wall? Why?
4) What will change if green laser light is used? Why?
5) What will you see if you look at white light through the two vertical pencils? Why?
6) What will you see if red plastic is put in front of the light? Why?
Sound and Water Waves
Google PhET or go to http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/wave-interference
7) What will water waves look like if they pass through a narrow opening? Why? Draw this.
8) What will water waves do if they pass through an even narrower opening? Why? Draw this.
9) What kind of water wave is similar to red light? blue light?
10) What kind of sound is similar to red light? blue light?
11) What kind of water wave is similar to bright light? dim light?
12) What kind of sound is similar to bright light? dim light?
13) What kind of sound can you hear best around corners? Why? Watch
http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=123581 (Ace Ventura)
14) Where can you see water diffracting in real life? Google: Diffraction Ocean Waves or
Textbook: p. 454 #1 – 4, p. 488 # 3, 4, 12, 13
Assignment: Email email@example.com in the next 36 hours using 24 words or less an answer to each
of the following: Why it is easier to see tiny objects under blue light rather than red light? Why does
diffraction show that light is made of waves and not a string of particles?