HOW TO APPLY FOR AN AMERICAN EXPRESS CORPORATE TRAVEL CARD
Purpose of Card
The University offers full time staff a no charge American Express Card to facilitate the
procurement of travel related expenses such as airline tickets, restaurant meals, hotel
accommodations, rental cars, conference registrations and cash advances. The American Express
Corporate card is available to full time University employees who travel and/or entertain as part of
their normal job requirements.
The Amex Card differs from the corporate Visa in the following:
1) The American Express Card is used to pay for business travel expenses. The Visa is used
to purchase low value goods and services.
2) The cardholder is responsible for all charges on their monthly Amex statement. The
cardholder must submit an expense reimbursement request to the Finance Office for
processing. Upon receipt of the funds the cardholder then pays their American Express
3) American Express charges are payable in their entirety within 45 days of appearing on the
4) IF the cardholder fails to pay their American Express bill the cardholder will become liable
for all charges owing.
5) The card has a cash advance feature of $1500 Canadian monthly subject to 1$ transaction
fee and 2% interest.
6) The card has no specific transaction limit.
7) The card cannot be used for personal purchases.