PROMOTION DOSSIER GUIDELINES
CANDIDATES FOR FULL LIBRARIAN
These guidelines are presented to assist Candidates, the Chair of the promotions committee and
the Dean/Director of Libraries in the preparation of the Statutory Selection Committee dossiers of
Candidates for promotion to Full Librarian.
Please note the Candidate’s dossier, and the assessments and recommendations made by the
promotions committee and the Dean/Director must be directed to a Candidate’s performance of
her or his “academic duties” and the “criteria for promotion” as these are defined in the
Regulations Relating to the Employment of Librarian Staff (see sections 1.2.2 and 4.2).
A. Candidates shall submit to the Chair of the promotions committee and to the
Dean/Director two distinct electronic packages:
the “Committee Members’ Package” (see B, below); and
an “Appendix” (see C, below).
B. The “COMMITTEE MEMBERS' PACKAGE” shall comprise of:
1. A Candidate’s up-to-date and complete curriculum vitae (including a list of
publications that clearly identifies peer-reviewed publications).
2. A summary of the Candidate’s “position responsibilities which require the exercise of
professional expertise or practice.”
3. A summary of the Candidate’s “professional and scholarly activities, which may
4. A summary of the Candidate’s “other contributions to the University and scholarly
5. (Where appropriate) a summary of the Candidate’s “teaching dossier” (see Appendix
A of the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Librarian Staff).
6. Where it is a candidate with ten (10) years as associate librarian who has requested
the establishment of a Statutory Selection Committee, a written statement
supporting his or her claim to promotion.
C. The “APPENDIX” shall comprise of supplementary documentation such as:
1. Copies of publications (optional).
2. Other documents on the basis of which the summaries and statements in the
“Committee Members' Package” were prepared.
3. (Where appropriate) the Candidate’s complete teaching dossier.
4. Other material that the Candidate wishes to bring to the attention of the Statutory
NOTE FOR CHAIR OF THE PROMOTIONS COMMITTEE AND THE DEAN/DIRECTOR OF
The full dossier to be considered by a Statutory Selection Committee will also include:
At least three confidential letters of reference from recognized authorities in the candidates
field, some external to the University;
The written recommendations/reports of the Chair of the department and of the Dean;
If the candidate for promotion to full librarian holds a tenure-track appointment but is not yet
tenured, the dossier must contain reports of the Library Tenure Committee and the University
Tenure Committee (since promotion carries with it tenure).